WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: wax dye

Boolit Master

wax dye

Wonder if anyone has tried dye flakes to get their lube a dark color. Crayons are hard to find all the same color even though they worked fine. Then I saw these and ordered a couple of bags. Each flake is supposed to color a pound of wax, 8 to a bag, 95 cents/bag.

http://www.swanscandles.com/store/colorchips.html

Boolit Master

I like it, i could sell different colored beeswax "to order"

What color of beeswax would you like Sir?

Banned
    I use YALEY brand solid candle dye. It is thee best wax dye I have used...just do not try the flourescent colors.they settle out as myself and BaBore have discovered the hard way.

I have found that if you want real orange lube and are using beeswax......... orange dye will not work right by itself...you need to get red and yellow........you need to use twice+ as much red as yellow in concert to make a good orange with beeswax.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    It's paint chemistry at its best. Color as interpreted by the eyes is based upon a certain wavelength reflected by the substance. That light not absorbed by the substance is reflected. Whenever the substance is changed, a different color emitted can be expected. Simply adding an orange dye, might or might not work because the total of the substances must be taken into account as well as the light source color. The black color is the absence of light reflected, no matter the intensity and color of the source. That's why they call a Black Hole just that. In other words, no guarantees. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    I like wax dark blue so it's easy to tell if it's all the way around the boolit or not. If beeswax came in different colors, we'd be good to go!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    I use YALEY brand solid candle dye. It is thee best wax dye I have used...just do not try the flourescent colors.they settle out as myself and BaBore have discovered the hard way.

I have found that if you want real orange lube and are using beeswax......... orange dye will not work right by itself...you need to get red and yellow........you need to use twice+ as much red as yellow in concert to make a good orange with beeswax.
    +1

I use the same dye for my lithi-bee lube. I use green & by the time i'm done, the loob looks like wasabi... Works for me!
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Boolit Master

The darn bees wax is kinda brown and that craps the whole color thing up. Lube comes out a Golden yellow brown color. You have to take it into account when adding the other color.
    I have a blast with my pistol lube cause I use the micro wax and it's pure white. Takes the crayon or other dye great.
    You know I got to ask--Why-- do we go nuts over lube color? I mean come-on who the hell sees it? --Now before you behead me and call me out on that statement--let me say I have $hit canned a batch of lube because I didn't like the color. Yes I am guilty on the color thing.

GW.

Boolit Master

You know I got to ask--Why-- do we go nuts over lube color?
    I think that targetshootr said it best. A good contrasting color helps with visual quality control when inspecting the lubed boolits. I happen to like the red of Lars' Carnuaba Red. I wonder what he uses.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master

Look at it this way, if you make the lube Green, you can call your bullets "low envirnomental impact bullets"
    magenta= could be for night fire only lube
    I mean come on guys, open your eyes to the possiblities here.

Or simply, could be used to differenciate between two different lubes, or identify a lube you tweeked.

In Remembrance

I use liquid candle dye, RED.

Banned

I want enough color to light the bore so the boolit can see where it is going!

Boolit Grand Master
    Randyrat said it best. If I need to keep a couple of different lubes straight, what better way than to color code them. My Fabulous Frog Guano for Schuetzen use is colored an appropriately ugly shade of green , and now all I have to do is find a way to "color" my N-SSA batch of Emmett's Lube an appropriate Confederate Grey... or maybe it should be Union Blue for the targets! I have been using the little blocks of candle wax coloring that are sold at craft shops, and the only problem I have is predicting the amount the mix lightens as it cools and solidifies.

Froggie

PS Should this thread be down a couple of notches in the Bullet Lube section?? GF

Boolit Master
    There's a boolit lube section? I need to get out more.

Banned
    I moved it and left an expiring in one week re-direct so you can find your way back without breadcrumbs. I meant to move it when I posted above but got distracted.

I use color to identify a lube...the purdy colors are just an added side benefit. I made a clear batch of lube with micro wax ONE TIME....I could not see it on the boolits and it showed how well I did not clean my sizer...so I just added some color for visual and camoflage purposes.

Wish I could get some in camo.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    Wish I could get some in camo.
    That is an easy one to acheive. Just glob a bunch of small balls of different lubes together while solid and cram it in your sizer.

I bet a whole bunch of fellers here have had camo lube at one time or another...I know I have.....more than once, and for some time when it happened. I use old lyman 45 sizers and there is some space time continueum space hiding in there...no matter how well you think you have the lube cooked/boiled/solvented out.....a little streaking still shows back up David Copperfield fashion.