Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Shot my chrony today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Bub

I like my Oehler 35P, the only way to shoot it would be an ND on the bench.
    M.O.P.H.--D.A.V.-- N.R.A.-- Life Member

Boolit Master

My older "green" Chrony died from a .44 cal gunshot wound years ago.

Now I have a "red" Chrony and a Pact 1.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Ya'll should read the firearm safety rules... clearly states:
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!
    By the way, I found out that a .22 pellet makes a nice dent in a chrony... fortunately without any other effect.

Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    Haven't killed mine .... yet. But I wounded it a couple years ago. Hit one of the screen rods with a "nice" 45-70 load. As best I can tell, it is still in low earth orbit, as I never did find it.....and I got a big back yard ......
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Man

Replaced my old Chrony yesterday with a Caldwell Premium. Looking forward to Chrony hunting!
    USAF Retired: SAC Trained Warrior
    "Fighting for my 2nd Amendment Rights"
    WWG1WGA
    Where is Durham and McAfee? Asking for a friend…..

Vendor Sponsor

Curelty To Chronys Anonymous!

I'm starting a group for the prevention of cruelty to chronys! CTC Anonymous!

When you feel like you may slip and make that fateful shot, box the chrony up and send it to me, I will even email you a prepaid shipping label, don't subject your chrony to the pain, and yourself to the embarrassment of shooting it!

I need a decent chrony, and let's face it, for you to send it this way will at least give one of us the pleasure of using it for an extended period, damage free, because once it's shot, it does neither of us any good!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    Did better than I did, just clipped the case with a 45ACP. A little work with pliers and some electrical tape, almost as good as new.
    Last edited by walkingjay; 06-22-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spielling

Boolit Man
    I've seen a "blast screen" work well, made out of a hunk of cardboard, with 1 x2' wood frame, about an 8" hole thru it for the bullets. It prevents having the chrony 'read" the gas velocity, instead of catching the actual bullet speed.

Perm-Banned
    haveing just bought a new chronograph and haveing just read what happened to you i really am sorry for what happened to yours. i would have cried real tears and not have been ashamed of it. i blew apart a expensive swageing die and also ringed a barrel once and am not afraid to say their was real tears both times. i was really poor when i was young and i havent lost the concern for money lost because of me. thanks for shareing that with us, its a good man who can admit something like that. your a good man.

I just joined the club today. Boy that stunk!
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

I shot my chrony today, not the best of conditions; no rest, and no tripod. Twice. I laid the chroney on the bench and had to squat down at an unnatural position. Somewhere between round two hundred and three hundred.

My wife shot the first 100 rounds of .45 ACP to practice for her department qualifications next weekend, but since she is shorter, she could just stand there and shoot through the screens with ease. I am kind of surprised by the velocity spread, but that's another story.

I was getting the velocity on a bunch of .357 Sig cartridges I loaded, going up 0.1 grains at a time, in groups of 20. I barely got any signs of high pressure in the casings, but the over max load cartridges spit a lot of fire and shot unburned Blue Dot twenty feet downrange. I only got 1734 ft/sec out of 95gr Hornady XTPs with a 6" barrel.

The chroney was pointing slightly down in the front, and I wound up hitting the rear skyscreen and bending the diffuser rod a little. It displayed the dreaded ERR 9 message. I got lucky for two reasons: 1) because it still works, even after two hits to nearly the same area. It won't fit back in the box until I go back over it with a hammer. 2) because the wife was tired and cold from shooting, she went back to the house and missed the carnage. I'm not telling her.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chroney down.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	133325

Note to self: if I can't set it up properly, don't use it.
    Last edited by gunbunny; 03-09-2015 at 12:44 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Grrr... been there... done that... with a 220grSMK out of my 300AAC AR.. guess I didn't quite compensate enough for the height above bore of the scope... She was at a very slight angle, so it was a grazing wound, til it made it to the rear screen, then things went really bad.. pieces everywhere! lol

At least I have a spare pair of skyscreens now in case I take one of them out..

Boolit Buddy

AR15 is the preferred weapon for Chrony hunting. I nicked mine one time, no major damage. It lived to forage again. We should start a thread for dead Chrony pics.

Or better yet, my father always taught me that I wasn't allowed to shoot anything that I wouldn't eat. SO.....maybe we need some Chrony recipes.
    Last edited by flyingrhino; 03-09-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Boy, it sure makes ya' wonder how some folks pass the Hunter Safety Course.

...I'm kidding.

Now watch, I'll shoot mine tomorrow and look like a real dumb-a$$.
    My hunter safety course didn't cover Chrony's. I got gipped.

Boolit Man
    Killed my 25 yr. old Protach with my new AR the other day. Wasn't workin' good anyway. Maybe the bullet read my mind.

Boolit Man
    I loaned one to a friend and he called a few days later to let me know he killed my F1 with the 1st shot, right in the middle of the readout screen. Was a humane shot for sure.

Being a good guy he already had my new replacement in hand before making the call.

Boolit Master
    Gues I will have to try the wooden uprights, 1st one I clipped just took off the diffuser. 2nd one knocked the back sensor out of the housing. Somebody there shooting said something along the lines of your not a very good shot. But guess its a very common thing if people go to all the effort to make armor for them. Didnt know about GC hitting them, will have to come up with some sort of shield.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Gues I will have to try the wooden uprights, 1st one I clipped just took off the diffuser. 2nd one knocked the back sensor out of the housing. Somebody there shooting said something along the lines of your not a very good shot. But guess its a very common thing if people go to all the effort to make armor for them. Didnt know about GC hitting them, will have to come up with some sort of shield.
    I would have countered with "I meant to do that. Let me see you hit a steel rod that skinny".

Boolit Master

For my uprights, I use plastic soda straws !!!
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Bub
    Another "thread from the dead". Oh well, I might as well admit I "grazed" mine with a 30-30 a few weeks ago. Took a lickin, kept on tickin!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast