MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: #2 remington rolling block

Boolit Grand Master

#2 remington rolling block

How hard is it to drill the breech block to convert from rimfire to centerfire? Or should I try to find one of the Uberti breech blocks?
    The barrel leads pretty bad with navy arms 32 longs as it is, so I was thinking about relining it and going with either 32 S&W Long or maybe 32 Mag.

Just looking for options right now.

Thanks,

Robert

Interesting thought. Could try link below for parts. There other RB new made
    parts out there I think?

http://kwk.us/FA/
    www.lonestarrifle.com
    http://www.wisnersinc.com/
    Kenn Womack
    5100 Garden Valley Rd
    Garden Valley CA 95633
    (530) 333-2233
    https://www.vtigunparts.com/ab224000...t%2C+%2E357Mag

AND a post on cal change
    http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=19524
    Last edited by gregg; 06-04-2006 at 02:57 AM.

In Remebrance

I have a #4 Rem and a #6 Rem. Both have been altered to CF by welding up the RF pin hole and making a new pin for the CF. The #4 was a 32 Long RF, the #6 a 32 Short RF. If the rifling is good then altering to 32 S+W long is a snap. Just ream the chamber to the slightly larger 32 S+W Long. A 32 Mag reamer will work. The bore of the 32 RF's varies. Some run around .310, some up to .312+. I've heard of some as tight as .308. PRior to losing the #4 barrel during an attempt at repairing the corroded chamber (couldn't extract even the 32 shorts anymore) it shot very well and I could keep 5 shots in 4" at 100 yards wih the open sights. It was a superb trapline rifle. I'm saving for a Green Mountain barrel now. The #6 needs some chamber reaming as it hasn't been opened yet and the 32 S+W cases cling a bit too much for the extractor. When I get the GM barrel I'll rent the reamer and do both. These are some of the best woods loafing rifles around. I'm trying to get 2 more #4's and a Stevens Marksman in 25 Long to play with.

FWIW- In the #4 using the 311316 and SR7625 I got well over 1100 fps with the primers still rounded. There are more suitable powders if you hunt around a bit. Unique works as does Red Dot. For the #6 I used the Honady swaged 90 swc and the 311316. I think Bullseye and Red Dot were the powders. No velocity taken, but they knock porkys out of trees quite well.
    Last edited by Bret4207; 06-04-2006 at 08:03 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the info. The bore on this one isn't quite a sewer pipe; it still shoots good, it just leads like crazy. I think I'll try converting the breech block and rechamber then see how it shoots with different boolits. Relining it can still be an option.

Thanks,

Robert

In Remebrance

I'm not sure of the size of the #2 barrel, but the #4 is only 7/8 at the breech and like 11/16 at the muzzle. Guess what happens when you try and drill it out with a 13mm drill with a less then perfect pilot?