WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Does this look right???

Boolit Bub

Does this look right???

Picked up a lightly used 311359 recently and finally found time to cast a few boolits. Immediately noticed the shank looked too long and it looks as if the cherry cut too deep in the mould block. After getting a few good boolits, I checked the weight and they're running around 127 - 128 grains using #2 alloy. Anyone else seen this in this mould?? Hopefully, this picture is clear enough with my cheap camera.

SAJTU

What should the weight be? (Not being familiar with that mold). To me, that doesn't seem to be too long. It can take a deeper cup but it also provides an extra lube groove. Load some up see how they shoot.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 01-22-2010 at 07:28 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy

Looks the same as mine. As 303 Guy said, "It can take a deeper cup but it also provides an extra lube groove. Load some up see how they shoot. Shoots great in my carbine. As much as my grandsons shoot, it's a cheap boolit. Don't forget the gas check.. Mac

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP YOUR GUNS..

[COLOR="#FF0000"]MANY YEARS AGO I GAVE AN OATH TO DEFEND OUR CONSTITUTION FROM
    A-L-L TRAITORS, BOTH FOREIGN & DOMESTIC NOW, AT 78, I'M READY AGAIN TO ANSWER THE CALL.
    COLOR]

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That mold as advertised is to be 115 gn. I really don't see any problem with what you have in the picture. Load em and shoot em. The proof of a good mold will be on the paper, not in the shank length.

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Boolit Grand Master
    Probably the lighting, but it looks bent.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

In Remebrance

Looks much like mine. I was concerned about bearing (steering) length till the old brain kicked in and I realized the GC would be there. That's an ollllld design made for the 32-20. Some examples have a much shorter GC shank, others look like yours and some are in between.

Boolit Master

The gas check shank on my mould is much shorter. With the gas check on there is only a tiny space before the next band. Just enough to hold a sliver of lube. My mould is a 4 banger that I bought used about 30 years ago. My boolits run about 125 grs cast from WWs.
    Chuck

Boolit Buddy
    If the bullet shank bothers too much, I bet the fellow that hollow points molds could mill the back end of the mold a bit to get what ever length you want.
    Rex

Boolit Grand Master
    He could.
    Plenty of room for lube as is.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    A long gas check shank is an optimum design. Veral Smith, in his excellent book, recommends them. As the bullet is moving down the barrel, the gas check scraps lead off the rifling and deposits it into the shank space forward of the gas check. This tends to keep the barrel cleaner for a longer time and promotes good accuracy.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Master
    The extra length gives you an extra lube groove when the gas check is seated. It's a pretty common feature on gas-check Ideal designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Probably the lighting, but it looks bent.

SHiloh

The gas check base also looks tapered

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

311359 lyman

that may be a special order mold as the 1980 cast bullet manual and the 1958 manual show short shanks as does the 2007 cat.just load and shoot.it was made for single shot rifles.
    WILDCATT

it is ok

Quote Originally Posted by SAJTU View Post
    Picked up a lightly used 311359 recently and finally found time to cast a few boolits. Immediately noticed the shank looked too long and it looks as if the cherry cut too deep in the mould block. After getting a few good boolits, I checked the weight and they're running around 127 - 128 grains using #2 alloy. Anyone else seen this in this mould?? Hopefully, this picture is clear enough with my cheap camera.

SAJTU

it is ok .
    the long shank is for a gas check. but it is longer than needed for just a gas check so the space above the g.c lube fells in so a extra lube grove.:

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the replies on the mould. I was just expecting it to look similar to the one in my old Lyman manual, a much shorter shank. Then when they cast a little heavier than expected, I thought the shank was long…. nothing wrong with a wider lube groove. The boolits cast good out of the mould, just look bad with my poor digital camera. Hopefully, I’ll get out to try a few this weekend.

Here is a picture of my 311359 ...

I have had it for awhile!!