WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: case anealing

Beekeeper

case anealing

I have read several post about case anealing machines doing vast numbers of cases per hour.
    I wonder how many people here actually do that many cases and or need a machine to do their anealing?
    What does the average joe use when anealing maybe 100 cases a year?
    What procedure do you use?
    I do not have the space or use for an anealing machine but would like to hear how others do it.
    I simply hold the case in my fingers and dip it in my lead pot ,when it burns my fingers I drop it in cold water.

Jim

For low volumes of common brass I didn’t take the time to anneal before I had a machine as it was always easier to just pick up a box of new ammo from time to time and save the brass.

Your method doesn’t sound like it would ruin the brass but I am pretty strict about not having any water around molten lead.

I use a machine to anneal; however, most of the cases I anneal are for other shooters but it helps pay for my hobby.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Jim, my fingers don't take to being burned over 100 times when I am annealing my 45-70 cases. K Wassenburger sent me to Jim Terry in Wyoming to solve my problems. He makes a simple tool out of aluminum that holds the case while it is turned in a drill slowly. It sells for about $25 but makes it easy to anneal. His web site is Gentleman Jim Products.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    I use a 1/2" drive socket of the appropriate size for the case as a holder. Put the socket on a 6" extension to hold on to. Stick a case in the socket rotate in the torch flame and then drop the case onto a clean towel. I can do 100 45-70s lickity-toot.
    ph4570

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    The ppc benchrest crowd is a good source of annealing info, some of them use an alcohol lamp. and they heat the necks until the case gets too hot to hold.

Tempilaq is probably the best way IMHO...it is a compound applied to the neck that melts at a given temperature, I would even use it to set up an annealing machine I think, and run one thru with some on it now and then to ensure we were still "calibrated". You can buy tempilaq in different temp values, Brownells may have it ?

The "heat until you see red" method that has been out there for years is far too much annealing for SOME uses...such as J word bullets..........it may be perfect for some cast bullet purposes.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    ... He makes a simple tool out of aluminum that holds the case while it is turned in a drill slowly...
    I'm with you on "my fingers don't take to being burned over 100 times" and the above portion of your post got me thinkin' (dangerous, I know ).
    I just trimmed a little over 200 '06 cases, using the Lee case length trimmer and my cordless drill. I think I'll try using the shell holder portion, along with the cordless drill, the next time I need to anneal a bunch of cases. That probably won't be anytime soon, but if someone else decides to try it this way, please report back!

Take care!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Grand Master
    This is how I do it. Still looking for a lower RPM motor

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...3&postcount=11

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Also some of the ppc boys hold the cases with a lee case trimmer holder, and spin them with a power screwdriver.
    Both ends WHAT a player

This is how I do mine. Rcbs trim mate with cleaning rod and primer pocket uniformers. Cleaning rod keeps the heat away from the trim mate. I heat in a dark room with a propane torch til I can see the outside silver color change (light orange in the inside of the case). Then into a bucket of water. 30-06 used for image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tman.JPG  
    Last edited by Faret; 01-08-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: added pic

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    This is how I do it. Still looking for a lower RPM motor

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...3&postcount=11

Shiloh
    My annealing setup works like yours only I use an old turn table
    record player, I use a #3 coffee can shortened to 1/2 its hight and
    have gluded a 1/2 ID flat washer in the center, place case in washer, heat until I see the neck start to turn red(not Cheery red)
    then tip case over into the water.
    I anneal 25 06 cases at a time before I replace the water.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been annealing like Shiloh for many years, usually after 4-6 firings. I size and deprime befor sitting in water. Do maybe 100-150 a year and never had a problem with either jacketed or cast loadings.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

In Remembrance

I tried to do twenty .223 brass that I rotated with a cordless screw driver and heated with a propane torch. I dropped them into a pan of water just as the neck and shoulder area started to turn orange and after they had dried they looked good, just like factory treated brass. Wrong, at least 14 of them wouldn't feed from the mag into my AR after I full length sized and loaded them.

If you let the shoulder get red, or if you did it in a bright room, you went to long. I do it in a very dim room and just let the mouth turn orange before quenching. At least thats my exp..

This is a good read http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

The Templaqi is the way to make sure you are at the right temp. If they are glowing they are hotter than you need to anneal. You can get a pretty good idea from the flame color you don't want it to turn orange or you've gone too far.

Boolit Master
    Beekeeper
    Your method works to good to mess with. It only takes one case to figure out how long to hold it in the lead until it's too hot to hold. After that wear gloves and count 1thousand,2thousand,3thousand etc. and drop it in the water.
    You can control the lead temp and how long and deep you hold it in the lead to make very even annealing. But be warned ,it is very easy and doesn't require fancy turning things and tourches and such. If your cases are very clean you may have to dip the neck in graphite to prevent lead sticking to the neck.

I set them in a metal cake pan filled with water so that it comes about 1/2 way up the case. I then put all my brass in, and then use a small propane tortc and put the flame on each one till it glows, then I tip it over in the water.

I have been using the lee case trim holder and cordless drill for a long time. I have done a lot of trial and error,and what works for me is a dark room, and a torch that has a really hot, small pencil flame. I also put my finger on the base of the case as its spinning. This wont let you get the base too hot. Trick is to get the neck up to temp fast enough to do the work before the base gets too hot. You dont want to get the neck red hot, you are just looking for a color change. Easy to see when the room is darker. I then stick the end of the case in some water to stop the advance of the heat.
    I have some 72 Lake City .308 Match cases that have close to 40 cycles on them with no signs of neck problems. Bob

In Remembrance

I use an adaptor for 3/8 drive sockets in my cordless drill and choose a deep socket that just holds the case loosely. I spin the case slowly and dump it into water. With a propane torch turned to a high setting it only takes about 5 seconds (guessing) to heat the neck enough. Then just drop in the next case, hold at a slightly upward angle, and move the spinning case into the flame. Dark room and just heat to the slightest hint of red.

Boolit Buddy
    Any suggestions on a good torch/tip combination for annealing?
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

In Remembrance
    Shiny clean cases show colors best, and 'blue' is the color to look for.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast