Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Good bullet for 45 Colt--Low Wall.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.

Good bullet for 45 Colt--Low Wall.

I have been loking for a low wall in 44 magnum for some time, but have been unable to find one. So I am considering one in 45 Colt. However i do not have anything for loading or casting a 45 Colt. I am looking for general comments on bullets, and such. Any information?? Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Master
    I do not have a low wall but do have several lever actions and an H&R handy rifle in 45 colt. It is a dandy cartridge to load and shoot and as for power you can eaqual a 44 Mag in a good strong rifle. I have loaded some rounds that nearly equal a 454 Casul mag in a lever gun for hunting deer. I would not load to that level in a Low Wall though. I shoot several different boolits in mine including the Lee 200 gr LFP, RCBS 230 gr LFP and Lyman 455 gr LSWC. I have also sized down the Lyman 290 gr LFP 45-70 boolit to shoot in my colts. That boolit loaded to around 1600 fps did in a wild hog weighing 250 pounds a couple of years ago. Went clean through diagonally entering in front of his left front shoulder and exiting behind the rear right rib. Needless to say it put him on his nose fast.

Boolit Mold
    my favorite bullet for 45colt is from RCBS 270-SAA. It drops out at 280 from my mixture.I also use it in both of my Freedom Arms 454. Brian Pierce wrote a good artical in Handloader mag about it.

I have a browning 1885 in .45 colt and I love it. It will shoot just about anything I put into it (never formally shot paper, but I can hit any rock I please.) I shoot lots of 452460, some commercial cast 250 RNFP's, and have shot some 255 keith SWC's through it with outstanding success (again commercially bought, but I think that they were 454424). It is very beautiful, but the crescent metal buttpate does get a little intimidating when shooting hunting loads of 280 LBT at about 1100fps, but those really go where I want them. hope this helps