Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could only cast one 30 cal rifle boolit

Boolit Master
    Saeco #315.

Boolit Master

ONE MOLD ? Are you kidding ? NOBODY reading this site could only own one mold - withdrawal would be terrible . I had NO molds 3 years ago - I now own molds for calibers I don't own - yet....

Boolit Master

Talking

I agree with dualsport, SAECO #315 but that is for my Rem 40X in 308. Maybe the question should be, best boolit for a bolt gun, best boolit for a semi auto, and best boolit for a lever action.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    I agree with dualsport, SAECO #315 but that is for my Rem 40X in 308. Maybe the question should be, best boolit for a bolt gun, best boolit for a semi auto, and best boolit for a lever action.
    right...lol...but it aint...
    the question IS
    WHAT ONE SINGLE BOOLIT FOR THE GUNS HE HAS LISTED...

so my question is, will a saeco 315 fit in a k31 ?

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

You guys are to much! I bought a 311299. Sat. here in NH is supposed to be sunny. I might just blast with some M2 ball or some surplus russian stuff. Sunday is supposed to be crappy. Might be a good shop day.
    Melt some lead, cast some boolits. Mabey work on the 1903 sniper I'm building that I have all the parts for but have been to G*d damm busy to start on.

I'm thinking of starting another post. "If You could only have one 45 cal mold"

That could get crazy. Rifle or Hand gun. Course I like to shoot those big heavy 1.5 oz long gun Boolits

Flame, Smoke, Stink rules, just ask Mike.

45 Bpcr

Boolit Master

Hey Mike,
    The other day on the thread titled "If you could only cast one 30 rifle boolit" I stated that I am becoming very fond of the Lee .312-185 in my 7.5 Swiss. I should also have said that I use this bullet in my .30-06 03-A3. I use the same load in both.

You asked for the over all cartridge length and the bullet length. At the time I was unable to get the information for you but I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you so here it is.

Overall cartridge length is 2.773
    Bullet length is 1.032
    Bullet nose measures between .3015 and .3020
    Bullet is sized to .311

I load this bullet in Privi cases over 14.0 gr. of International Clays. You wont find this load anywhere but it seems to shoot very well.

Skeet1

Boolit Buddy

Maybe a stupid question, but here goes:

Use 1 mold - something along the lines of the C312-155-2R or C312-160-2R, not apply a GC, then load the boolit up-side-down for tubular magazine guns?

Apply GC and use as designed for other rifles where pointy boolits aren't a problem.

Boolit Grand Master

31141 Lyman, used in all of those from everything from plinking to targets with good results. From 1100 to 2100 fps and a sure game killer.

Thumbs up ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    The Lyman 311291 works well in a variety of .30 cals. I use it for .308, 7.5x55 & 7.62x54R (M39) and get great accuracy.
    i use the same mold in the same rifles. it just works.
    for the swiss and springfields i run the bullets up through a lee .309 sizer die.
    311291 is a great mold.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by 48bpcr View Post
    This post should start a firestorm,

IF you could have only one 30 caliber mold, which one would you pick and why?
    Easy--the Lee C312-185-1R 303 British (312 Diameter) 185 Grain 1 Ogive Radius Gas Check.

I have this mold and it is probably my favorite Lee rifle mold. I load this boolit in my Winchester 30-30 with a variety of different charges and it shoots extremely well. Likewise, it does very good in the 30-06, and at 185 grains, more than enough ooomph to knock down sizable game. And in the .303, for which it was designed, it works suberb in my Enfield. Only gun it is challenged in/for is the SKS or AK--but I do danged little casting for those guns anyhow.

Boolit Master
    Easy, 311284 in a 4-cavity mould by NOE so it would fit all my 30's.

Rich

The only 30 cal mold I own is a Lee 309-150f, for the 30-30
    Id not shoot cast though any of my high speed barrels
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Smile

The Lyman 311284 shoots extremely well for me in a 1917 Enfield, a Ruger #1, and a Colt Light Rifle, all 30-06's. The Lyman 31141 will also shoot well in them plus it is good in 30-30's and 308's. For a lighter boolet the Lyman 311466 works well for me in 30-06 or 308 rifles; it is amazingly accurate without a gas check over 9-10 grs of Trail Boss in 308 or 30-06.

I dont think one mold would be my choice as there are too many different ways to load the various 30-cals and enjoy them.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

30 cal

I use 311291 in my 1903 with 13.5 gr red dot at 1680fts.I also use the lee 312-160TL.and modern bond 311145-180-FB same charges.
    dont revers the pointed bullet it will gas cut.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master
    I nominated the Saeco 315. I'll add that it shot well in my Garand, cycles too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    +3 - It doesn't look like it should shoot as well as it does.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

31141, two cav, and have Buckshot HP one cav for you and you will have the best of a couple of things.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    The Lyman 311291 works well in a variety of .30 cals. I use it for .308, 7.5x55 & 7.62x54R (M39) and get great accuracy.
    Agree also. The Saeco 315 is a good one too.
    Too many Lyman 311299s cast small noses. I have to bump mine a little to get the nose up to .301

I agree with wildcat on the Lee 312 160 TL. This pointy thing shoots well in most of my .30's and carries enough felix lube to get the job done. My M14s like it a lot. I have a nice ideal marked 311284 that is a good shooter in most .30's also. I have an LBT 310-160 LFN that you cannot go wrong with.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Mold

one mold

I am new to rifle casting..I have yogo sks ,a russian mosin and a garand..Looking at a .312 155 cast for all...
    Will the .312 work in the garand or just the sks and mosin?

If I screw up any it will not be my garand!