RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 PBcastco

Thread: Help on reloading 357 mag

Help on reloading 357 mag

I'm having a hard time with my reloaded 357's. The case measures 374 but where the bullet is seated it is measuring 379 a factory load is 374 from top to bottom as far as I can tell. This bulge is big enough to cause problems in my lever action. Factory loads chamber smoothly. I have reloaded some 120 grains 158 grains and 180 grains and they all bulge. My reloading dyes are the pacific brand, from back in the early 60's. I did resize the bullets with a carbide sizer. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong or how to get rid of the bulge. Would the Lee factory crimp help. Or do I need to get a new set of dyes. the boollits were sized to 358 and the cases are winchester nickel plated
    Thanks for your help bushwack
    Last edited by bushwack; 03-19-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    Try some brass cases before you do anything else. Report back.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm running .3595 boolits through my Marlin lever gun and no problems with any kind of brass.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

Boolit Master

How hard a roll crimp are you useing, you can over crimp & cause problems .

Post a pic of a loaded round that gives trouble.
    GP100man

Boolit Buddy
    +1 for sundog.

Try several different manufactures of brass. Manufactures will have different wall thickness.

I use both nickel plated and brass, and have found no difference with them. I do a taper crimp, because I was using them in a Desert Eagle... I recently sold it and acquired a Winchester model 94 in 357 mag... and it shoots them fine.
    I would look at your roll crimp.
    Try seating just shy of the roll crimp (back out the die just a little) and see if that chambers, or, if you have a cartridge gauge see if it fits.

Sundog, you was right I checked the wall thickness,nickel plated is .011, brass is .008. Reloaded some brass it looks good, thanks for everyones help. Bushwack

That's strange. I can't count how many nickel plated brass I've loaded for the 38/357 and never seen such an issue. I would agree that perhaps a roll crimp issue might be the culprit but it might also be an oversized expander ball. This has been a problem on one set of RCBS dies I had and once I got it fixed all was well.

Boolit Master
    Of all the cartridges I load and have loaded for from the .204 through the .416 Rigby in rifle and .38 Special through the .475 in handgun including two different auto cartridges, I must say the .357 has been the most difficult to get to run right and accurate. I've finally settled on nothing but gas checked boolits, and brass brass and have developed a good, hard hitting load, but not without a lot more grief than the .41,.44, .45's etc.
    Maybe it's just me
    Now the .38 special is some difference, never had much difficulty in that, to tell the truth my two .357's currently (a New Vaquero and a GP 100) I'd prefer if they were chambered in the .38 special, don't believe I would give up much at all.

I haven't had any problems with 357 or 38.. I have reloaded lots of the nickel plate brass without any issues..
    It does stand to reason though.. any plating will add wall thickness..