Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Twenty-Two Thread

Moderator Emeritus

I just bought a Marlin model 57 "Levermatic" last week. I enjoy casting boolits and reloading, but there's a lot to be said for an afternoon of shooting rimfire. I think that's either 13, or 14 22LR's I have now.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

I just shot a buddy's model 512 remington bolt gun,tube mag.
    had the clip version as a kid,felt like time warp shooting that old timer.Shot great !
    Wish I still had mine.

Boolit Master
    i have my first a remington 514 i got my boy scout marksmanship merit badge with it.

now i also have a brno no.1 i won a class hunter with. a brno no.4 i shot in heavy class.

a colt fronter scout that was my first pistol.
    a ruger mk l target that i won a few indoor matchs with. and some more .22's

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    A 50s vintage Browning Medallist and a newish Baikal M35 (I think that is the model, it is an Olympic style Standard Pistol), Ciener Conversion for the 1911, Rifles; an old Sporto, a CBC and a Brno No2 all bolt guns, a SAKO Quad with 22 and 22Mag Bbls and a Rossi Gallery pump rifle that I bought my late wife in 1966 or there abouts.

Then there's the 22Hornet BRNO Fox, The Sportco SMLE 22 Hornet Conversion, the Remington 788 222Rem, the Savage 20Ga/222 combo, the Tikka T3 Delux in 223 (1 in 8" twist, awesome!!!!!), the 22/250 788 Remington and the absolutely smick Post 64 XTR Model 70 22/250 Winchester , which is a great walk about rifle and the 220 Swift M77 Ruger which is no slouch either! I think thats all!

I've got my eyes on a Bearcat and I saw an early S&W K frame 22LR cheap the other day, the road goes on forever and the party never ends!

I love the big punkin rollers and I dearly love the 30cals, but I just love the 22 cal! Gets most of the work done.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I have a Western auto 22 made by Marlin, had it for about 45 years.
    Haven't shot it for years.
    Also a Ruger 10/22, love that gun, very accurate, had it for about 15 or 18 years.
    Wife just bought her first gun, a Walther p22, says she likes the looks of it.
    Took her out shooting (First time for her in 20 yrs) I took my 10/22 and we had a ball.
    Think I created a monster.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    I have a Brno Mod. 2 and my 1411 Anshutz. No gun collection is complete without at least one .22LR. The only reason I don't have a couple of .22 pistols is the PITA gunlaws. With a centerfire pistol, I have to shoot 6 matches a year to keep the licence (I know it don't sound like much, but I am a shift worker and work most weekends and they have to be matches, not just plinking at the range), if I had a .22 pistol, I would have to do 4 centerfire and 4 rimfire matches in a year, and they cannot be done on the same day.

Next up I is a Stevens Favourite. Or maybe a little Rolling Block, would love a Low Wall, but they are out of my price range.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Son View Post
    I have a Brno Mod. 2 and my 1411 Anshutz. No gun collection is complete without at least one .22LR. The only reason I don't have a couple of .22 pistols is the PITA gunlaws. With a centerfire pistol, I have to shoot 6 matches a year to keep the licence (I know it don't sound like much, but I am a shift worker and work most weekends and they have to be matches, not just plinking at the range), if I had a .22 pistol, I would have to do 4 centerfire and 4 rimfire matches in a year, and they cannot be done on the same day.

Next up I is a Stevens Favourite. Or maybe a little Rolling Block, would love a Low Wall, but they are out of my price range.
    We can do two shoots on the one day, but they have to be different shoots. I think you will find your law states the same because that is what you will do if you shoot at a tournament or big match. A lot of guys here get a dealer's license so that thet can buy what they like.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    I have a bunch of .22's and mostly shoot them when the kids come.
    I really like my old Mossbergs. Remember when I was a kid and looked down my nose at those things. My Dad was a Winchester guy. Now have a variety of .22's and am always a sucker for old single shots that are cheap.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Remington 513T........most accurate thing I've ever seen at 75 yds.

Remington 514 single shot......a replacement for my original "first gun" from years ago.

Rossi .22 pump gallery gun (take apart) "American Express" model..........don't leave home without it.

S&W K22, still in the blue box with instructions and screwdriver.........mint, and shoots like a Smith should.

On a side note, did you know that .22 ammo was once sold as reloadable? It's true! Way back in the dim, dark past you could buy the primed cases and bullets separately. The idea didn't go over too well though, maybe because you needed ittie bitty dies?

I've recently landed two Winchester 1906's and a 62A. One of the 1906's is very rough (some pitting, previous owner stripped the bluing), the other 1906 and the 62A are in good shape and a joy to shoot. Some previous owner replaced the buttplate on the 62A with one from a 1906... that needs to be corrected.

My Uncle has my late grandfather's 1906 which was purchased sometime around 1916.

I can't wait for small game season!

I am down to just the one 22RF now, and that is not likely to change anytime soon. Have had a few over the years but my Kimber is all the RF I could ask for. Was out after rabbits last week and with 22 subs and a 2-7 was able to bring home quite a few for the pot. Testing yesterday for a higher velocity round to make the kills a bit more emphatic than the subs can, when they are reaching out a bit and the Rem cyclones shot into 5/8 at 75yds for 5 shots so will give them a try next time out.

Von Gruff.

stephen perry

22 RF and Cast

45 Nut
    I guess I owe you a Post since you called me when I started on Cast boolits to find out why I got run off the other Cast Forum. Some real jealous folks over there especially the BR crowd. I enjoyed myself over there, maybe too much. Met some good Cast folks there though. Cast folks are mostly good anywhere except the high and mighty, mighty in their own mind. Should have started here.

The rimfire thing for me is about the same as the others. My pride and joy RF is my Winchester 69 Match. My first gun is my Sears semi-auto 1963, I have recently tru-oiled the stock looks as good as new. I have a Remington 121 pump with Weaver 4x scope. I also have a Remington 341 I shoot open sights really accurate. I have a Sears single shot looks like a Winchester. Last I have a Marlin 783 bolt in 22 mag with a Lyman 6x scope. I also have 2 rf pistols one a Colt Targetsman and the other a Ruger 10 " bull barrel with a Tasco 1.5-4x scope.

Now for what you really want to hear. In Cast 22's I have a Remington 722 in .222 that I have Cast for since 1963. I cast 225438, 225415 and 225462, both they shoot well with Unique. I have a Remington 788 in 223 that I want to start loading with Cast. I also have a 22-250, doubt if I will load cast for it. I have several BR barrels one in .222 the others in 22 PPC I could load Cast for, but hey there are only hours in a day. If I really want to get crazy I could shoot 22 Cast with my Rail Gun with 1.35 barrels, nay then I would have to clean the lead out of the barrel.
    Done.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR
    Last edited by stephen perry; 05-16-2010 at 09:43 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    anyone here shoot a 22?
    Sure; I love casting and shooting .22 because it conserves lead & powder. I only have one .22 mould so far; it is a 55 grain #225415 and I shoot it, usually cast of WW and air cooled, in a 1:9 carbine-length AR-15 5.56, a Mauser VZ-24 with 1:14 A&B .22-250 barrel, and a 1:16 H&R .22 Hornet.

Boolit Master

Savage Model 10 (for my middle son and wife)
    Stevens Model 15A (cut down to Federal minimum length + 1/2" for teaching youngsters how to properly hold a rifle)
    S&W M22A pistol - Bullseye Match pistol
    .223 Rem 20" AR15 with a carbine buttstock
    .223 Rem 20" AR15 with a standard A2 buttstock
    22-250 on a Yugo Mauser Action.

If could cast and reload for the rimfires I would.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Corrigan View Post
    But even this ammo for these is kinda getting pricy compared to when I was a kid and a box of 50 rounds in .22 LR cost about .75 cents and today?

We are talking about some ammo running at 5 cents a round or more. I can make .45's cheaper than that.
    Yeah, I know, but . . . I'm thinking of using the 22 again, to help me get my marksmanship to where I want it, once I get my stance, hold, and flinch right, then I will go back to my bigger guns.

You see 35 years ago I was given a gun an told something like this " you just aim down the barrel, and when that little post up front is even with the notch in the back, pull this trigger"

There is alot more to shooting than that. So I have a few "habits" . . .

My wife and I are going to an Appleseed this fall, and I truly want to know how to shoot properly and profiecently, I think the 22 is the right tool for that, besides they are fun.

Yes I have a few of them.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Buddy
    It's been several months since this started, but here's my list:

The one I shoot the most is a Ruger 77-22 with an integral Ceiner suppressor. I keep it handy and shoot it from the back door into a pair of Newbold swinging targets about 60 yards away by the woods. It's quiet enough I can do that without anybody caring, even if they are in the house.

Another .22 rifle I shoot quite a bit is a Winchester 52 Sporter. Mine was made in 1941. The only way I could afford a 52 Sporter was to buy this one, because it had been drilled and tapped for the scope (B&L Balvar) and had a thin recoil pad added. It would make collectoirs cry, but it got me a nice shooting rifle that cost a lot less than a used Kimber 82.

Some other favorites:
    Browning 22 autos (takedown). I love these. One of mine is stock and the other has a red dot.
    A Browning BL22 was my first gun. I still have it but seldom shoot it.
    I've had a few Ruger .22 auto pistols, but I prefer...
    High Standard .22 auto pistols. I have a few and wish I had a lot more.
    A Ruger Bearcat is pretty neat.
    I have a S&W 41 (long barrel) I used when I shot the Standing class in .22 silhouette (before I got the High Standards).
    I have an Anschutz 54 match rifle (the big monster that was top of the line in 1969) but can shoot better with my...
    Winchester 75 Target. It's just easier to handle than the big Anschutz.
    I have a Walther PPK-L in .22 that's like new in the box. I'm not a big PPK fan, but think that one is neat.
    I bought a CMMG .22 conversion for AR15s last year and was surprised to find it actually worked.

Boolit Master
    When I am out of .44 ammo, I just bring two .22's.

Ruger Super Single Six - first hand gun ever, when I was 21 yrs old in 1974 - still in great shape after 'millions' of rounds.

Walther P22 - a fun gun to plink with

Ruger Mark III Hunter - fun to shoot, not fun to field strip and reassemble.

Can't beat the price of .22 ammo, and .22's are good teachers.
    Last edited by ghh3rd; 06-10-2010 at 12:11 AM.

I have a Winchester 52B repro which is my favorite, a Ruger 10-22 with a wilson match narrel and B&C thumbhole stock, a winchester 250 lever that was my first .22, a remington 572 pump (buckskin colored one) and a Colt new frontier in .22 lr w/mag cylinder. I can't tell you how rewarding it is to punch the ticket on a fat woodchuck with that 52 at 100 yds using modified match ammo...if it had been an eight point woodchuck I wouldn't have been happier!!
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Boolit Master

I bought a boolit mold for 22s and made a shell holder, but I can't find a set of reloading dies and anybody to teach me how to reload them!

I ran into a guy at bass pro a little while back that was telling me of his amazing shots at 250-300 yards with a 22 rimfire long rifle. Not to doubt him I inquired as to how and what ammo he used to do such a feat. He informed me that he bought the cheap remington box ammo and reloaded them. I laughed and told him they were rimfire and you couldn't reload them the guy behind the counter also laughed and told him he really stuck his foot in his mouth. The fella immediately walked away in shame of his fibbing.LOL
    Remember the average response time of a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The average response time of a .357 is around 1300 F.P.S.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast