PBcastcoTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Need loads for 7.62 x 33

Need loads for 7.62 x 33

Ok, pardon the obfiscation, 7.62x33 was the marking on ONE case I found in resizing some 500 - 700 cases of 30 Carbine.

I'm looking for several recommendations of different cast loads:

a) accurate

b) quiet

c) squirrel/rabbit loads

d) HEAVY boolet loads

I'm shooting a US Postal Meter M1 Carbine and a Ruger Single Six.
    trk
    aka Cat Whisperer
    Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
    N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Super Moderator

.............Boy, that title really called in the clans, didn't it I'm at work and all my notebooks are at home, so I won't quote specifics. I tried 2 cast lead boolits in a M1A1 I owned 22 years ago. They were the Lee C309-113F and the Ly 311410 which as you know is a 130gr RNPB. It fed very well and was minute of basketball at 50 yards. The carbine with factory jacketed wasn't too far behind. Well actually at 50 yds it'd do maybe 1.5" on good day.

The Lee was really the winner so far as cast went and full power type loads with H4227 weren't much bigger then factory. Call it 2" at 1850 fps. I think it was 11.8 grs.

In my Ruger BH, NOTHING was quiet (I see you mention quiet loads). I don't think there is such a thing unless you have a 24-26" bbl . In the interest of just making some plinking fodder it was again the Lee Soup Can and loads like 2.5grs of W231, and naturally I also tried Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique and the like.

The lightest which where also the quietest used the 77gr RNPB Lyman 311252. Accuracy with these wasn't up to that of the Lee but loads of 1.5grs of Bullseye would work and just made an anemic kind of pop. I doubt their utility except against sparrows at 15 ft. At least from MY revolter.

It was amazing to me that loads similar to 38 WC target loads which merely made the customary bang, would make your ears ring out of the Ruger BH. Accuracy was NEVER consistant for me with that pistol. I even spent the bucks for a scope mount and put a 4X Tasco on it to no avail. The cylinder has what I consider too much lateral movement and I believe that is it's main ailment. All the dimensions that count in a revolver were right.

I have an article by Venturino where he says his Ruger 30 M1 was the most accurate out of the box revolver he'd ever shot to that point. Brian Pierce made a similar statement in another magazine and I used to read each article after shooting mine, just to make sure I hadn't been dreaming when I'd previously read it.

....................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Looks like I need to get the original soup can!

Yea. 7.62x33 stopped me cold when I saw it. Have about 3 cases so marked.

Agree, the Blackhawk barks - loud and louder. I'd love to have a 21" contender barrel in 30 Carbine!

Thanks for the info and perspective!
    trk
    aka Cat Whisperer
    Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
    N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Boolit Master

Skeeter said it like this.

Buckshot, I'm pretty sure it was Skeeter Skelton that first described shooting the Ruger BH in .30 Carbine. He said it felt like someone smacked him in the face with a wet towel as the same time they set off a dynamite cap in each ear! I never forgot that description and I hope I am giving credit to the correct source. It certainly did get the picture across!

Boolit Master

i shoot the SAECO 95 gr SWC with 2.7 gr WST for a good plinking load in the Ruger pistols. Never tried cast in the rifle, using Hornady half-jacket was always great.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Smile .30 Carbine

In my G.I. Carbine, I've had good luck with the 311359 (120 grains in my alloy) usually over 13 grains H 4227 and WSR primer.

Never a problem with feeding this pointed design out of the magazine and decent accuracy, too. Haven't tried it in the BH yet.
    Regards,

WE