Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2PBcastco
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I like old presses

I like old presses

As those who know me are aware, I am a fan of quality old reloading presses that can be bought pretty cheap and will still give a lifetime of service. Here are mine.

1. A 50's Herters U-3, that after the shell holders and primers arms were sold, an RCBS shell holder adapter added, cost me a total of $1.00 including postage.

2. A 50's RCBS A2, the finest single stage press ever made

3. A 50's Pacific Super C. It cost me $20.00 off Ebay and came without a handle. I turned a new handle from a piece of 1917 Enfield barrel.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 08-13-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Nice collection. I've got a Redding turret press like your's on my bench. I couldn't live without it.

Boolit Master
    Have an old Herters Press from my Dad i guess 1962 vintage. I use a turret press now. Cant get rid of it. It has sentimental value My Dad has been gone 23 yrs. Three months before his first grandson was born.

Boolit Master

I like the old ones too. I have a C-H 111, Herters Model 9, Star Universal, one of the early Lyman orange crushers ( not really old but nolonger made), rcbs jr, 3 belding and mull Model 28 improved straight lines, a couple of truline jrs, and a few others. Some newer also.

I would like to find an all american or hollywood, but neither of htose is cheap these days.

That A2 is a monster of a press.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one very similar the black one in the bottom photo. I got it from my father-in-law's basement. Old primers and powders as well.

The Pacific press has a shell holder type of arrangement that precludes the use of standard shell holders. I really need to see how much of it is in the several boxes of stuff I got from him.

Nice collection

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I have the old Lyman Spartan single stage press my Dad got in the 60s when he started reloading. I still remember going to the sporting goods store when I was early grade school when he picked it up. Great old press, it is.

Boolit Master
    "2. A 50's RCBS A2, the finest single stage press ever made"

It's good but the current Redding Ultra Mag may want to challenge that appraisal.

Shiloh... The later Pacific Super C's had a shell holder ram that used the interchangable RCBS heads. My press has been retrofited with one. They are still out there on EBay and other places.

Boolit Buddy
    I really enjoy my older Lyman All American turret.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

Boolit Buddy
    I load on a Pacific Multi Power that my brother in law's dad probably made when he worked there, back in the day. Tons of old Pacific stuff in these parts.
    I also use a Herters Super 234 turret press.....mainly because it's the finest, most precice, unbeatable quality, super duper, superlative, and so on and so forth.....

Love the old Herters Advertising!!

Andy

Boolit Buddy
    I love the old presses. First picture - Hollywood and 3 hole Texan. Also Meepos sizer/lubricator.
    Second picture - Dunbar, CC Johnson, W Fuller, and Redding. The Star sizer is from the 60's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0309.jpg   Bench2.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I too have a Spartan from the mid-60s. In addition to the untold thousands of pistol rounds loaded on it, I've done a lot of FL bottleneck case sizing and even some case forming on it. I was amazed how much easier the FL rifle case sizing was when I finally bought a used Rockchucker from a friend several years ago. The rockchucker bolts to my workbench in the garage. I usually do the rifle case sizing in the garage and bring the cases in the den for bullet seating with the Spartan; neck sizing is also done with it. I'm convinced the Spartan will outlast me.

Boolit Master

Bought out a guys basement of all his reloading gear. There was a Lyman Spartan C frame that I sold a few days later. I have regretted it ever since. The thing was nice and stout! The linkage was all case hardened. Cleaned up real nice too.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice Bench .30/30Guy!!

Way to clean to be my area. I could sure use more space to store stuff.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I just recently got an old RCBS A2. After having an old Rockchucker for the last 40 years I feel a little bad walking into the reloading room and seeing the old RC looking at me from the floor. Probably just me but that old RC and I go way back. Sniff..sniff.
    BUT as a practical man I have to say the A2 is a stouter press and it out weighs the RC too. The RC is 16.5 lbs, while the A2 is 21.5 lbs. I was FL sizing some 500 S&W mags and when compared side by side the A2 definately has the mechanical advantage. So I have to say the A2 is a good addition to my reloading room. The RC will have to stay around...just because.

Banned
    My reloading career began at age 17 with a 310 tool.
    While it worked OK it was slow so I quickly upgraded to a Tru-Line Jr. That remained my press for 30 years. I really wanted an All American but the cost was a bit much for my limited income at the time.
    I was given a Herter’s U-3 one day and was hooked. Locating a Herter’s catalog I just knew I needed some of those tools described. But, it was 1988 and where would ever find them?
    I found a Redhead at an antique show, there were two on the table and I only bought one, dumb me. I figured it used 310 dies so I could use it. Never thought about shell holders. Fortunately for me a previous owner had reamed the carrier to 9/16” for Lyman J shell holders.
    One thing led to another and soon a Herter’s 234 Turret press followed me home then came the Pacific Super Tool and a RCBS 2A. Pretty soon I had enough presses that I could leave one set up for each caliber. That’s two presses for sizing and seating rifle cases!
    Today there are just shy of 150 presses and hand reloading tools in my room. The latest addition is a seldom seen Multiplex press that arrived Christmas eve, nice present.
    Ken

Boolit Grand Master
    You mean they have made loading presses since the Tru-Line Jr and RedHead??

Froggie

PS Pressman, I believe I mentioned to you previously that I had made a shell holder for my Maynard 1873 Model... it's not hard if you have an original to go by.
    Last edited by Green Frog; 01-09-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Froggie;
    You're BAD-D-D!!

Dale53

Banned
    I see you do the herters #3 like I do,. just can't get rid of it.
    I have the rcbs adapter and use it to work some wildcats

Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    As those who know me are aware, I am a fan of quality old reloading presses that can be bought pretty cheap and will still give a lifetime of service. Here are mine.

1. A 50's Herters U-3, that after the shell holders and primers arms were sold, an RCBS shell holder adapter added, cost me a total of $1.00 including postage.

2. A 50's RCBS A2, the finest single stage press ever made

3. A 50's Pacific Super C. It cost me $20.00 off Ebay and came without a handle. I turned a new handle from a piece of 1917 Enfield barrel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by .30/30 Guy View Post
    I love the old presses. First picture - Hollywood and 3 hole Texan. Also Meepos sizer/lubricator.
    Second picture - Dunbar, CC Johnson, W Fuller, and Redding. The Star sizer is from the 60's.
    .30/30- Do you know what kind of powder measure that is in the center of the bench? I have one just like it but don't know anyting about it.

David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast