MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Twenty-Two Thread

Boolit Bub
    I've had a few over the years, need to get some more so the whole family can shoot. wife has a Cimarron SA 22 mag, son has a Henry mini-bolt and I've got a freebie Remington 572 fieldmaster from my neighbor that needs some work. My next one will be a Marlin 39A.

Anybody shoot a 22?

Yep! Ruger Mark II, Browning Buckmark, and too many 22 rifles to bother counting, from lever, auto, and bolt, including .22 mag.
    regards,
    NavahoJoe

Boolit Master
    I'm appauled by the prices of 22's right now, both rifles and ammunition. I would very much like to have one of the new T-Bolts from Browning, but the insane price of 550 plus is ridiculous. In fact I recently sold back two beautiful 94/22's to my father who had sold them to me a few years ago as he needed the money they were frightenly accurate and I bought them for 350 a piece, sold them back for the same, even though they are worth much more now. Anyway I've been searching for a couple to replace (one lr, one mag) and just gave up and bought a new North Carolina built model 70 for 695, I can reload 30-06 for what I can buy 22 lr for.
    I do think before they stop making them I'll pick up a couple CZ 452 Lux models, scope one and leave the other for iron sight use, both in lr's 22 mags are too hit and miss and the price of ammunition is ridiculous.
    I've checked out the new Ruger 10/22's and unless you can find new old stock they IMO are not worthy of being in my house.

Boolit Master

Heavy lead - I've been buying the 550 round boxes of Federal .22s at Wal-Mart for $15.47. They don't have them every visit but pretty frequently the last couple months.
    Chuck

Boolit Master
    I'll have to check that out, that's a good price. I'm hoarding my good Winchester power points, I'm down to 1,000, luckily I've been able to find primers so I'm shooting centerfires, but I do like the 22's.

Boolit Master
    Well I have a bunch of them and they seam to multiply all by themselves over the years. My most used ones are:

Ruger MkIII 22/45
    Beretta Neos
    CZ 453 Varmint
    Savage Favorite
    Ruger 1022 carbine

There are others but I rarely shoot those.

Boolit Master
    22's sure do:

Ruger 10-22 Stainless Laminated Manlicher

Ruger Mark II 6 7/8 Target (Blue)

Winchester Boy Scout Commemorative LA

Jonathan Ciener 22 Conversion on Browning HP

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

Rifles
    BSA Martini International Mk III
    BSA Martini International Mk V
    Sears Single shot bolt auto safety - My brother and I learned to shoot with it
    Marlin Mdl 60
    Daisy 22 Bolt
    Browning T-Bolt .22 Mag

Revolvers
    Ruger Convertible Single Six
    H&R 999 Sportsman

I think that's all of them. I dream of a Marlin 39A
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

In Remembrance

Yep! Lot's of 'em.
    Ruger MkI
    Heritage Convertible SS
    Marlin Mod.60
    Ruger 1022
    Remington single shot
    Daisy single shot.
    Last edited by DLCTEX; 02-02-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    Lots of .22's expended here!

Revolvers and long guns!

Three 44s

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OutHuntn84 View Post
    Nope daddy brought me up on 45-70s. Always said anything smaller was for girls! lol J/K
    Well, I guess you'll need this then.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range 257 Shooter's Avatar
    I taught my girlfiend how to shoot with my Ruger Single Six and 77/22. She likes them so much she is buying me new ones because she says that those are hers now.
    In God WE Trust!
    NRA Life Member
    "I'll keep my guns, my money and my freedom, you can keep the change!"

Hi Standard Citation, Trophy, Olympic, and a Victor
    S&W K-22, 22-A1, 46
    I.J. model 1904
    H&R Trapper Model
    Mossberg Brownie, 146b, 42b, 144, (2) 144LSB
    Marlin Mld 60
    Winchester M52C
    Stevens Little Scout - wall hanger

Wow. After listing them all I think I have more 22's than other guns.

Looking for a Remington 540 XR and a Model 37. Also a Stevens 26 for a wall hanger.
    Last edited by jcw1970; 01-29-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, I have a couple:

-Marlin 880SQ with a straight 4x Simmons I use for squirrels/groundhogs
    -Winchester 67A- Used to belong to my grandpa, who used it coon hunting before I was born
    -Ruger MKII Government Target Model pistol

Wife has:

-TC Silver Hawk? I think that is that name of it
    -Stainless 5 1/2 inch Ruger Single Six
    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Well sure we do. My first was a Remington 514. What a great shooting rifle. I must have shot a thousand rats, Red wings, Robins, gophers....
    Today I have a Browning leveraction (nicest .22 I ever had).
    Down here in Peru I have a Walther P22 Long barrel. It will not shoot the cheap Win Wildcats BUT sure will shoot the Remington HP´s into tiny little cloverleafs if I am sitting.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a few,
    Mossburg model 2400
    Henry lever action
    A old Harrington & Richardson single shot
    A very old Hamelton 22 short
    Colt Frontier Scout 62
    Ruger Mark III 22/45
    Heritage 22/22 mag.
    NAA 22/22 mag.
    Jennings J-22
    That's all I can think of.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    OK now lets see how many CAST 22s and what cartridge

221 Fireball
    22-250
    22 Hornet
    218 Bee
    22 Hi Power

Boolit Master
    I have a nice Savage bolt action I picked up on sale just before they switched to the newer acu trigger. I don't much care for that new fangled trigger, which reminds me of the trigger of my IJ Safety Hammerless. The older model works just fine, I stoned and adjusted it to just short of being a hair trigger.
    The hollow synthetic stock felt to light in the butt, so I packed it with a tin of spare ammo and a spare clip, plus a good folding knife , pull through, and cleaning supplies. This greatly improved the balance.
    I also reshaped the rear sight to suit my tastes, a U notch with fine slot at the bottom.
    I have a good 3X9 variable scope, salvaged from a beat up Marlin .22 99/M1 carbine I picked up dirt cheap. It was too large for the carbine so I use a Tasco 4X for that rifle.

I'd intended to restore the Marlin, but it was missing the rear sight and these seem to cost more than it would be worth to replace, plus thats not much of a sight anyway.
    I have reshaped the stock to more closely resemble a real M1 stock, and plan to fabricate a peep sight for it later on along with a winged front sight. The wood turned out to have outstanding figure under the degraded remains of the factory finish.

Both rifles are extremely accurate, and the Marlin has not had a single misfeed so far and I've used about a dozen different types of .22 ammo in it.

Over the years I've had many .22 rf handguns, but I lose interest in those pretty easily after awhile and trade them off or give them away. Centerfire .32 is as small as I care to go with handguns, other than my .22 CO2 powered S&W 78g which is as accurate as all but the best target .22rf pistols and I can shoot it in the backyard.
    The high quality CO2 handguns of today pretty much fill the niche that .22rf handguns once filled. Besides the S&W 78g I have a Walther .177 PPKS thats a great deal of fun to shoot, and actually kicks more than a comparable .22 rf.

The last .22rf auto pistol I had was an HP22. It had far too many safety features and could be confusing to operate in a hurry.
    I had thought about giving it to my sister, but a pistol that un necessarily complicated would not be much good for self defense carry, especially for someone who doesn't shoot alot.
    It was very accurate and never had a misfire or jam.

Boolit Master

I'd bet that 99% of the folks here fired their first round with a .22 rimfire - and I'll bet a bunch of you still have that gun in the family . And everybody needs a .22 squirrel gun. My first one is still here, a Marlin made Sears J.C. Higgins with a gen-u-ine Ted Williams 4X scope ! Got about 20 US property marked .22's and over 20 other various and sundry rimfires in regular and 22 mag. So yeah, I shoot .22s.
    I use 10 of the Mossberg 44's for club Family Mossberg matches and other club members have enough of the same that we always have 16(1 for each point) when needed.
    But with the price of .22, I shoot more cast .38's at the backyard plate rack than I do rimfire these days.
    The bulk packs at WalMart don't last long in stock. Bricks of .22(10 - 50 round boxes in what I call a brick) have gone to over $20 for the cheap stuff IF you find it. Buy 'em by the 5000 whenever there's a deal...don't think we'll ever see $10 bricks again.
    I remember when we'd meet at the dump and go through 500 rounds of .22 in no time, killing cans, bottles, rats and other targets of opportunity - and nobody called the law !
    If I had to cut back to 2 guns, one would definitely be a .22 rimfire.

Boolit Master

Ruger 22-45 and an old Remmy single shot with 4X scope and fire lapped barrel that lay 'em right in there for the squirrels and rodents. I bought several thousand rounds before the prices went nuts and shoot quite a bit.

Why the major shootdown on a .22rf thread I wonder?
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast