Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 Bore rifle project

Boolit Mold
    I just found this thread and am working on the same type project with the same basic gun. How have you progressed?

All I see here is pain,,, and plenty of it.

A 2.25 oz. slug at 1000 fps from a 6lb gun? Do you have any idea how much recoil you are talking about?

This gun needs to weigh 12lbs + just to be able to shoot it twice in one day.

The British 12, and 8 bore double guns, some fully rifled and some with Paradox barrels where only the last two inches were rifled, weighed upwards of 16-18 lbs.

You needed cajones about that big to pull the trigger on one of those guns. The 8 bore guns shot boolits weighing 1250 gr.

I applaud your idea, however if I was you I'd let someone else fire that gun the first time.

On another note,,,, It might be a good idea to work your way up to those loads, slowly,,, and stop when you can't take it anymore.

My .02

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I built up one of those H&R super slug guns. I think I have a thread on it here somewhere. I called it the .73 caliber Talleywhacker. I had RCC make me some custom everlast 12 ga. cases 3.5" long. I had done a lead slug of the chamber and throat and found that a 3.5" hull was the way to go. I then had a custom mould made for a 1300 grain +/- .730 cal slug. I cast it 1/20 tin to lead. I use 150 grains of 2F compressed, a 11 gauge over powder card wad, two greased felt wads and I do a light roll crimp on the case mouth. Recoil is brutal but not impossible. However a 300 yard gun? No way in heck. This thing is a 50 yard gun with 100 being the max I'd try and hit with it.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master
    It seems to me that it would be better to stay below transonic velocities. Most bluff nosed projectiles experience incredible drag as they approach Mach 1 and it doesn't improve much until well into the supersonic region. Below transonic the drag remains remarkably stable throughout the flight regime. With such a heavy projectile high velocity would not be needed to assure deep penetration. The effectiveness of the old big bore guns depended on heavy high sectional density bullets not high velocities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12