MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Scope mount for Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag

Moderator Emeritus

Scope mount for Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag

Hi,

I just bought a Weigand Combat scope mount for a Ruger Redhawk. I need to drill and tap two screw holes in the top strap above the cylinder to hold the mount. I have the proper drill and tap.

Should the holes go all the way through the top strap or should they be stopped at a certain depth? Part of the instructions say "Trim the screws flush with the inside of the cylinder window". I assume that this means that the holes go completely through the top strap and then I grind the bottom of the screw if necessary so that it doesn't interfere with the cylinder.

Will two holes spaced about 3/8" apart (lenghwise, not side to side on the strap) weaken the top strap to where I should be concerned at all? The third screw goes in the existing rear site. The mount is desinged for a Redhawk.

My plan is to make sure the drill press table is perpendicular to the drill bit, mount the pistol (padded) in a drill press vise, square the top strap to the drill bit, centerpunch the holes, and drill away. I would guess that I want a fairly slow spindle speed. The pistol is stainless. Any coments or suggestions?

Thanks,
    John

Banned
    midway has one that is no drill for about 30 bucks
    also brownells hax one.
    unless you have a way to make sure the weapon is square and level be extra slow and careful

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus
    Should the holes go all the way through the top strap or should they be stopped at a certain depth? Part of the instructions say "Trim the screws flush with the inside of the cylinder window".

John,

I chose not to run them all the way through so that you won't see the holes if and when I go back to open sights. If you do go all the way through, just watch the front screw hole and what is under that. You don't want a hole there.

Moderator Emeritus
    Thanks...

I will stop the holes short of the bottom of the strap.

I have tried a "no drill" mount and didn't like it at all. It scratched the sides of the revolver when I installed it (I was carefull) and moved under recoil.

John

Banned
    the screws need to be deep enough for you to bottom tap, other then just go slow when you are tapping and use good cutting oil

Boolit Master

for what its worth s & w revolvers are drilled all the way through the top strap, and freedom arms are not!