Voters
488. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single-Action

121 24.80%
  • Double-Action

183 37.50%
  • Just can’t decide. Love both.

180 36.89%
  • Don’t like revolvers. Prefer my automatics.

4 0.82%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Revolver Poll

Boolit Master
    it does not matter. i have learned to shoot them all. when i go out carring it could be a sa, da or a sa auto as in hi-power or 1911. also carry a ruger black hawk or a ruger security-six.

Boolit Master
    My vote goes to the DA revolver.

Faster first shot

Faster reloads

Two modes of fire

The contention that you can't shoot a heavy revolver like a .44 mag is not correct. My Mountain Gun weighs a scant 39 oz. with a 4 inch barrel and I DA it regularily. My heavier guns get DA'ed as well.

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    My vote goes to the DA revolver.

Faster first shot

Faster reloads

Two modes of fire

The contention that you can't shoot a heavy revolver like a .44 mag is not correct. My Mountain Gun weighs a scant 39 oz. with a 4 inch barrel and I DA it regularily. My heavier guns get DA'ed as well.

Three 44s
    I completely agree. The only 44 I've ever had any trouble with quick second shots is an old Charter arms Bulldog, because it's so light. But even that one can be mastered with a little practice. I shoot my "Bounty Hunter" (44 magnum 3 inch Barrel) almost exclusively DA.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

i like the DA revolver. older smiths. so smooth......
    seem to fit the hand better.

Boolit Mold
    My favorite - Smith and Wesson Model 686 Combat Masterpiece. Can shoot the stoutest .357's or down loaded .38 wadcutters. Usually shoot single action, some rapid DA.

Boolit Master
    single action, I have trouble with making dicisions, you know,should I cock and fire or pull and fire.

I like em both and for different reasons. The SA, (RUGER Blackhawk) for me anyway is more accurate. The DA (Smith 642 and Ruger Security Six) more adapt for personel defense or duty backup.
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman .. . Neither works.

Women always say that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts.There is no way to prove that they are wrong.

But a year or so after giving birth a woman will often say "It would be nice to have another child".

You never hear a guy say, "It would be nice to get kicked in the nuts again".

Vendor Sponsor
    DA S&W 625,,,, USPSA/ ICORE/ IDPA gun,,, one revo does it all!!!!!!

Boolit Master

tough call

Had to vote "Can't decide". Like Quigley, didn't have much use for one 'til I had to carry one. For those who think a DA is slow... oh my, Ed McGivern's ghost is listening. Unreal 5 shots timed with accuracy! Comparing single actions to double actions is like apples to oranges. I guess the vicarious, anachronistic, student of history in me makes both the cap & ball and SAA types very appealing.

Boolit Master
    I like all handguns but my favorite wheelgun is my Colt Officers Model 38Spl. Then a S&W K22 followed by 2 M28S&Ws. My alltime favorite would be a Colt Python if only I had one. To this point in time no one has shot a SA as fast and accurately as a DA. McGivern on many occasions shot 5shots into a playing card at 15ft in 2/5 of a second. He could consistantly hit 5 clay targets hand thrown in the air at the same time using a DA. I don't think anyone has ever done that with a SA. I am currently reading McGivern's book Fast And Fancy revolver shooting and it is a real eye opener. I have several of each type but I lean toward the DA revolver.

Boolit Master

favs

Already voted as "Can't decide" . Here's pic of some of my favorites.

S&W K
    Rem 1858
    Colt SAA
    Last edited by 405; 12-29-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    I own at least one of each and shoot them all. I like them all. As stated before its a preference thing. Each has its situation where it shine above the rest.

For me; so long as it goes bang when its suppose to.

Everett
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Buddy

I have shot and enjoyed all kinds of handguns - but nothing has been the same since I wrapped my fingers around "Big Ugly", my .480 Super RedHawk. It's a wonderful revolver. Bill.

Boolit Master

I like both, but I voted for Double-Action, because I have more of them, and they are my "go-to" revolvers for shooting at the range or taking in the field. Here's my latest acquisition:

Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

SA or DBL Action.

I have been a gun collector for 20 years now and have a lot of both. But my favorite is a Dan Wesson SS 4" wih a muzzle break. I carry this when I go hiking loaded with 300gr gc boolits since we have had some bear activity lately. For street carrying is a Colt Defender 3" 45ACP lite weight.

Boolit Master
    I have and love both. My favorite gun is my S&W M27 6".
    My favorite type of gun is a K frame Smith with the M19 (4" or 6") at the top. The reasons are the proportional looks and the ideal grip frame size. Yes, L frames have the same size grip, but don't have the classical "classy" look.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

I own and love both as well, but double action just seems to balance and shoot better
    K-22, Dan Wesson 15-2, S&W 29 or 25-2 - yeah baby these are some of my favorite things.

I like 1911s more than wheel guns. I've had a few revolvers, the .32 H&R, 327 Federal, couple SP101 and GP in the 357 Mag. All double action, mostly for defense reasons. I just prefer semi autos to revolvers.

I will admit if I could own (and afford it) the one revolver that gets my heart pumping fast is a Freedom Arms .41 Magnum. But the .44 Special conversion on a GP100 does sound neat too.

I always entertained the opinion that double action was for defense and single action was for hunting, but a large caliber DA for hunting in bear country fell under "defense".
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Man
    After seeing this poll posted I felt it was my duty to attempt to make an informed vote based on first hand ownership of both types. Since I have only owned SA revolvers up to this point I started a search for a DA. I was hours from buying a S&W M25 Mountain Gun when I found the local dealer had a Colt Diamondback in .38.

I now have a new favorite in the safe. The Colt has such a sweet trigger in both DA and SA. I thought my Vaquero trigger was pretty good before, now it feels like a sponge. I've only had a chance to send 100 handloads downrange with the Diamondback, but after shooting easy 2.5" DA groups at 20 ft as fast as I could and then dropping 4 steel plates at 50+ yards with 5 shots regularly I couldn't be happier. By the way I only shoot the Colt DA. With that smooth pull there is no need to use it SA.

I did vote undecided since I enjoy shooting both the Ruger and the Colt. I just have a feeling the Colt will get more of the attention in the future.

Boolit Buddy
    Only reason why I like the Double Actions is because they load while swinging the Cylinder to the side, and they can still be fired single action if you so desire...

Fast reloads are ESSENTIAL in a modern handgun that you may someday be carrying in defense of your life or your family... As such, I need quick reloads!

Ruger SP101 for CCW... Alaskan 454 would be a DREAM to own someday for me!

I'm a big fan of the Webley & S&W Schofield as well.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast