RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: A complete waste of time, but I proved my point.

Boolit Grand Master

A complete waste of time, but I proved my point.

You can use this for the club flyer if you want...

Two Moons Challenge

I was sitting peacefully minding my own business when two malicious miscreants who shall remain unnamed ( Thank you Don and Mick) came up to me and one threw a mass of rust and dirt in my lap. On closer inspection the heap was a CVA (Confederate Virginia Armory??? ) kit gun that had been assembled with a horseshoe rasp and a cold chisel and then buried in the back yard for about a hundred years. The gun was rusted solid and one wise acre commented, "Lets see Two Moons fix that, I'll bet a hundred bucks that one will never fire again". At the time I was inclined to agree.

I took the gun home and thinking I might salvage some parts I dumped it into a bucket of Kroil for about 3 months. Whe I took it out I was able to pound out the wedge and tapped the barrel off the frame. Just for fun I ran a brush through the bore and flushed out GREASE! The bore had been greased and was just about perfect. Well that did it. Since the gun was a kit gun and the original owner had never even tried to finish the gun there was meat to work with.

Off to the lathe, I first made a mandrel and then chucked up the cylinder and trued it up and turned off about 3 thousands of surface. I then took a backer and polished the cylinder, and used emery on a dowel to polish the flutes. I did ream the chambers to 278 with a reamer to get a smooth finish for the ball seat, this should work with a 380 ball. A couple hours later I had a nice smooth shiny cylinder. Off and running... I draw filed the barrel and sanded it to 220 grit with backers made from scrap maple. ( to get an even finish you always use a backer even on rounds. I make mine from maple scrap about 8" long and slit on one end to hold the emery cloth. )
    Polishing the rammer assembly went ok and when done only the smallest pits still remained.

The frame had never been properly finished and was still mostly rough casting. Rather than make a fixture to hole it in the milling machine I clamped it to the bench and worked it down with files. ( Hint: If you want your file work to come out flat don’t just hold the file by the handle, put either you fore finger along the file or put your off hand on the front to keep the file from rocking) When the frame was flat and the casting marks gone I then started with emery and worked it down to 220 and then finished on a buffing wheel. I will note that if you don't have a buffing wheel (also known as a parts thrower) The final polish can be done just as well with steel wool. ( Steel wool comes from metal sheep who feed in iron rich ground)

When it came time to finished the frame I put the grips into the frame and filed , sanded and buffed those right with the frame. This gave an almost seamless fit, except where the fellow with the rast had attacked first. As you can see in Photo #1 the gun was looking good on the outside but...

Inside most of the small parts and springs had rusted away. In addition the previous abuser only owned two screwdrivers, too big and too small. The big one was hammered into the screw slots till it fit well enough to burr the heads good and the small one broke off and was later made into a small cold chisel, useful for boogering the inside of the frame. The screw heads that could be saved were put in a swedge block and swedged into shape and the slots re cut. The hammer notches were cleaned and stoned and the trigger/sear was cleaned and recut. The hand and spring, the locking bolt and the bolt spring were replaced along with the main spring, total parts cost with shipping was right at $40. These parts were all fitted and the trigger pull was set at 2.5#. The front sight was removed and a new sight dovetailed into the barrel and the rear notch on the hammer opened up. The gun can now be set for windage and the front sight should file down to a perfect dead on hold at 20 yards. The last step was a coat of cold blue. I was going to slow rust blue the gun and I may do this later, right now I really don't want to fire up the humidity cabinet. The bottom line is $40 worth of parts and 16 hours of labor. Now since I charge $15 and hour for labor in the shop I figure this gun is now worth $280 dollars and it looks ALMOST as nice as the one on the internet for $125.00. Did I mention I am a bohunk?

Oh yes I did fire 5 shots from the gun just to make sure and it DOES shoot, where's my hundred bucks?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two Moons Challenge 006.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

A man after my own heart!

Looks like you did an admirable job!

Nothing like a challenge to get you going.

I'm thinking you should track down those miscreants down and get $100.00 each out of them.

Nice work.

Longbow

Boolit Master

If they don't give you the 100 bucks just shoot'em with the pistol, well maybe not probably those characters ain't worth going to jail over, just scare em real good!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    That is a GOOD job salvaging a rust bucket... you did well !
    The best part is a shootable barrel.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Now since I charge $15 and hour for labor in the shop I figure this gun is now worth $280 dollars and it looks ALMOST as nice as the one on the internet for $125.00.
    Now that is my kind of project!
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master

$15 per hour????????????????????? That is a misprint isn't it? If not what address do I send my 5 or 6 unfinished projects to?

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

the previous abuser only owned two screwdrivers, too big and too small.
    Laugh of the morning right there!

Looks like a fine shootin iron to me!
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Grand Master

We'll see when we shoot it. The biggest problem with the repro's is that the barrels do not have a proper twist. 1-48 is not really suitable for a pistol. I have relined some pistols with 1-18 twist barrel stock and boy does that help the grouping. But I don't think I am going quite that far to prove a point. The $15.00 an hour is what I was charging in 2000 when the shop was open, that is for hand labor and machine work was $25.00 an hour. Hopefully we will re open sometime this fall as my retirment is finalized. If I get to the point of taking work again I will post it here, but at this point I have a couple of dealers who want to contract my work. What I really want to do is get back to building custom muzzleloaders.

Forget the perceived $$$ value of your time (which is horribly understated I might add) and think about the sense of satisfaction you know you are feeling. FINE job.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

I was being facetious, but anybody who can do that sort of work that nice is worth more than that even in 2000. That is skill and patience at it's best.

Bob

Boolit Master

That a dang good restore job!
    Yep, $15 an hour is too low for good work in any era- but only those who appreciate and understand what is involved are willing to pay more these days it seems, even from a proven craftsman.
    Don't shoot them to get your hundred- pistol whip them with it!

I was loooking at various muzzleloader kits on line just a little while ago. It's a shame the prices they are charging for any of them (rifle or handgun). Your total for the one above is still very reasonable in comparison.
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

Way back in the 70s a buddy and I made the pilgrimage to Dixie Gun Works to mainly buy powder. He had an FFL and we could get 50lbs of BP for $2 a pound and the way we were going through it, this was a deal. Well you got 2 kids in a candy store and anyway we came back with more than powder. I bought a 58 Remington Kit for $40 or $45 IIRC and had a ball with it. Sold it but probably should have kept it. There was so much stuff around cheap back then it just came and went.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Reminds me of one that I had forgotten about. A good many years ago I gave a few dollars for a 36 ca. brass frame C&B revolver. It had been shot till the cylinder had set back in the frame and two inches of the bore at the muzzle was pitted. I set the cylinder back, set the barrel back, made a new wedge, cut the barrel and loading lever off and made a new front sight. It shot pretty good but after all that work I gave it to a friend that wanted one to go with his primitive outfit. I did it mostly to see if I could.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master
    ( Steel wool comes from metal sheep who feed in iron rich ground)
    I always wondered where that came from.

Seriously, nice job.

Robert

Nice work and $15 an hour is robbing yourself!!
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.

In Remembrance
    Not "a complete waste of time"! Excellent post - excellent work.
    I like the swaging idea for screw heads, as is said 'the metal is not gone, just displaced' and the way to fix it is not to file or enlarge the slots, just to push the metal back.
    You brought that old revolver back from an undeserved early grave and are a true craftsman.
    You know you could make good $ in restoration, you should consider it.
    Alan Harton http://www.gunblast.com/AlanHarton.htm does that kind of work and is well-respected.