RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Strange lumpy fouling

Boolit Buddy

Strange lumpy fouling

Saw something this weekend that I have never ever seen before. Was shooting my regular #2 cast 358477 bullet loaded +P in .38 specials in my Marlin micro-groove rifle. After cleaning I spotted three very distinct black lumps towards the breech, about 3/4" ahead of the chamber. Tight cotton patches normally clean out all the leading, but this would could not even be removed with a brass brush.

I finally disassembled the rifle, and bent a paperclip to reach into the barrel. While looking down the barrel, after scrapping at the lumps for a while, they broke off one by one and fell out the muzzle of the barrel. It appeared to be lead, but I have never seen it lump like that before in my guns.

Anybody have any experience with this?
    Michael

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kawalekm View Post
    Saw something this weekend that I have never ever seen before. Was shooting my regular #2 cast 358477 bullet loaded +P in .38 specials in my Marlin micro-groove rifle. After cleaning I spotted three very distinct black lumps towards the breech, about 3/4" ahead of the chamber. Tight cotton patches normally clean out all the leading, but this would could not even be removed with a brass brush.

I finally disassembled the rifle, and bent a paperclip to reach into the barrel. While looking down the barrel, after scrapping at the lumps for a while, they broke off one by one and fell out the muzzle of the barrel. It appeared to be lead, but I have never seen it lump like that before in my guns.

Anybody have any experience with this?
    Michael
    Sounds like you are skidding the rifling with boolits too soft and a powder too fast. Try water dropping the boolits if the alloy is no. 2. Let them age and harden. Try a slower powder.

I would also try a harder alloy. I've found similar fouling in a fast twist 260 rem improved at top or near top end (for cast anyway) speeds. A switch to a harder alloy solved this problem.

Boolit Master

Was shooting my regular #2 cast 358477 bullet loaded +P in .38 specials in my Marlin micro-groove rifle. After
    If this was your regular load and it had not happend before a thought may be carbon build up grabbing lead and lube and amalgamating into a hard crusty PITA nasty looking substance.
    Here in Maine we call it CRUD.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters