Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Twenty-Two Thread

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a number of .22's in the past, Mossberg, Ruger, Stirling. But the one that stays with me is the old Lithgow 1B single shot. Just seems to hit what I point it at.
    Oh I do have a Unique DES 69 but thats a other kettle of fish.

Boolit Buddy

I shoot both rifle and pistol indoor .22 gallery matches at 50 feet, that maintains my shooting skills during winter. I always take a .22 to the range to fire after shooting my centerfires. The .22 is the best bang for your buck.

Boolit Master
    Three .22's reside here. My wife has a High Standard 4" 9-shot; I've got a Remington mag fed plastic Apache 77 (nylon stock) and a Burgo .22 2-shot derringer. We both actively shoot the .22 pistols and rifle. Wife likes .22 because it doesn't hurt her ears. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Mold
    ruger 10 22

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0575.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	41232

Boolit Mold
    S&W 41
    High Standard Trophy
    High Standard 101
    High Standard Trophy 107 Military
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger MkII
    Ruger 10/22
    Remington 550
    Remington 552
    Stevens CrackShot 26
    Winchester 1903
    Winchester 62
    Mossberg Mod 60
    Last edited by DieselPro; 02-23-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Boolit Master

High Standard Supermatic Trophy
    Ruger Single-six convertable
    T/C Contender 12in
    T/C Contender 8in
    T/C Contender 6in
    Remington 514
    Ruger 10/22
    Winchester 1890
    Mossberg 640KA
    Greener Martini
    That's all I can remember due to CRS.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Buddy
    My assortment includes:

Remington 512-T
    Henry Golden Boy
    Remington Nylon 66
    2 Hoban Model 45s
    Stevens Favorite

Ruger Mark I
    Ruger Bearcat
    Stevens Offhand #35

I also have a Western Field Model 31 and a Marlin Glenfield 60 that I rarely shoot.
    Last edited by nwellons; 03-28-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Added pistol & rifle

Boolit Master
    Why yes, i do shoot .22 Love my little Henry with or without the homemade folding bipod, always with the 3-9X40 Barska POJ scope on it, i can hear gophers scream as soon as i pull it out of the safe! First gun i ever shot was my mothers Browning BL-22, still think that is the greatest .22 ever made, the Henrys don't even come close!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    I have .22 versions of all center fire guns I own, except shotguns. My favorite .22lr:

Actually, I am not sure it's my favorite, I like my other .22s so much too.

S&W 22a-1 and a Winchester 190. Years ago my parents decided for whatever reason not to keep guns in the house so they placed all of their firearms in the care of family. The winchester was the first gun I ever shot and it left the house with the rest of them. 20 years later my father decided to give it to my brother but when he asked the family keeping it they insisted it was already returned. 5 years later it happened to suddenly reappear and they returned it but by then it was obvious my brother didnt care about guns so it went to me. Took it to the range and it couldnt feed more than two rounds without jamming. Took it apart (no small feat) and found most of the action rusted and what used to be the last inch or so of the recoil spring poured out as brown powder. Took me a year to restore but it shoots great now and i still have the first gun I ever fired.

Ruger Single six, Ruger 10-22, contender in 22 mag, Marlin bolt in 22 mag, 3 marlin auto 22's , old stevens singleshot, oregon arms chipmunk, old remington auto, an old "saturday night special". Looking at a new Ruger 22 pistol.. Will never sell the single six . had it since 68

Hmm, let's see. Started with an old Mossberg single shot (still got), a Stoeger Luger, 3 Colt Woodsmans, Woodsmen, Whatever (a 6" 2nd Issue, a 6" last run Match Target, and a 4" near last run), a Ruger BB Mark II, a Ruger Bearcat (original run), 2 or 3 Remington 121s, 2 versions of the Wilkinson Sherry, Ruger 10-22 with the sporter stock, and my latest fave, a MOE S&W 15-22, which as someone posted early on, is as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. One of these days I'll get back a Beretta and a 4" SS S&W.
    Nah, not much call for .22s around here.
    20 plus years ago, my old man sold my last horse and sent me the money. I took that and bought a Ruger 77-22 and locked it up in the safe, waiting to give it to a kid for a first gun. I started with the old, worn out Mossberg single, and it, my dog, and my horse were my constant childhood companions. I figured that 77-22 would be about the coolest first gun a kid could have. As it turned out, the wife and I never had kids of our own, none of my nieces or nephews are gunny, and I almost gave up and shot the thing myself. Then 2 years ago, I had the opportunity to teach my childhood best friend's son to shoot. He spent a week with me and his dad at my family's ranch for his 16th birthday and shot a considerable amount of mine and his dad's inventory. On the last night, I watched him sneak up to within 20 yards of a badger and drill it with one shot in the neck from my .357. Then his dad and I sat on the tailgate and drank beer and laughed at him while he tried to skin it.
    I mulled it over for a couple months, then we went on vacation and stopped to visit them at their place 500 miles away. I'd packed the Ruger in it's original box and stowed it in the 5th wheel before we left. We sat up late in the night talking guns and shooting and the boy was still pretty pumped up from the week we'd spent together. I manipulated the conversation so I could tell stories about the adventures, ranching and hunting with my old mare from my misspent youth. Then I told him about how the horse had lived to be over 30 years old and what I'd done with the money and how the gun had lanquished in the darkness of a gun safe for all those years, awaiting the one I deemed worthy. Then I handed him the keys to the trigger lock and told him where to find it in the trailer.
    Last year, his folks sold their place in town and moved to a 30 acre spot in a rural part of western Oregon. I talked to his dad on the phone a couple nights ago and he told me the boy was having incredible fun with that gun I gave him, shooting as much as he pleased and ridding the farm of pesky critters.
    I guess I did the right thing.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

I have a Henry Goldenboy, an old model Ruger Bearcat and a Ruger MK II Target with the 6 7/8" barrel.

Boolit Mold
    Browning Buckmark and Marlin 39A from 1950 are my 22's. Run through a lot of Federal and Winchester bulk packs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    anyone here shoot a 22?
    Love them.

Cheap to shoot, one can shoot hundreds on a range session, accurate.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Man
    The only bad 22 I ever had was a Mossberg which I eventually discovered had a banana bore. Both ends were centered, but it bowed in the middle. It shot all over the place. Most accurate rig is a 69A Winchester. They used the target reciever on those. The rifling had much wider lands then current models have these days. It is a tack driver. Picked up a BSA Martini target rig but have not gotten much range time in it yet so have no idea how accurate it may be.
    35 year NRA Life Member
    Cast Bullet Fan
    Single shot Rifle Fan
    Long term Rifle and Handloader subcriber

Boolit Mold
    I've got 22 kits for my G3 and M4, and a 22 kit for my FAL on the way. A 22 always goes to the range with me. Love them.

Boolit Master

yep, ar-7, JC Higgins model 42 dl, T/C Contender, Beretta Neos, Phonix Arms.
    Tim

Boolit Bub
    Yup ,
    Latest Ruger Mark III Hunter ......Love it.

Shot 3 Gophers out at Mom's tonight with it before the Fireworks started up

Just got to this thread:

My most cherished gun is my Mauser ES340B made in 1929 which I purchased in 1968 for $50. Worth much more now. It is the only gun I will never sell, until I croak...

I also have my original Remington 514 which I traded in on the Mauser, and then bought back at a local gun show ten years later. Got $15 for it in trade and paid $20 to get it back. It is my garage gun right now.

I have a Springfield M6 Scout my wife bought me for a birthday 10-15 years back and it fits perfectly in the lid of my Jeep accessory box. Pretty accurate little gun and the .410 barrel is fun too.

I got a Browning .22 Auto for my 60th Birthday, it was made in 1968, and is a good one. I think that gun is probably the ultimate plinker of all times. I wish I could shoot it more, alot more!

Then my newest .22 is a Marlin 39A which I am in the process of refinishing the wood on. It is a nice gun and I think it will do good on the .22 silhoutte range. It was made in 1991 and has the safety, but I will modify the hammer to include a half cock notch and defeat the rebounding hammer "boing."

The only .22 pistol I have is a NAA Mini Master, which I bought specifically as a trail gun for when we used to go hiking above Santa Barbara CA. You never knew what kind of varmints you'd run into, and it felt good to have a gun with me even though it was just a litle popper. Gonna send it in to get the .22 Magnum cylinder fitted to it. For $50 it is too good to pass up.

I had a High Standard Trophy once but traded it for a Ruger 10-22 which I ended up hating. Gettig rid of that gun was a big mistake that is amplified everytime I see one at a gun show for $800!

I have been looking at one more .22.

It is a Primary Weapons Systems T3 Summit. This is the outfit that makes the "Raptor Stocks" for the 10-22's.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/v....asp?idpage=17

The gun is a completely built 10-22 except for one thing. It is not a Semi Auto. It is a Strait Pull Biathalon style action.

So you get a full house 10-22 that uses all of the high end 10-22 parts, and same magzines, but since it doesn't require a certain power level to cycle the action it can also feed and fire CCI CB Longs virtually silently with no muffler.

They are available with a rainbow of different color stocks, but I like the black/gray or olive drab laminates best.

Not a cheap gun but on par with what you'd spend on a 10-22 with similar mods done.

I have has several other .22's during my life, but they have come and gone because they didn't do anything especially well. The ones I kept do!

Thus concludes my introduction into the Rimfire Section of the site.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-28-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast