WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 38 / 380 update, trouble in par-a-dice

38 / 380 update, trouble in par-a-dice

i posted a while ago about using lee 105g cast boolits (6 cavity swc mold for the 38 special) in my 380acp. well i was at the loading bench today, and i was having a heck of a time, but only with some of them. as it turned out, i was extremely lucky the first time i loaded these up, and all the cases turned out to be either winchester, or r-p cases. today, i got some magtec (cbc) and a few starline mixed in, and they really goofed things up. the internal taper of the brass is different on the later two, and the boolits do not want to seat consistently, plus, these boolits actually swell the case a bit at the bottom of the boolit. so, if you are going to use this combination, be sure to check your brass. and only use winchester or r-p (remington). of course none of this would be necessary if lee just made a 102g (380) r.n. bullet mold in a 6 cavity mold. i just R-E-F-U-S-E to sit there all day to make a batch of bullets 2 at a time!

Boolit Master

Why not? I just cast 460 357/150 boolits with a LEE two holer. Took about half the afternoon or less. They came out at 151gr +- less than a grain and miked 360 on the driving bands.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Bub
    I agree with mpmarty. I have a Lee 2 hole 358-105swc. and this past summer I sat in the garage and casted over 600 in 2 days.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

lee

I have a six cavity lee in that bullet.but its 356-111-1R.not listed in cat.got it from midsouthshooters.????????????I knew I had one and just checked.and thats the number I have call and ask.
    WILDCATT

Oh no! With 380 ammo so hard to come by I saw some talk about using the 38-105g mpuld so I ordered one from Graf & sons. I'll have to check on my brass...
    The seating problem...is it the bullet deforming a tad insted of pushing down? I noticed that the LEE die goes into the case deeper than my RCBS die?
    Quote Originally Posted by XWrench3 View Post
    i posted a while ago about using lee 105g cast boolits (6 cavity swc mold for the 38 special) in my 380acp. well i was at the loading bench today, and i was having a heck of a time, but only with some of them. as it turned out, i was extremely lucky the first time i loaded these up, and all the cases turned out to be either winchester, or r-p cases. today, i got some magtec (cbc) and a few starline mixed in, and they really goofed things up. the internal taper of the brass is different on the later two, and the boolits do not want to seat consistently, plus, these boolits actually swell the case a bit at the bottom of the boolit. so, if you are going to use this combination, be sure to check your brass. and only use winchester or r-p (remington). of course none of this would be necessary if lee just made a 102g (380) r.n. bullet mold in a 6 cavity mold. i just R-E-F-U-S-E to sit there all day to make a batch of bullets 2 at a time!

Boolit Master

I hate 2 cavity moulds too, after getting used to my 6's. So I buy 2- 2 cavity moulds and run them in tandem. Much better. They don't make 6 cavity ball moulds yet so this works for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TAWILDCATT View Post
    I have a six cavity lee in that bullet.but its 356-111-1R.not listed in cat.got it from midsouthshooters.????????????I knew I had one and just checked.and thats the number I have call and ask.
    How long ago did you get it? I have one of these in a 2 cavity and would like to get one in a six. It is a discontinued model, I have it listed in some old Lee catalogs, but that was before they had the 6 cavity molds. Wish I could find one. Thanks, Billy
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!