WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: .358 bullet out of 36 cal rifle

Boolit Mold

Talking .358 bullet out of 36 cal rifle

Hey guys. I know I've seen it before--how feasible is it to cast .358 bullets in pure lead then just hand lube them and fire them from a 36cal (.360) muzzloader rifle. The rifle has a1:48 twist Green Mountain barrel. I would try to keep the bullet weight between 125 to 158 gr. In fact there is a Lee mold .358/140 rg semi-wadcutter I have in mind for this project.

Banned
    If you kick em at the right speed it might just work. I shoot pure lead fat 30 caliber loverins out of a homespun underhammer pistol barrel that used to be a .318 bore small ring mauser barrel. Very accurate if I keep the loads "peppy". I just smear some tallow/beeswax or such in the grooves and seat them like I would any R.E.A.L boolit. I have found a lubed felt under the boolit to really help shrink groups.

WELCOME to the fray by the way

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.
    What would be wrong with sizing them?? And lubing them in the sizer??

I am thinking about trying the same thing. But I want to go with a bit heavier bullet. I have an RCBS mold I want to try. But I will resize the bullet and lube the bullet.

I just got my new 36 caliber MZ, so I have not had a chance to slug the barrel yet. But it is on the agenda. And I see no reason why a good slip conical will not work. I think I am going to try a bit over sized wad??

If you try anything then keep us informed. And I will do the same. Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Master

Welcome popgunner, I have had good luck many years ago with swaged hollow base wadcutters, just put some lube in the base. I think the old timers called them mini balls. I have a full compition in line pistol that was cut for wad cutters. Cast pure and a wad under them and if a pistol shot had it it will hold the 10 ring at 50 yds. The wad keeps the gas from by passing the bullet.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Should work fine. I was given a .40cal hollow base (Minie) mould for my pair of 40's and the caplock LOVES it. The bullet casts at .396 which is undersized for the bore so I paper patch it to .403 and MAN alive does it shoot!?

If you stick with 9mm bullets and maybe patch them I bet they will work but only the short ones eg: 100-120gr.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

OK JeffinNZ just how good is "MAN alive does it shoot!" in terms of inches sorry silly little mm's at 100 meters?

This is three shots at 50m/55y. Good enough?

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Yes sir that surely is, good shootin' is that pink color some kind of lube on the paper?
    Thanks for the reply a picture isn't necessory for me plain ole feet and inches or mm's would work fine. How about the rate of twist? Hope you don't mind so many questions as I'm thinking about a 40 cal barrel for my underhammer. I want something comfortable to carry and has to be 40 cal or larger to be legal for deer hunting in my state. Thanks again appreciate the answers.
    Richard.

The pink is 9lb onion skin paper and the twist is 1-48 (Colerain). Lubed with a very light coat of Neatsfoot oil.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    i'm a big fan of .451 pistol boolits in 45 cal. muzzleloaders. if the boolit makes contact with the rifling lands, and are cast of pure lead, any hunting or moderate to heavy target load should obturate the bullet to fill the rifling grooves. works just the maxi bullets sold by t.c.