MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .36 squirrel rifles. anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    I was thaaaaaaaaaaat close! I ordered an Early Lancaster from TVM, with the usual upgrades. Living in Idaho I finally bumped it to a .40 since we don't have any huntable populations of tree squirrels. Been here since summer of 1978 from the St Louis and aside from the Cardinals baseball about all I miss are tree squirrels and those amazing little bass ponds on every small farm in Illinois/Missouri.
    I will likely find room in the shop for a Sourthern Mtn Rifle in .32 or .36 late this year.

Fine rifles, and a great eastern caliber.

Rich

ummm ? where did you go2 skool ? st.louis is in illinois.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Almost forgot I have an orginal signed 42 cal barrel that was built with some other parts back in the 40's or 50's I think !

Haven't fired or messed with this one yet !

Barrel is signed by something "Martin" can't remmeber the first name or middle initial .

Anyway this one just might make a nice target/squirrel rifle
    That is most likely a Hacker Martin barrel.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Nope not Hacker !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

anyone use a .45 ? for a squirrel rifle ?

just what ? is a .45 really good for ?

not knocking the .45 ... just seems to me it falls into the ''im gonna grow up and be a deer rifle'', and i'm to big to play with the little guy's...

or am i ?

Boolit Man
    I got some 36/32 cal sabot and shoot 60 gr FMJ make a good squirrel load accurate to 25yds usually sight in at 50 ft for tree shooting.
    "Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
    anyone use a .45 ? for a squirrel rifle ?

just what ? is a .45 really good for ?

not knocking the .45 ... just seems to me it falls into the ''im gonna grow up and be a deer rifle'', and i'm to big to play with the little guy's...

or am i ?
    Read my other post. More specifically, yes, the .45 will kill a squirrel. Used it for that purpose, myself. Don't sell it short, it's the 30/30 of round ball fun.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post

There's whats on the barrel flats !

Near as I could find there was a guy in Lancaster PA with those initials back in the day that built rifles !

Boolit Master
    I to be take S.M. Martin to be Samual M. Martin !

Boolit Master

Here is some of my squirrel guns. The top one is a 62cal smooth bore thats great when there are leaves on the trees.The next is a 40cal Issac Haines rice swamped bbl. These are both left hand. The next is a right hand 36 TVM that I have been trying to sell for some time now. The last is kind of an odd left hand stock with a right hand lock in 45cal tapered bbl that will shoot the balls off a chigger.
    Last edited by Marvin S; 04-22-2012 at 07:40 PM.

In Remebrance

Whoa! Sweet Marv, you lucky dog. I'm a little late finding this thread. I have a little 32 percussion boys rifle. It's a bit small for me to shoot, but I get by. I'm sure it's some mid- 70's kit gun but it's kinda cute and will clover leaf 3 shots at 50 yards all day long. 5 generally stay under an inch, but as someone else said, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I've taken a number of porkys, snappers, squirrels etc with it. In my opinion it hit about like a 22 mag, maybe just a little harder, out to 65 -70 yards or so. After that it seems to peter out.

I'd love to have a full size long rifle like those in Marvs pictures. Beautiful. Of course having grown up with John Ambers articles on old "buggy rifles" I could go for a light under hammer too.

Too many desires, not enough time or money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Whoa! Sweet Marv, you lucky dog. I'm a little late finding this thread. I have a little 32 percussion boys rifle. It's a bit small for me to shoot, but I get by. I'm sure it's some mid- 70's kit gun but it's kinda cute and will clover leaf 3 shots at 50 yards all day long. 5 generally stay under an inch, but as someone else said, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I've taken a number of porkys, snappers, squirrels etc with it. In my opinion it hit about like a 22 mag, maybe just a little harder, out to 65 -70 yards or so. After that it seems to peter out.

I'd love to have a full size long rifle like those in Marvs pictures. Beautiful. Of course having grown up with John Ambers articles on old "buggy rifles" I could go for a light under hammer too.

Too many desires, not enough time or money.

john ambers ?

i love my little buggy, its sweet. [.36]

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Here is some of my squirrel guns. The top one is a 62cal smooth bore thats great when there are leaves on the trees.The next is a 40cal Issac Haines rice swamped bbl. These are both left hand. The next is a right hand 36 TVM that I have been trying to sell for some time now. The last is kind of an odd left hand stock with a right hand lock in 45cal tapered bbl that will shoot the balls off a chigger.

wow, very nice.

.45 caliber, shooting the ball's of a chigger...... now that's sum great shootin !

Boolit Master

wow, very nice.

.45 caliber, shooting the ball's of a chigger...... now that's sum great shootin !
    I use to think my favorite offhand rifle shot pretty good but dang, my have tune up ole tick-licker up a bit more.

In Remebrance

john ambers ?

i love my little buggy, its sweet. [.36]
    John Amber was a big time collector/writer and edited Gun Digest (the annual book, not the newspaper) back in the 60's- 70's. He would show off his collection of odd and rare old guns. He had Billinghurst buggys, etc. Beautiful stuff. He worked in the big sporting goods stores like Abercrombie and Fitch in NYC ( yeah, they used to sell guns and fishing gear!) back in the 40's era and managed to glom onto some incredible stuff.

Boolit Master

Ya gota have a good spottin scope as em chiggers er small.

That TVM has some gorgeous wood! A fine collection.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master

Thanks, I did not put the other large bore guns in since we where talkin squirrel blasters.

Boolit Master

Well I have 2 each of the tc cherokee and seneca rifles and love them both very much they are both shooters.
    My one seneca has a scope on it and I have shot it out to 200 yards just to see if I could and it hit right where I aimed.
    I have a few of those TC sidelocks and always looking for more.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rhbrink View Post
    i use to think my favorite offhand rifle shot pretty good but dang, my have tune up ole tick-licker up a bit more.

roflmao !!!!! Brraaaahhhhhh !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanshi View Post

This is my little .36 SM. Small & light, it feels like a kid's .22LR.

i like that ALOT .

awsome looking weapon you haves there sir !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast