Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Base on H&R Shotgun...

Boolit Master

Base on H&R Shotgun...

This may be a waste of time and money, but I have an older H&R single-shot 10 gauge. Yea, I know, it cost about $80 (?) new!!! Anyhow, I have some very good reloads for it that I use for turkey and a very good 00 buckshot load that I use for whatever I want to!!! I load them with an old MRC reloader—the one you use a hammer throughout the reloading process—yield about 10 per hour!!!

Now the question: I have developed a blind spot in the center of my right eye so I can no longer see the bead on the barrel of the shotgun. I feel certain that no one would make a base for this particular shotgun so that an extended eye relief ‘scope could be mounted on it. That is about the only way I can shoot any rifle or handgun right handed anymore. Any thoughts as to how one (base) might be rigged or what type a person might attempt to use? I suspect the gunsmithing fees will be more than ½ dozen of the inexpensive shotguns are worth, but it is a damn good shooter using a duplex 4’s over 6’s copper and a buffer. (What causes people to think of such projects?) Thanks…BCB

Banner Sponsor

How thick is the metal around the chamber? Would it be thick enough to drill and tap and mount a regular H&R scope base? The kind on the handi rifles?
    If not, then what about silver soldering a flat base on top of the barrel to mount to?

Boolit Master

Thanks lar45...
    I will check into the handi rifle base. Ain't sure about the radius of the handi rifle compared to the shotgun. Still it might be worth a look and see. I know it is a crazy project, but the dang thing shoots very well and I hate to give up on it for turkey just because I can't see the front bead anymore...BCB

Banned
    the steel is more then thick enough, make sure you bottom tap and make the screws just long enough to lock tight without hitting bottom

Handi Scope....

Quote Originally Posted by meldrimgunsmith
    the steel is more then thick enough, make sure you bottom tap and make the screws just long enough to lock tight without hitting bottom

You sound like you know your Handi Rifles. Is the mount that NEF sells for the HR a good one? I've got a big ol' long Weaver 60 Series K-6 that I want to put on my .45/70 HR. Will it stay tight and sighted in with that steel tube scope and hefty loads?

Thanks,

Dennis

Banned

Wink

if you get the short mount, they work fine. the long ones that extend over the barrel with the nut to run donw to the barrel are CRAP.
    make sure you get good steel rings and not aluminum. large bore guns have a tendency to kick the mount loose, so use some BLUE loctite

Thank you pal

Dennis