Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Lead free 22s

Boolit Master

Lead free 22s

Brownells is selling Winchester's new "Lead free" 22 ammo. $7.50 for 50 rounds. OUCH!!!

a 26 grn bullet that they say is a hunting bullet. Calif. special? 15 cents a shot for 22s? Not for me...................
    I shoot 22s for the low cost. Is this another way to price us out of shooting? More liberal BS?

I'm very confused.................
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Master
    California Condors can't handle lead in their gullets. F &G commision says we have to hunt with lead free bullets. Barnes bullets cost over a $1.00 each when I bought a box. Price may have come down some. Very little in California is designed to promote hunting. Condors should be allowed to go extinct but too many people have jobs keeping them around.

Boolit Master

All hunting with lead free? Just in the condor range, or statewide? What the heck can you shoot out of a .30-06 that's lead free -- pewter? Bismuth? Based on the bullet weight, the lead free .22 could be either zinc or nearly pure tin; price tag says tin.

I wonder what they'll do when there are more deer in California than people, they're starving (the deer, that is), and eating all the cash crops?

Boolit Grand Master

They'll celebrate. The "save the condor" crowd doesn't care one bit about cash crops.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Condors should be allowed to go extinct but too many people have jobs keeping them around.
    BINGO! I once heard a Sierra Club president waxing poetic over his starring role in the "Advocacy Industry". Like any industry, they have sales and marketing, and their entire purpose in life is to make a profit for the management.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Some of the lead-free .22lr I saw in a catalog was tin. I thought about getting some to see how they shot and using a trap where I could recover that tin and re-use it.

For .30-06 the lead free options would be Barnes solid copper type. They cost a fortune, but I hear they work great. I'd rather save the super expensive projectiles for game where I'd really need it and use lead where that works fine.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    For .30-06 the lead free options would be Barnes solid copper type. They cost a fortune, but I hear they work great. I'd rather save the super expensive projectiles for game where I'd really need it and use lead where that works fine.
    Is there any game in North America that really needs a solid copper slug from a .30-06? I'd think a Nosler partition at 200-220 grains would handle the few animals (grizzly, Kodiak, brown, and polar bear, bison, and moose) that are beyond a regular 180-200 grain soft point or cast boolit.

Sounds like we might have to start reading up on alloying bismuth. It seems to work for shot, and it melts at a reasonable temperature...

Boolit Master
    I believe the "cash crop" is something that these greenies smoke a lot of. If that starts to disappear, then they will all of a sudden think lead is the greatest stuff on the planet. (Next to the "cash crop" that is) I will never stop shooting lead! They can all go to heal for all I care. Rod

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
    I believe the "cash crop" is something that these greenies smoke a lot of. Rod
    That green stuff they smoke IS California's largest "cash crop".

Jon
    Col 2:13-17