Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Newbie intro and question/s

Cool Newbie intro and question/s

Hello all, the names Ron & I been loading my own for bout 20 years now. Not an expert but proficient in my own. Anyways, I teamed with a more experienced caster years back and made a mess of lead 45 ACP boolits and that it about the extent of my molding experience aside from fishing weights.......
    Anyways, I'm a shooter, been a shooter since I was knee high to a grasshopper and probly always will be till the end. Anyways, enough of me.
    I have a question concerning bullet lubes. I have been researching a bit as of lately and Ya'll have some great resource material here. I also have read other material elsewhere and I would like you all to help me separate some of the reality from the hype. Maybe it is hype, maybe not but I have to ask, have any of you tried this lube:
    http://lbtmoulds.com/lube.shtml
    And if so, can this possibly be reality here? I mean, "Don't Clean It" C'Mon?
    And the LBT soft, can it really be soft and not migrate into the GP in the heat of a dashboard in summer sun?
    Please don't get me wrong, I am in no way attempting to bash this site. I am merely attempting to establish whether or not these are credible statements so I know whether or not to purchase or just make my own.
    Let me know whatcha think and I look forward to pickin ya'lls brains a bunch in the future.
    best,
    Ron.

In Remembrance
    Welcome Ron,

In over thirty years of reloading and shooting what I reloaded, and throw in ten more years before that with my daddy looking over my shoulder, I've yet to see any round--reloaded or not, j-bullet or lead--that left your gun cleaner after it was fired than the gun was before it was fired.

A number of us have come up with several lube concoctions that have minimized residue and fouling--especially compared to the old "crayon" lubes used by some commercial casters.

LBT? Not bad stuff and there are a lot of casters who like the lube. I like their lead-hardness tester, personally.

Best advice is to try some of each. If you're going to buy your lube rather than make it (which is probably smart), you'll have a hard--if not downright impossible--time finding anything that works better than Lars' Carnauba Red or Bullshop's Speed Green.

Both are vendors and supporters of this site, and both are top-shelf outstanding folks. Their links are at the very bottom of the page. Check 'em out.

Boolit Master

Ron: What the above poster failed to tell you is the both Lar's and Dan's prices are about a third of the other commercial lubes you will see out there. Additionally their products are spot on mammarries up the best!

If you are considering buying a mold then drop a line to Dan C. at Bullshop and tell him what you want. He will cast a few boolits for you and you can test them in your gun to see how they perform. Either you can buy a mold from him or somebody else you will know how they work for you.

The Bullshop Sprue Plate Lube is the best stuff since bottled beer. I have been a user of both their line of products for years and I have never regretted it.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    Agreed on what is already stated. I use Lars (White Label Lube) Carnauba Red and their BAC and have had excellent results. Bull Plates sprue lube is the best and since using it I don't know what the heck I was doing without it; it is an aluminum mold's best kept secret. Don't know what is in it, am curious though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 10mill View Post
    Hello all, the names Ron & I been loading my own for bout 20 years now. Not an expert but proficient in my own. Anyways, I teamed with a more experienced caster years back and made a mess of lead 45 ACP boolits and that it about the extent of my molding experience aside from fishing weights.......
    Anyways, I'm a shooter, been a shooter since I was knee high to a grasshopper and probly always will be till the end. Anyways, enough of me.
    I have a question concerning bullet lubes. I have been researching a bit as of lately and Ya'll have some great resource material here. I also have read other material elsewhere and I would like you all to help me separate some of the reality from the hype. Maybe it is hype, maybe not but I have to ask, have any of you tried this lube:
    http://lbtmoulds.com/lube.shtml
    And if so, can this possibly be reality here? I mean, "Don't Clean It" C'Mon?
    And the LBT soft, can it really be soft and not migrate into the GP in the heat of a dashboard in summer sun?
    Please don't get me wrong, I am in no way attempting to bash this site. I am merely attempting to establish whether or not these are credible statements so I know whether or not to purchase or just make my own.
    Let me know whatcha think and I look forward to pickin ya'lls brains a bunch in the future.
    best,
    Ron.
    Welcome to the continuing addiction, Ron.

As to your first question, I think you should get some LBT and draw your own conclusions about the cleaning. You must keep in mind that Veral caters to benchrest shooters who fuss over consistent bore conditions like new mothers over their babies. That is what his lube was developed for. A far cry from the habits of most of us, so the lube may not do what you are thinking it is advertised to do in your particular context.

As for what to use, the above advise is about the best anyone can give you, you could literally spend a lifetime educating yourself and testing theories, developing and testing lube formulas, but it really isn't all that big of a deal. Get some of Lar's stuff or Bullshop's Speed Green (add it to your Bullplate order that you should be placing anyway and save shipping) and be happy!

When you start shooting small bore rifle at over 2,650 fps you might need to be a little more picky with your lube choice, but then again maybe not!

Gear

I've used LBT, both hard and soft for 20+ years in every thing I shoot. Is it a good lube? Yes. Are there other lubes as good? Yes. Can LBT be shot without cleaning? Yes, under the right conditions. Good barrel and proper boolit fit. Veral of LBT has been one of the top Guru's of boolit casting for lots of years. I would not dought any thing he says. So get some Bullplate, which is a must, some Lar's, LBT, Speed Green make up a batch of FWFL. This will keep you busy for a while. And above all have fun.
    Mugs
    IHMSA 5940L
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Agreed on what is already stated. I use Lars (White Label Lube) Carnauba Red and their BAC and have had excellent results. Bull Plates sprue lube is the best and since using it I don't know what the heck I was doing without it; it is an aluminum mold's best kept secret. Don't know what is in it, am curious though.
    Use Lars lube exclusively. Currently the BAC. Bullplate is a great product. Amazing that just a hint of it is all that's needed

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

10mill, welcome to Castboolits.

Diddo what Mugs said, I've been using LBT for 20+ years also. When testing home brew recipes LBT is the lube I use as a standard to compare barrel condition, velocity, extreme spreads and groups.

One thing I learned with home brews is that making a lube that prevents leading is easy, most do when used with the correct pressure/velocity for the firearm, accuracy can definitely be effected by lube.

Are there other lubes as good or possibly even better than LBT? Probably but I'm only 61 years old, not nearly old enough to have tested all of them. Since I started using LBT I have never had a lube related issue from the lightest powder puff loads to as hot as I've shot my 308, sticking with it eliminates one variable.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Cool

Thanx for all the great replies & warm welcome gents. Ya'll seem like a great bunch! Glad to be onboard!

y
    Political correctness defined :

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.