Load DataWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need load data for 40S&W

Boolit Buddy

need load data for 40S&W

180gr FP(cast of course) and TiteGroup

Neither manual i have show data. Assuming i need newer manuals?

thanks
    Last edited by DeadWood; 01-23-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: powder

Boolit Master

What powders?...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

The Lyman 175 grain TC and magma 180 grain are close enough.
    You can probably also find data on the powder manufactures web site.
    then there's cast pics section on this forum to look through.

Are you still pondering what powder to by or where you at.

Boolit Buddy
    Springfield XDM
    Hodgdon TiteGroup
    180gr FP (http://shop.snscasting.com/product.s...0&categoryId=1)

Boolit Grand Master

Try the Hodgdon web site.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Typically you can use jacketed bullet data safely with lead boolits, although the velocity
    will not be particularly close. In my experience, you usually get higher velocity with lead
    than the same wt jacketed.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    had checked Hodgdon site. Wasn't sure if i could use "J" data with cast.

Next question, Do you consider this powder "safe" to use with cast boolits? or does it burn to fast/hot?

Recomendations on other powders

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadWood View Post
    had checked Hodgdon site. Wasn't sure if i could use "J" data with cast.
    I will never criticize any reloader--novice or veteran--who hesitates and wants to get a second (or multiple) opinion because they're either not sure of something, or not comfortable with something.

(I will, however, reserve the right to get highly irritated at those who decide one day that "I'm gonna be a reloader" and come to a website and request data for every caliber they own because they're too busy to be bothered to buy a reloading manual and read it.)

I've found that there are some boolits, styles and weights that there is just not much data for. In those instances, I find the closest possible bullet and weight combination, compare powders, then start at the low-end. This also goes for comparing to jacketed loads as well.

At the same time, I'm not bashful about asking for others' input and experience here as well. That's what everyone is here for, after all.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=Recluse;788881]I will never criticize any reloader--novice or veteran--who hesitates and wants to get a second (or multiple) opinion because they're either not sure of something, or not comfortable with something.

Thats me novice(also big dreamer) and like Multiple opinions until i feel comfortable.

i know why newbies get a bad rap, i often get sick listening to myself.

Boolit Grand Master

(Good to ask around. Recluse is right, often there is little info available and you
    have to take what you can get and make sure you are starting "too low" (safe
    pressures) and work up. Cross comparing different sources is good, especially if
    they list pressures.

TG is perfectly fine with cast lead boolits. It is on the fast side and may possibly
    reach max pressure before reaching max velocity in a particular caliber. In most
    cases maximum velocity loads are obtained with powders that are 'slow' for that
    cartridge. I use TG for .45 ACP as my first choice (cast 200 gr lead).

Hodgdon shows that Longshot (slower) gives just under 1200 fps with the 180 XTP at max
    pressure where TG produces only 978 fps at the same pressure. So, if you feel like
    you need maximum possible velocity, TG isn't going to deliver it. Of course, a 978 fps
    load should be fine for practice and target shooting.

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Bill and others. Loads will be for paractice and target shooting as stated. I feel i learn/understand more when asking on the forums. It seems something positive always comes of it as in this question the poweder in general was questioned in my search with using cast boolits. I find that GREAT forums such as this is often the best place to learn once you have read the "manuals". Received my Lyman Cast manual last week and have been reading (first few chapters are great if history buff), but manuals just cover the basics and particulars, they often leave me with more questions than before i read.

Thanks everyone

Got to get a chronograph!! if just for my own sense of wanting to understand more

Boolit Master

+1 on the chronograph. It is an inexpensive learning tool at about $100. Get with someone who can look at cases and evaluate primers for signs of pressure. What is safe with one boolit might not be with another. I didn't have time to cast for an IPSC match last fall and bought commercial boolits. Using my usual 4.7 grains of Titegroup (I am NOT recommending this as a starting load!) which pushes my 178.5 grain boolit at 940 fps, the velocity went to 1045 fps with someone else's boolit. The primers flattened considerably. His boolits measured .001 larger and 3 to 4 grains heavier than mine. Little changes can make big differences, especially in this cartridge. You might start with 4.0 to 4.2 grains of TG and see if it will cycle your gun. If not, increase the charge in 0.1 gr increments until you get reliable ejection and pickup of the new round. I use only Federal or Winchester primers with this load so I don't know how it would work with other primers.

Another big factor with .40 S&W is seating depth. Be sure you keep the depth constant so you don't build dangerous pressures or get erratic results. Measure your overall length often to maintain consistency.

I'll plug the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph. The digital model has a 10 string memory. If you get a bad shot you can remove it from the string and get your adjusted averages. It's light and easy to set up- very friendly to use.

David

Boolit Grand Master

Make sure your combination of neck tension (brass ID vs boolit diam) plus crimp make
    it impossible to push the boolit into the case. David2011's example agrees with several
    friend's reports that .40S&W is running close to the edge as a cartidge design and you
    don't want a boolit pushing into the case and dramatically increasing the pressures.

Start low, work up slowly. David2011 is also dead on about ejection as a useful indicator
    of where your ammo is compared to normal factory loads. Of course, it isn't any direct
    indicator or pressures, but if your cases are landing 2 ft away you can be sure that they
    are lower pressure than a load which has cases landing in the next zip code.

This method doesn't work so well for revolvers.

Be safe.

Bill

Lead loads for 40sw

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding 175-180gr lead loads. I think I made a newbie mistake by using the lyman load data for 175gr lead fp bullet instead of finding data for a 180gr fp. I have had several case failures in the past week using these new bullets, and I am wondering if I have loaded them too hot. I am using 5.7 gr of w231 which is just inside of the max for the lyman book of 5.8. Several of my other manuals show 5.7 as a starting load, but I feel like I am already close to what is a max load. I pulled a couple of the new 180gr and weighted them, they all weighted in at 180 +4gr. Any ideas or suggestions as to how everyone else feels about this level of a load? and is it too much for the bigger bullet?

What does weight due to pressure? Is there a general rule of thumb regarding increase of weight for an increase in pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by smaj100 View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a question regarding 175-180gr lead loads. I think I made a newbie mistake by using the lyman load data for 175gr lead fp bullet instead of finding data for a 180gr fp. I have had several case failures in the past week using these new bullets, and I am wondering if I have loaded them too hot. I am using 5.7 gr of w231 which is just inside of the max for the lyman book of 5.8. Several of my other manuals show 5.7 as a starting load, but I feel like I am already close to what is a max load. I pulled a couple of the new 180gr and weighted them, they all weighted in at 180 +4gr. Any ideas or suggestions as to how everyone else feels about this level of a load? and is it too much for the bigger bullet?

What does weight due to pressure? Is there a general rule of thumb regarding increase of weight for an increase in pressure?
    The suggested starting load from the 49th Lyman manual for Lyman #401638 is 4.3 grains of WW231. Now you know why. Lyman reloading books are full of hot loads. Looking in the Hodgdon book or website you'll see they list 5.0 grains as max for the 180 grain bullet. With WW 231 or HP38. Same powder.

As far as weight the Lyman bullet cast from 2/6 allow weighs 177gr. Your overall length for that Magma bullet would probably be out to 1.125”. whatever fits before hitting rifling or not fitting the magazine. The magma nose is a bit longer with a bit smaller meplat. As mentioned above 40 S&W, as is 9 x 19mm, are sensitive to overall length as it effects case capacity. .040” makes a big difference.

I see a kinetic bullet puller in your future.

Then tell us what kind of case failure.

case failure

Gabby,

I already own the puller and have started disassembling all 200rnds of this lead load.

The 2 case failures I experienced occurred in this order. The first head came off leaving the case stuck in the barrel, the 2nd case failed the same way except the gun failed and part of the polymer frame separated from the rest of the gun in my wifes hands. Luckily she only experienced some very minor powder burns along her shooting finger. The gun has been replaced by the manufacturer. I guess that's what happens when you assume that the lyman book should be, the be all end all book on reloading lead. I won't make that mistake twice or will I blindly take pre-made bullets at the weight listed on the box.

Oh my I'd call that a catastrophic failure. Verbs are helpful at times.

If you used the COL listed for the Lyman bullet you deep seated them by .025”. It all adds up.
    A few extra grains in bullet weight isn't going to cause that high pressure or even be a contributing factor in it. Hot charge to start with. Deep seating or incorrect weight of powder. Out of curiosity I'd check my scales then weigh a few of the powder charges from dissembled rounds. If you've not adjusted your measure drop a couple charges to see what it's doing.

Lyman manual clearly advises you to start with the listed start charge. So I'd not say the manual is wrong.

Had to be a Glock?
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman .. . Neither works.

Women always say that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts.There is no way to prove that they are wrong.

But a year or so after giving birth a woman will often say "It would be nice to have another child".

You never hear a guy say, "It would be nice to get kicked in the nuts again".

In Remembrance

If you have a bullet or powder combo that isn't covered in some CURRENT book, you should ALWAYS call the powder manufacturer, and ask them for their reload data. They all have 800 numbers for you to call, and they consider your safety above all else.

They'll either advise you of the load data for that powder/bullet or advise you to NOT use that powder for whatever reason.

I've never had them not tell me what load data to use.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by johnlaw484 View Post
    Had to be a Glock?
    It was actually a Taurus 24/7, which has a fully supported chamber unlike some glocks. Less than 2k rnds through it.

Boolit Master
    You can also check out www.hodgdon.com. They have powder listed for their powders and two other manufacturers.. I think Winchester and IMR. Otherwise you can check out Alliant's powder web site as well for their loading data. The powder companies tend to be pretty conservative but it's a good starting point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast