RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Modification #2 LEE 1oz Slug Mould

Modification #2 LEE 1oz Slug Mould

In my other post on this subject, I received so many great suggestions that I did a second mod. I further trimmed the center section down to a length of .280" (I was shooting for .250" but decided to be very careful and .280 is what I ended up with after polishing out the machine marks). The diameter was reduced from the .500 original dimention to .435". (see pic) Using a hard alloy, probably around WWs or a little softer, the cast slugs weigh in at 495 grains. They would go over 500 with a pure lead alloy. (see pic)
    I loaded some up and the chronographed velocity was right at 1300 fps. With the first modification, I was using 32.0 gr Unique, Win 209, ACTIV 2 3/4" hull and a Claybuster wad sprayed with Frankfort Arsenal mould release to prevent the wad sticking to the slug, and a plastic over slug disc from Ballistic Products to help make a nice crisp fold crimp.
    With the 495gr slug, I dropped the charge to 29.0gr with all other components remaining the same.
    Next, I fired three shots at 25 yds, resting my Rem 870 with a 20" rifled barrel with a Weaver K 1.5 Micro Trac, over the top of my car. Again, I achieved phenomenal results. Three shots 5/8" center to center. (see pic). This is much better than I ever thought possible. In fact, this is the tighest group this shotgun has ever shot including groups shot with some very expensive sabot slugs. Muzzle energy is 1800-1900 foot pounds....coupled with the huge frontal area of the slug... will make a very deadly combination.
    Can't wait to get to the range.
    This mod could be done very carefully using a 1/2" drill in a vise, some files and fine sand paper. Just as long as the center section could be held steady.
    Will post more as weather and time permit.
    Bearmn56
    Montana Territory
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pict0014.JPG   Pict0015.JPG   Pict0013.JPG  
    Last edited by bearmn56; 01-16-2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: more info

Banned
    Hello Bearmn good to see you put all that effort in improving the Lee Slug. Since your slug is now 500 grains now you should change your powder and go for powder like Longshot, Alliant Steel, 4756 or Blue Dot.
    Wish you all the best.
    Ajay Madan
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

Ajay,
    Where I hunt is on a Wildlife Management Area around Canyon Ferry Lake, about 35 miles east of Helena, MT. It is often very cold there...on more than one occasion, below zero. Most commercial slugs that I have shot in very cold conditions have noticeabley less recoil and often a huge muzzle flash. I suspect that the commercial slugs are loaded with slow powders to give maximum possible velocity at 45 degrees and above. In an old slug manual from Ballistic Products (which got lost, of course), they listed loads specifically for very low temps. One load that I remember was with about 20.0 or 22.0 gr of red dot with one of their 550gr sabot slugs. If I recall velocity was about 1200fps....but supposed to be at or near that even with extreme cold soaked handloads. I took several white tailed deer with these slugs. They were quite accurate...about 6", 5 shot groups @100yds. However, they are all now used up and also no longer available from BP. Sabot slugs can run as much as $3.00 each. I am an avid handloader, so I ordered the LEE 1oz mould for less than 10 commercial sabot slugs. Looking at all of the posts on casting for shotguns, I decided to modify the mould. The 500gr slug was the result...and it is very accurate. The cold weather aspect is more important to me than getting the maximum velocity.
    Besides, I love to experiment...and casting gives me many options......
    Bearmn56
    Montana Territory

Here are two recovered wads using the #2 Mould modification. The impression of the skirt of the slug is perfectly round...without any distortion showing. Perfect impression of the drive key and it looks like the wad/sabot is discarding correctly.
    Bearmn56
    Montana Territory
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pict0016.JPG