Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .36 squirrel rifles. anyone ?

gotta little Mowry 36 cal. pretty as a new puppy. also have an old H&A 36 had it for a long while.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Boolit Grand Master

Those Dam'n buggy rifles... We got a fellow in the club who shoots one and beats the snot out of everybody with it. He bought it in the 60's as a kit for like $40 and it sure shoots. it is SO sad to get beat with that old *** and you are shooting a new custom rifle costing $1000.

If I remeber right he shoots 22 grains of FFFg and a patched r/b and is always in the winners circle at 25 and 50 and had even placed at 100.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by twotoescharlie View Post
    gotta little Mowry 36 cal. pretty as a new puppy. also have an old H&A 36 had it for a long while.

TTC
    AND I GET ACCUSED OF TORMENTING PEOPLE

TTC

Could you do me a favor and post a pic of that Mowrey with the sideplate removed so as I can see her innards? It would be much greatly appreciated.

thanks, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    AND I GET ACCUSED OF TORMENTING PEOPLE

TTC

Could you do me a favor and post a pic of that Mowrey with the sideplate removed so as I can see her innards? It would be much greatly appreciated.

thanks, Michael
    ha. you do. ALL THE TIME !!

yes, i'ed like to see the innards too.
    my buggy, should also be as pretty as a speckled pup, under a feed wagon.

Boolit Master
    My 36 cal squirrel rifle is and "original" A.B.Smith 36 cal percussion !

Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

6POINT !!!

WOW !! that is awsome !!!

now that is one beutifull stick ya got there !!!

i mean, that is just one very very nice rifle , yep, im green. you as bad as .357max.

if you ever wanna trade ? ha.

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Hanshi ....how has that traditions rocklock treated you? I have dearly wanted a flinter for awhile but am too cheap to buy a good one and have been led to believe the cheaper ones ain't worth a thimble of spit.

AND I WANNA KNOW FROM SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY HAS ONE WHAT HE THINKS...thanks

Michael
    My Crockett is a caplock so I can't give a first hand impression. I do have a flint rifle from another (fairly respected) Italian maker. I was very disappointed with the lock. While I did take deer with it, it was an "indifferent" sparker. I'd get a few firings from a flint and that's all. Sometimes it wouldn't even fire the first time; almost cost me a deer but did fire the second snap.

Granted I was not using the best flints and it does better now that I have better quality flints. Still, it is not a "50 shots to a flint" lock. While the rifle itself is a fine production rifle, the weak link is the mediocre lock. It's usable but can't compare with, say, a small Siler. It is very picky concerning flints.

My general impression is that ANY foreign flint lock (some USA factory locks) are a **** shoot! Buy two identical locks and one may work fine and the other not at all. If I ever buy another Spanish/Italian/other flint lock (and I won't) I'd make sure first that I either had someone lined up to tune it or an American made replacement.

By the way, I've had great luck with Traditions/Pedersoli/Euroarms, etc. percussion locks; even the very cheap ones. My Crockett is a delight.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Oh, and 6pt Sika, that is a very fine rifle you got there. Considering it is original it's basically pristine.

357Maximum, let me add that you get what you pay for (usually) and a cheap flint lock (not the whole shebang, just the lock) is NO bargain! Flintlocks rule! A custom one can be had for just a little more than an Italian import.

Also, if you come up on a screaming good deal on an Italian/Spanish flintlock, it may be worth buying regardless.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    Wabbit Wiffle,the squirrels here once you get out of town are nasty little pine squirrels, trust me you dont want to eat them
    I have a . 32 caplock that is built on a Ohio stock & I have a . 36 Rice on order to build a flintlock on a Vincent stock, reason that I am building a .36 , I already have a .32

Banned
    I am amazed at the quantity and quality of the squirrel rifles being posted in this thread....I honestly had no idea that many were around. You hardly never see such a thing here where I am at. The only ones I have ever personally handled were within my family or at a gunshow....wow thems some pretty treerat gitrz. I even had a great uncle that considered the 36 a do-it-all caliber. He shot and killed everything available here with it.

Hanshi thanks for the lowdown.....I was kinda hopin you would tell me a different story but got the story I was expecting. I had my brain in crooked I guess as I thought you had a flintercrockett.

BTW we have tons of squirrels here. Fox, grey, black, and them little red squirrels too. My treeing mtn currs help me and the clan caim about 100 or so in a normal season. We cheat and use .22LR though.

As far as eating I prefer them young of the year fox squirrels. My currs are not picky about which one they tree up however. Floured and browned in a pan and then baked with a little chicken stock. mmmm mmmm good.

Boolit Master

oh boy!

6pt.... my weakness is old original guns and related junk. Gets me in trouble everytime I see it. Very fine looking rifle! Quit posting pics of those things!

Boolit Master

Don't overlook the TC Seneca in .36 caliber.
    I had one and shot it regular for many years.
    It was a one hole shooter at 25 yards, cute as a new puppy too.
    After many thousands of shots the barrel started showing wear and it was traded off.
    The fellow who got it took it to TC and they rebarrreled it for free.
    It will still outshoot a lot of ca'trige guns.

BTW, it was the only front loader that I ever owned that prefered Pyrodex over real BP.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jhrosier View Post
    Don't overlook the TC Seneca in .36 caliber.
    I had one and shot it regular for many years.
    It was a one hole shooter at 25 yards, cute as a new puppy too.
    After many thousands of shots the barrel started showing wear and it was traded off.
    The fellow who got it took it to TC and they rebarrreled it for free.
    It will still outshoot a lot of ca'trige guns.

BTW, it was the only front loader that I ever owned that prefered Pyrodex over real BP.

Jack

BTW, it was the only front loader that i ever owned that prefered pyodex over real BP.

THATS the firse time i've ever heard that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
    BTW, it was the only front loader that i ever owned that prefered pyodex over real BP.

THATS the firse time i've ever heard that.
    Yep! Can't argue with what works though.
    I loaded 50gr by volume of pistol grade Pyrodex under a swaged round ball wrapped with a patch cut from 1/4 of a US miltary 30 caliber cleaning patch, greased with the old TC maxilube.

I never chronographed it but if it was goin less then 2000 fps I would be surprised. The balls would swage up to completely fill the rifling and if shot through a card target would leave a perfect impression of the rifling in the card.

I regularly shot empty 12 ga hulls at 25 yards offhand. It was almost boring. I was also a lot steadier handed in those days.

The sights were the TC "buckhorn" style front and vernier tang on the rear.

I kind of fell away from muzzleloaders and sold it to a pal for his daughter. Now I often wish that I hadn't let it get away.

I've been thinking a lot about an Enfield musketoon lately......

Jack

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405 View Post
    6pt.... my weakness is old original guns and related junk. Gets me in trouble everytime I see it. Very fine looking rifle! Quit posting pics of those things!

We've owned that rifle about 30-35 years !

And it either hung under the mantle piece in the living room or was in the safe until his past spring and summer when I took it out and started shooting it !

Pulled the drum out , removed the nipple and cleaned all that stuff as well as cleaning the heck out of the barrel !

Started shooting it with patched roundballs and Goex 3FG !

Thing still shoots like a champ after being on the face of the earth for somewhere in the neighborhood of 165-175 years !

Boolit Master
    I had thoughts of getting a nice Contemporary Flintlock in 36 or 40 cal . But my abilities at the moment with that old rifle far exceed my abilities with ANY of my flinters

Boolit Master

Hmmmmm, Mine is an original Haskell Rifle built in Painesville, Ohio in the 1850s. All parts are marked with the same number. It has an original Reminton barrel on it! The odd thing is that it has hexagonal rifling! It isn't cut rifling. I've never seen that before. Anyone else seen hex rifling in a .36 Remington barrel?

Boolit Master
    I was thaaaaaaaaaaat close! I ordered an Early Lancaster from TVM, with the usual upgrades. Living in Idaho I finally bumped it to a .40 since we don't have any huntable populations of tree squirrels. Been here since summer of 1978 from the St Louis and aside from the Cardinals baseball about all I miss are tree squirrels and those amazing little bass ponds on every small farm in Illinois/Missouri.
    I will likely find room in the shop for a Sourthern Mtn Rifle in .32 or .36 late this year.

Fine rifles, and a great eastern caliber.

Rich

Boolit Master
    Almost forgot I have an orginal signed 42 cal barrel that was built with some other parts back in the 40's or 50's I think !

Haven't fired or messed with this one yet !

Barrel is signed by something "Martin" can't remmeber the first name or middle initial .

Anyway this one just might make a nice target/squirrel rifle

Quote Originally Posted by jhrosier View Post
    Yep! Can't argue with what works though.
    I loaded 50gr by volume of pistol grade Pyrodex under a swaged round ball wrapped with a patch cut from 1/4 of a US miltary 30 caliber cleaning patch, greased with the old TC maxilube.

I never chronographed it but if it was goin less then 2000 fps I would be surprised. The balls would swage up to completely fill the rifling and if shot through a card target would leave a perfect impression of the rifling in the card.

I regularly shot empty 12 ga hulls at 25 yards offhand. It was almost boring. I was also a lot steadier handed in those days.

The sights were the TC "buckhorn" style front and vernier tang on the rear.

I kind of fell away from muzzleloaders and sold it to a pal for his daughter. Now I often wish that I hadn't let it get away.

I've been thinking a lot about an Enfield musketoon lately......

Jack

musketoon .....sounds good to me

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast