RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: new barrel for 45colt handi

Boolit Buddy

new barrel for 45colt handi

Im wanting to put a new barrel on my handi. I am wanting a 45colt. I have a choise between 1:16 or 1:18. both are about the same price. I already load 45lc for revolvers and a Marlin 94. some of my favorites are 230 and 255gr cast bullits. I dont normaly hot load for fear that one will get into an old colt. but am thinking of trying a heavy bullit maybe 300gr. so if you had a choise would you take the 1:16 or the 1:18? DR

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Im wanting to put a new barrel on my handi. I am wanting a 45colt. I have a choise between 1:16 or 1:18. both are about the same price. I already load 45lc for revolvers and a Marlin 94. some of my favorites are 230 and 255gr cast bullits. I dont normaly hot load for fear that one will get into an old colt. but am thinking of trying a heavy bullit maybe 300gr. so if you had a choise would you take the 1:16 or the 1:18? DR
    The longer the bullet the faster the twist needs to be. So, if you think you're going to be shooting a lot of the 300 grain bullets, you might be better off with the 1:16.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Since your talking 45 cal and since the long range guys have pretty much standardised a 1/18" for long range with 530+ gn boolits I would say go with the slower of the two or even slower if your heavies will only be 300gn.
    In this case the faster of the two twist may cause more problems that it solves.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Buddy
    thanks guys Ive gotten the same answers in several places. firmly divided.

I have been enjoying the stickys and older threads . their are a lot of great ideas in them. I have been casting for along time and alot of this stuff is like why didnt I think of that. thanks and great site. DR