RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 Revolver?

Boolit Master

22 Revolver?

Thinkin I would like to get a 22lr/22mag single action, for plinkin and rabbit hunting. Something with a 6.5" barrel or longer.....about $200 worth of revolver.

That Heritage Rough Rider seems to fit the bill but I would like and adjustable sight, which they do have but cost a bit more.

Anyone have one of those little revolvers?
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

My dad had one of the old ones, and he said it was junk. He had it before I has ever born. He said after he faced down a big foot with it, he got rid of it.

I have a Ruger Single Six 6.5" that my dad got off of auction arms for about $200 with only the 22 mag cylinder. It was in a flood, and has some pitting, and it shoots better them my dads single six. My dad had a 22 LR cylinder lying around, and we fit it to my gun, and it works good.

Boolit Master
    My father said"Buy the best you can afford and cry only once" I had an Arminus 22RF/mag. I bought it instead of the Ruger Single Six. I sold it 30 yrs latter for what I payed for it($134.00) Bought a Ruger Single Six S.S with 22 mag cylinder .Never looked back

Boolit Master

You might find a Single-Six in that price range, if you are patient, but $300-$350 is more likely.
    There hasn't been much available for decent quality, inexpensive .22 revolvers since H&R got out of the business. Even the old H&Rs fetch a hefty price now.
    I've been shooting this one for twenty or so years and it was about fifteen years old when I got it.

I paid a hundred bucks for it back then and had to send it to Ruger for a .22LR cylinder. I just retired it in favor of a Single-Six Hunter:

I like the Hunter because I can drop a scope in it for precice shooting or take it off for plinking.
    I was trying a bunch of different types of ammo for best accuracy recently and found that it seems to really like the Federal Champions.

It was quite a bit more than $200, BTW.

Jack

Boolit Master

I agree with the Ruger Single-Six...

I never owned a 22 except in rifles. I wasn't sure about a handgun, but I did purchase the Ruger...

It is amazingly accurate as the groups that were posted show. I have many as good. Might take a picture and post it also...

From a sandbag rest, I can hit 12 ounce beer cans at 100 feet most of the time...

Try to find one of them, and I don't think you will be dissatisfied...

Good-luck...BCB

Banned

like was said shop around the gun shops and the aution and classifieds and id about bet you will find a single six in that price range. No doubt a better choise.

Boolit Master

A couple of pics as promised...

Both groups were fired from my Single-Six using Federal Champion ammo...

The Black target is 50 shots at 15 yards (45 feet)...

The UL sticker target is 25 shots at 15 yards (45 feet)...

Both were fired one cylinder full after another. No resting or cleaning the barrel...

I am pleased with this single action 22 rimfire...

Unfortunately the 22 Magnum cylinder is not as accurate...

Good-luck...BCB
    Last edited by BCB; 12-02-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Doug,
    As to your question, Yes I have a Heritage 22-22mag with a 6 1/4"
    barrel. It shoots pretty well, but the action is not as smooth as my
    Colt Frontier 62 that I've had for forty some years. That being said,
    It's not bad for what I paid for it. If you can find a used Ruger, single six
    for what you want to spend, You will probably like it better. Taurus makes
    a single action to, and if they shoot like my double action, they may be worth looking at.
    Good Luck with whatever you get.

Boolit Master

Nice groups BCB Not all Single Sixes shoot that well.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Moderator Emeritus

The heritage I shot had alignment issues and spit lead. The owner said "yea it does that" but didn't understand why it didn't group. I'd keep looking or go with an auto.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Have a Ruger Target 5.5" its a good little semi auto handgun and quite accurate, dont have a revolver in 22lr yet though.

Besides Single Six's what else is a good revolver?
    I guess it doesnt need to be single action or 22 magnum either.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Taurus makes nice guns......

In Remembrance

My cousin bought his son a Rough Rider .22 and he asked me to look at it because it was lucky to fire two rounds out of six. I took it out and tried to fire it and sure enough only two of six fired. I removed the cylinder with the rounds still in it and the four that didn't fire had very little if any firing pin marks so I dumped the brass out and the four that didn't fire sat in egg shaped holes. You could actually wiggle the rounds in and out from the center to the edge of the cylinder, the bullet exit end was perfectly round. I don't know what he ever did with that because he didn't have the .22 mag. cylinder and it was used so the dealer wouldn't take it back, were really smart allecks about it. I bought my son one and have no problems at all with it and it is reasonably accurate, he hits 2" bulls at 30 feet pretty consistantly.

In Remebrance

The heritage guns have a fair reputation locally. Rugged, accurate enough, they seem to work.

Boolit Master

You might consider the Smith Kit gun, a small frame .22 with adjustable sights. Handy for dropping in a pocket for hiking, or whatever.

Or. Consider an old autoloader. It's fair to say that an autoloader will be more accurate than a wheel gun, at least in .22 caliber. My choice for a .22 hiking gun would be a Ruger, any model.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

you may be pushed to find something in your price range,,,,even 22 handguns are getting expensive
    I have a Colt New Frontier 22 with 22Mag interchangeable cylinder...it also has adjustable sights,,,,a very solid handgun and very accurate....I bought mine for $100 many years ago....I recommend it highly
    atr

Buy used quality, not new junk!

This OM with mag cyl only cost me $200 about 5 yrs ago at GB. I swapped the mag cyl for a .22 LR and had one hole recut to WMR.

BTW, that old Ruger garnered this for me the first time I shot it in rimfire "Field Pistol" silhouette. Had to shoot off against a 10" Contender too! I kinda like that old "fivegun"!

Besides Single Six's what else is a good revolver?
    I guess it doesnt need to be single action or 22 magnum either.
    The Smiths .22's that I have shot have all been excellent, but even used ones are way out of the $200 price range.

For a new gun very close to your price range, I would look at the Earl. Comes with .22lr and .22 mag cylinders. I don't know what it is about the gun, but it really appeals to me. And fun factor is HUGE with .22's.

http://www.northamericanarms.com/EARL.html

Boolit Grand Master
    I doubt that you are going to find a Colt, Ruger, or S&W in your price range; but you might be able to find an old H&R of Iver Johnson. They were not the niceest, but some of them shot pretty good.

Robert