Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: .36 squirrel rifles. anyone ?

.36 squirrel rifles. anyone ?

ahhh....

following the ''tracking'' numbers... my buggy rifle in .36 ... is now in lenexa kansas.

do any one of you fine folks care to share what you know about .36 caliber squirrel rifles ?

just how accurate can they be ?

hunting storys ? pictures ?

load data ?

p.s.

mine should be here tomorrow

Boolit Master

The very first muzzleloader that I made was a 36. Had only briefly looked at a muzzleloader as a youngun 8 - 10 years old, decided I needed to build one I was in high school at the time (long time ago) so bought a book from Dixie and parts and went at it. It was kindof ruff but boy did it shoot, totally suprised me and everybody else that knew about. Going by memory about 1" groups at 50 yds, great accurcy to maybe 75 yds, 100 kind of iffy especially if the wind was blowing. Killed all kinds of game with it up to ground hogs, always surprised me how well it would kill a ground hog knowing that they are tuff and don't give up easy. Another surprise was what it would do to a squirrel, quickly learned that I had to drop down on powder to about 20 grains to keep from totaly destroying the tree rat. My normal long range load was 60 grains, never was bashfull about using large amounts of powder in anything, much to my peers discression (or whatever never did pay much attention to them anyway) Anyway bet you will have a blast with this one if it's what it think it is you'll probably need some .350 balls I may have some that I could send you if needed, I'll have to look to make sure haven't shot a .36 in a few years.

Boolit Master
    Buckweet;

Haven't seen a buggy rifle in years. Never owned one but there were lots of them around and all I remember shot well. My squirrel gun is a Bedford style 30 caliber that uses a #1 buck with a linen patch ahead of a 38 special case full of fffg. It will hit a squirrel head as far away as I can see one. Of course I can't see them as far away as I did when I built the rifle in the early 70's. I predict you'll like your 36.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    I was able to pick up a Knight right .36 a few years back from a guy that worked for Knight in their R&D department so I don't know if they were a catalog item or not but reguardless I have shoot .36 cal TC maxi bullets & .350 patched balls with great results and have taken several tree rats using 30gr fffg with the maxi. Good luck with your rifle.

thanks guys, this looks like its going to be a fun rifle,
    so everyone is using fffg, and .350 balls.
    rhbrink, thanks for the offer, i'll be in town today, we'll see if we can find any.
    thanks
    weet

ps, yes its a hopkins/allen .36 buggy rifle.

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    The .36 is a great round. I have a .32 and my father (johnlaw484) has a .36 cal Tennessee rifle. I don't believe there allot difference in the accuracy, but I believe his could be loaded a little heavier for larger critters, i.e. coyote sized game. You'll will love the powder savings.

Regards,
    Everett
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

im athinkin so. i'll probly shoot the .36 the most.
    i've got groundhawgs done in south pasture, but the yard dogs keeping em out of the yard, [most of the time]
    ever see three ''little'' rat terriers ? take on a full grown groundhawg ? wow ! blood everywhere !!
    so, i let em fight fror just a little bit if i can catch them fast enuff, then pump a .22 in the head. but now i'll use this .36
    found a old can of fffg, in the back shop, still need a few patches and balls, calling town, see if steve has and balls, or ? the maxies.
    i've got some # 11 caps......
    still watching driveway.... BBT oh where oh ! where ! are you tonight !? why did you leave me here all alone, ? i searched the world over for a .36 caliber, ha

The .36 rocks!....or something to that effect. My .36 is a flint Southern Mountain, very plain as were the originals. Unless you hunt deer, the .36 is what you'll have with you virtually all the time. Some states even allow the .36 to be used for deer. Certainly with the exception (maybe) of deer, it will take anything under that size with no problem. My favorite all around load is 30 grains 3f but I like 20 grains for bushytails & such. I've fired five shot groups as small as 3/4" at 50 yards with mine. I've never tried going up any higher than 30 grains. If I need more power I have a .40 I'll use. I predict you'll shoot it more than your other guns; I know I do.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

ohhhh....nooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!

flintlock..flintlock..flintlock..flintlock..flintl ock..flintlock..flintlock..

any of you machinests on here ? wanna build me a flintlock for my .36 underhammer ..???

i'll pay low dollar....

you know ? looking back in history....i can understand . alot of the old time guys carried small caliber rifles, 30-45 ?
    and back then, the deer wasent as many as we have now, so with the price of ? powder and ball.... i can see why so many of the old old rifles where smaller caliber.
    am i thinkin right ?

Boolit Master

My experience is more limited than some, but I have a TC Firehawk in 32 cal. I greatly enjoy shootin the little round. A patched RB is deadly accurate and will take a squirrel's head clean off! I would like to have a 36..someday. I am trying not to covet 19112TAP's Knight 36. Sounds like a dandy.

Boolit Grand Master

Haven't got a 36 but have wanted one for a long time. Maybe because it's one of the few calibers I don't own. Like any other gun though, how it shoots would be deturmined by how well it is made and finding the best load for it. I have 2- 32's and like them but I found that the smaller the caliber the harder it is to load. Not a big deal but it seems t be a tighter fit with patch and all and fowls quicker because it is smaller. I do concider it a minor point, barely worth mentioning though and they are fun little guns to shoot.
    Aim small, miss small!

, well im glad to hear your thoughts, pretty happy this one is a .36

im getting p.o.'ed with the big brown truck, tracking said, they left appelton city this morning at 7:19 , and would be delivered between 9:am and 7m.... they've had 11 hours.
    maybe they got stuck ?

here it is, quarter to 8,

oh, well ... maybe tomorrow ? hopes so.

Boolit Grand Master

Might still get it. They are suppose to run their deliveries until all done. Might want to check out front. Sometimes they jut drop them off.
    Aim small, miss small!

Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    Might still get it. They are suppose to run their deliveries until all done. Might want to check out front. Sometimes they jut drop them off.

sitting on porch, wrapped in indian blankett, smokin peace pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
    sitting on porch, wrapped in indian blankett, smokin peace pipe.

I know how you feel! Hard to sit still & wait. I have a Traditions Crockett .32. It is a fine little squirrel, small game, target and roaming rifle. A guy on another forum kills wild hogs with his .32 Crockett. .36 is similar but but capable of more. Some folks do their deer hunting with a .36! Those little 46 grain .32s are real fumbly.

This is my little .36 SM. Small & light, it feels like a kid's .22LR.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0377.JPG  

Banned
    Hanshi ....how has that traditions rocklock treated you? I have dearly wanted a flinter for awhile but am too cheap to buy a good one and have been led to believe the cheaper ones ain't worth a thimble of spit.

AND I WANNA KNOW FROM SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY HAS ONE WHAT HE THINKS...thanks

Michael

I have an old hatfield .36 percussion that I like real well. It is accurate but fouls quicker than a larger bore.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast