Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumbling primed pistol brass

Boolit Master

Tumbling primed pistol brass

I have 1,000 primed pistol cartridge cases that I have resized & pulled the bullets on..will I do any damage to the primers if I used my vibratory tumbler to clean them before I load them?

Boolit Master
    Wally,

I suspect that the flash hole would get clogged with media.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Wally,

I suspect that the flash hole would get clogged with media.
    I'd use dry treated corncob media..this seldom obstructs the flash hole. I would check each case and use a blast of compressed air to blow out any stuck there--however I tend to doubt it ebing there would cause any problems. What I am concerned about is if cleaning the cases might damge the primers.

Boolit Master

I would be reluctant to do that.
    It is not the accidental discharge, it would be the degradation of the primer compound I would worry about.
    I might live with them a little less than polished.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    I would be reluctant to do that.
    It is not the accidental discharge, it would be the degradation of the primer compound I would worry about.
    I might live with them a little less than polished.
    Yes, I am worried about that as well--perhaps somebody has tried this and can tell us if it worked out ok...

Boolit Master

Try 50 first, load them and chronograph to see if you get different results than normal. Material in the flash hole will get blown out upon firing. No need to ruin 1000 good primers...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

I would load them first then tumble. I post load tumble ammunition all the time to get the lube off the cases.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't do it, the corncob media I use does clog the flashole.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I would load them first then tumble. I post load tumble ammunition all the time to get the lube off the cases.
    Yes, I never thought of that---do you use a tumbler type or a vibratory one?

Boolit Master

If you tumble them too long after loading, you will change powder granulation size and thereby change burning rate...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Banned

dont know guys. Ive done 10s of thousands of .223 and .308 like that and never had a single problem.

Boolit Master

come on now leave the dam cases a little tarnished till the next time. Walk around the reloading room and I am sure you will find 20 other things to do.
    I say this in jest---don't get upset.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

I would have two questions: why would you want to tumble brass that has already been primed and not reloaded? were the primers seated into filthy brass? If the brass is halfway decently clean I would reload the brass and then if you felt a need to tumble, then tumble after reloading. That would remove any doubt of damaging the primers. It's not so much of a safety issue as it is just being practical. I would not want any kind of media tumbling around all over the detonation side of the primers....too much chance of damage. Just my two little bitty cents worth.
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgknight View Post
    I would have two questions: why would you want to tumble brass that has already been primed and not reloaded? were the primers seated into filthy brass? If the brass is halfway decently clean I would reload the brass and then if you felt a need to tumble, then tumble after reloading. That would remove any doubt of damaging the primers. It's not so much of a safety issue as it is just being practical. I would not want any kind of media tumbling around all over the detonation side of the primers....too much chance of damage. Just my two little bitty cents worth.
    It has bullet lube in the inside case neck and if I charge with powder it sticks to that area.

Although probably not advisable, I have removed live primers from brass several different times to re-use. I just used a slow steady pressure and they popped right out - unharmed. Just a thought

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acoilfld View Post
    Although probably not advisable, I have removed live primers from brass several different times to re-use. I just used a slow steady pressure and they popped right out - unharmed. Just a thought
    As have I--never had a problem ...worked just fine

Set your de-caper pin lower in the die (so you are not resizing them again) and run them through your press. I had media in a flash hole once. The round did not fire - it just blew the primmer out of the back of the case. Made it hard to rotate the cylinder to eject the round (.45 Black hawk). Took a bit to figure out what happened, now I look at every single flash hole before priming.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acoilfld View Post
    Set your de-caper pin lower in the die (so you are not resizing them again) and run them through your press. I had media in a flash hole once. The round did not fire - it just blew the primmer out of the back of the case. Made it hard to rotate the cylinder to eject the round (.45 Black hawk). Took a bit to figure out what happened, now I look at every single flash hole before priming.

I have used a univerasl decapper...but I am not about to decap 1,000 cases with live primers--I'll just load and shoot them "as is"...

If you tumble them too long after loading, you will change powder granulation size and thereby change burning rate...Ray
    My grandfather “post load tumbled” rounds behind the back seat of his pickup for decades and they always shot just fine.

I personally had a box of 20 .223’s (well the box had long since been destroyed) in the tool box of a 4 wheeler forgotten about, or “under experiment”, for over 10 years of trail riding, after pulling a bullet and inspecting the powder there were no visual difference (or volume difference, if it had “broken” down there would have been) between it and powder from another bullet from the same lot that had been sitting for the same amount of time on a shelf at my house. To be fair the powder charge was compressed.

However, I have also done chronograph tests of pistol loads (from the same batch) tumbled for two days (48 hours) vs. not at all and they were consistent with one another. Your results may vary so just test them and let us know.

I use vibratory tumblers.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I used to think it was dangerous, until someone pointed out how many hours of tumbling ammo would go through traveling by rail from coast to coast. I use a vibratory tumbler.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast