Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Lyman 450 problem

Boolit Master

Lyman 450 problem

I have a Lyman 450 Lube/sizer that I've had for 28 years- Must have lubed/sized over 250,000 bullets with it The Pressure screw hex head is rounded and looks as if I must replace it--was wondering how it is removed and replaced--is there any trick to replacing it? Thanks....

Boolit Master
    Unbolt the lubrisizer from the bench, loosen the center bolt until you can unscrew the pressure nut and remove from the top. The center bolt and the lower plug can then be removed from the bottom. May have to tap it a little. Best to order all accompanying o-rings while you are at it. Order info link below. An assembly is available, pressure screw subassembly. $16.00

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page151.html

Boolit Grand Master
    Here are some instructions. Mine is mounted on a board with other equipment and clamped down otherwise I'd look for you. It would be a P.I.T.A to take it all apart.

Give Lyman a call

Consumer & Dealer Sales and Service
    800-225-9626

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...BC_LS_4500.pdf

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...lube-sizer.php
    See instructions link at the bottom of the page,

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    Unbolt the lubrisizer from the bench, loosen the center bolt until you can unscrew the pressure nut and remove from the top. The center bolt and the lower plug can then be removed from the bottom. May have to tap it a little. Best to order all accompanying o-rings while you are at it. Order info link below. An assembly is available, pressure screw subassembly. $16.00

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page151.html
    Thank you---I will get subassembly as advised...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Here are some instructions. Mine is mounted on a board with other equipment and clamped down otherwise I'd look for you. It would be a P.I.T.A to take it all apart.

Give Lyman a call

Consumer & Dealer Sales and Service
    800-225-9626

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...BC_LS_4500.pdf

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...lube-sizer.php
    See instructions link at the bottom of the page,

Shiloh
    Thank you---I have another project to work on!

Boolit Master
    Gee only 28 years old should last better than that.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Guedry View Post
    Gee only 28 years old should last better than that.
    The handle broke on mine. The linkage was worn out ass well. They don't have the old style handle any more, but do have a retro-fit kit for using the new style handle. Think it was about $20 from Lyman.

Works like a top!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Wally, below the hex section should still be about 3/4" of round shaft. Just grind a bit lower under the existing hex section to extend it...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RayinNH View Post
    Wally, below the hex section should still be about 3/4" of round shaft. Just grind a bit lower under the existing hex section to extend it...Ray
    I have been using a deep socket for years with it--it is rounded all the way down!

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

For those that have a Harbor Freight near and would like a ratchet they have a small 1/4 in. ratchet that fits the hex at the top of the shaft. It comes with a few bits that one can use or toss. I paid $3.99 for my ratchet.

In Remembrance

One use for metric sockets

I helped a friend of mine, yes I do have a friend, fix his 450 that had rounded corners. We trued the rounding out with some files and then kept trying to get metric sockets to fit till we found 1 that did and was gently tapped on, been working for several years now.Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I helped a friend of mine, yes I do have a friend, fix his 450 that had rounded corners. We trued the rounding out with some files and then kept trying to get metric sockets to fit till we found 1 that did and was gently tapped on, been working for several years now.Robert
    I was thinking of doing just that--I have ordered a replacement pressure screw (The cost, $4.00)...I have to remove the old one and to use up the lube in it anyway, but I will be replacing it---it did last 28 years!

Boolit Master
    I replaced the pressure screw and all is well again--it was quite easy to remove the old one and to replace it. This time I am using a 1/4" socket that will not round off the top hex head of the screw. As I purchased the machine about 28 years ago, I cannot complain about this--I have used it to size/lube over 250,000 bullets--maybe a bit more.