RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
PBcastco Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2400; Hercules vs Alliant

Boolit Master

I am surprised I just found this thread thanks for the information . I am in the process of starting load development with the Lyman 429244 bullet (COATED) mine are a soft alloy finished with gas check they are running 258 grains .
    I was using IMR-4227 with conventional lubed bullets thinking of trying H-110 for these I see the Lyman 49 manual dropped the powder charges a bit from older books.

A couple years ago I bought a new can of Alliant Reloader 7 I was shocked when I poured some out the appearance it looks nothing like the older can I have!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I am surprised I just found this thread thanks for the information . I am in the process of starting load development with the Lyman 429244 bullet (COATED) mine are a soft alloy finished with gas check they are running 258 grains .
    I was using IMR-4227 with conventional lubed bullets thinking of trying H-110 for these I see the Lyman 49 manual dropped the powder charges a bit from older books.

A couple years ago I bought a new can of Alliant Reloader 7 I was shocked when I poured some out the appearance it looks nothing like the older can I have!

Yes this^^^^^ You miss the tagants too, red-white and blue, well the white was actually tan, that is two of Alliants version of old Hercules powders that look different(2400 & Reloder 7 are now short grained extruded stick powders), it does seem that the new versions are very-very-very close in speed and energy content though, they were careful!
    Last edited by swheeler; 04-12-2019 at 07:04 PM. Reason: 411
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

That is good I that they are close I will carefully rework any old load I might try Only one I really liked and may reuse is RE-7 under a 110 grain barrel in my 10" contender I have not fired it much in a few years.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master

I was out shooting 314-299 in the 7.62x54R today using RX7 with a grain of dacron, 24-25-26 20 rds each, the more I shoot it the more I like it. I find it interesting that people can load and shoot powder and never look at it, I know of people that can't tell you if the powder they are shooting is ball, stick or flake!!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I hear you there I have always looked closely at powder i reload or in cases I tear down that were found at the range.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123