PBcastcoReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Bowling Pin Blasting Bullets!! Questions/Options

Boolit Mold

Bowling Pin Blasting Bullets!! Questions/Options

OK, I've been using a Lyman 452460 four cavity mold for my Bullseye bullets with great success on paper. (200gn SWC)

And a Lee double cavity 230gn RNHP mold with limited success for blasting pins at my local club.

But as with anything, I'm looking for more! For 45acp, will the Lyman 250gn RNFP 452664 or the Lyman 255gn SWC 452424 feed through most 1911's? (Kimber Stainless II, Colt 1911A1, Springfield 1911A1)

Now, I've barely got enough free time on my hands to keep up with my Bullseye needs with the 200's that I'd just rather buy lubed bullets like those from molds above. Does anyone have a source for where I might purchace what I'm looking for? These need not be expensive absolute accurate bullets. I'll probably just shove them through the sizing die to be consistant, but I'm not looking for H&G accuracy to knock bowling pins down. I'm not finding what I want on Ebay...

I'm trying to stay away from jacketed fodder.

Your comments are welcome.

-Steve
    Last edited by JackOfAllTrades; 05-31-2006 at 05:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot a lot of bowling pins way back in the 80s. Went to Second Chance three times - managed to get my name on the upper half of the scoreboard although I never was in danger of being mistaken for a pro.
    For good pin smack you need MOMENTUM and momentum comes easiest with heavy bullets. I used Lyman's 454190 cast harder than He!! and sized to .452 - they weighed about 235 grs. with the lino I was using. That little flat meplat seemed to transfer momentum well. Loaded over a charge of 231 that was probably a little TOO vigorous in retrospect the accuracy was plenty good enough for pins. They fed well in my 1911 and they'd shove pins back with authority. If I could find a place around here to shoot pins today I'd use the same bullet, but I'd probably exercise a little of my mature wisdom (Ahem!) and switch to Unique, or at least reduce the charge of 231 to a level that DIDN'T sometimes bulge cases over the feed ramp.

Boolit Master
    I havent tried anything heavier than 230gr in my 45 but if I was in your shoes I would try a couple of the Lee 2 cavity molds. They make a 252gr swc mold and a 255gr RNFP mold. If you dont need a lot of bullets they would be a good way to try something new.

Places like Midway and many other reloading dealers should have similar bullets available http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=570633

Adam

Check out Bullshop's offerings. He'll cast anything you want.
    Born OK the first time.

I'm using the Lee 228 gr 1R RN bullet. Seat it pretty deep so that only about 1/16 inch of the sized band sticks forward of the mouth. I use it in a springfield armory XD tactical which is very sensitive to feeding. Local falling plate competition it does real well. Hit it any where 1" above the bottom and the plate is go'n DOWN. I watch guys with 9mm or 40's tak'n more than one shot at some of the plates even if they hit the plate about mid way up. I'm pushing it with 5.0 of ww231 and really happy with the results. I know the XD is a completely different gun than the 1911 but for rapid fire on multiple targets, I LIKES it BERRY much...
    Stand by, Ready, Buzzzzzzz Bang-ting, Bang-ting, Bang-ting, Bang-ting, etc
    Dan, A fast bullseye shooter or slow action pistol shooter.

Boolit Master
    I shot pins for one season. I tried a few things and those add on bushing/comps are junk.

The thing I liked the most is the lee 6 cavity TL 200 SWC. Pour em, tumble lube em and load em. We shot 200 rounds a night.

I found Loading them hotter increased recovery time. Shot em down faster with lighter loads like 4.0 bullseye. I tried max charges of Blue Dot, but sizzeling boolits hurt my time.

I also shot pins with a 357 revolver with similar speed.

It was fun to watch the guys with then "New" 9mm shoot at the pins. They held 13 to 17 shots and needed a bunch of em. If you can't clear the table in 5 shots, you are not going to be near the front of the pack.

My dad had a 3" smith aniversery (gun of the month) 44 special. Awesome gun for pins.

By the way, I have 10 cases of pins in my garage. As soon as I find time, I am going to hold a local match to shoot em up. Those things are a BLAST!

I never saw one, but guys used to swage "teeth" into lead boolits to grab the pins and spin them off the table if they hit em a little off center.

David
    Last edited by David R; 05-31-2006 at 09:28 PM.

Boolit Master

ive been useing the saeco #058 a 220 gr swcbb when cast of WW , it has a large meplat and does not have a crimp grove, it is made for the 45 acp to be used in bowling pin shooting, col length is around 1.200 and feeds in every 45 that has been throated in the normal manner between my brother in law & i we have probley shot 30,000 of this bullet and it is accurate . when i was shooting in matches more often my best time ever for 5 pins in unlimted auto was 2.22 seconds now i seemed to of slowed up a bit more like high 2 & low 3

Boolit Buddy

I shot a lot of bowling pin competitions years ago. The matches all seemed to disappear, and I migrated to ISPC, IDPA and Steel Challenge. Its hard to beat the Lee 200gr SWC in the 6 holer for the 1911. One mistake the shooters used to make is loading to light, you need the power factor to knock it off the table. For the .45ACP revolver (625) I still use the SWC for the first load, and the Lyman 230gr RN (forgot the number) for the reloads. The round nose finds the holes in the cylinder much quicker than the SWC for the reload, of course in bowing pins if you need to reload you already lost, and are finishing the shoot for fun.
    I had a pin rack in my back yard, but resetting the pins was a pain, more walking and resetting the pins than shooting. So I made the same dimension as the pin out of steel and bolted them to a 4X4 rack. Now I shoot the pins a few times, then take some white spray paint to the hits, then shoot again.

Boolit Master
    I would use something with a flat nose. I imagine a round nose would be more apt to glance off the pins.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Mold
    Thanx for all your input. I've emailed Bullshop. We'll see what Dan comes up with.

I've found that the RNhp doesn't glance off the pins as long as they're loaded hot enough. I've also found that the 200gn swc isn't heavy enough to remove pins from the table even if loaded hot to make powerfactor. That's why I'm asking about a 240gn+ bullet that will feed through a 1911. The heavier Saeco and Lyman offerings have my attention. I'm trying to stay away from Midway and the likes because they charge more with shipping and handling. I'm looking for someone that casts/Lubes, that'll sell a few thousand, that'll ship using a flat rate shipping from USPS or other cheap means.

-Steve
    Last edited by JackOfAllTrades; 06-01-2006 at 01:10 PM.

Cool

If you're looking for a ~240 SWC, try the 452423. In my alloy they weigh 238 going into the case.

We just did a GB of that design in a 6 C Lee.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Mold
    I used the lyman 454485 with good results but recently switched to the Lee 230 gr tc mould because I can cast them faster (six cavity). Mine run 235 gr with wheel weight alloy. I gave up a little weight but the flater nose seems to take them off better. The rounder nose on the 454485 tends to spin them more often if they are hit off center.

If you'd rather buy 'em, Magnus Bullet Co. has got a nice pin bullet. It is their number 807, which they label the "PinGrabber".