RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Shot my chrony today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gave up on mine. As long as my hand loads go bang and are pretty accurate I don't care how fast they are.

Bob T

Boolit Mold
    I had ordered a Competition Electronics Chronograph as was very unimpressed with the unit. It was cheaply made, I had to pay an extra $50 for a cheap wire and software to connect it to my computer (that I would have had to take out the the range with me), and also picked up one of there shot timers that was the size of a small VCR and the quality of a cheap McDonald's toy.
    I packed everything back up and mailed it back for a refund and ordered a CED M2 (after reading reviews on this website) and one of the CED 8000 shot timers.
    The quality of the construction is much better. I'm not shooting at the brain unit. The distance between the screens is further apart then other chronographs that I've seen and feels solidly built. It came with software to download shot info into my computer (don't have to lug my laptop to the range) and connects with a USB cable.
    I'm very happy with the purchase and glad I looked at this website.
    Last edited by AZAKMS; 05-07-2014 at 01:22 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Reading these posts makes me laugh because I think everyone has smoked a chrony at some time in their life. Years ago I smoked my chrony with a 50 cal. m-33 ball and I wish I had a camera to have taken a picture. Now the brain box is on the shooting table with my current chrony.

Boolit Master
    I haven't shot my chrony yet. But I was shooting off of a rolled up sleeping bag with 20" 223 and barrel got just a tad too far back. Muzzle blast ripped a 2" gash and sent feathers flying. Nice powder burn too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FLYCUTTER View Post
    Reading these posts makes me laugh because I think everyone has smoked a chrony at some time in their life.

Nope, dinked the diffuser support rods a time or two so I quit using them......stand by for pics.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I hit mine once with a gas check and it looked as though i hit it with a golf club. It was days before i figured out what hit it since the muzzle wasn't pointed anywhere close to the screen supports.

Boolit Buddy
    I had just got my first Garand and was checking loads with a friends chrony, another friend (Garand Guru) was overseeing the circus letting me know where he thought the speed should be for best accuracy.

I take a shot and the speed was way off from where it should be, shoot again and the numbers are completely off again nowhere close to the first shot, Guru tells me that he believes I'm aiming too high to get a reading, shoot lower he says.

I shoot again and still no go, lower more he says, I shoot and see the chrony do a wobble, we go take a look and there is this troth along the top where the bullet grazed it.

Turns out the chrony was set up too close and the readings were from the blast, we moved it further away and I also put a 2" strip of masking tape on the uprights just in case I got a little close again, my friend called it a battle wound.

Moving it away did the trick and the readings went where they were supposed to.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Moderator Emeritus

That is why I replaced my diffuser rods with wooden dowels. Shot a few of them but at least chrono is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    That is why I replaced my diffuser rods with wooden dowels. Shot a few of them but at least chrono is still good.
    Bamboo skewers is why I still have a working chrony. I haven't hit the chrony with a boolit (I know I will one day) but sabots and shotgun gas seals have broken a bunch of the skewers.

BB

Boolit Master

Attachment 104411

Joined the club today !! Gas check from a 44 did the trick. It was a Hornaday gas check no less.
    Had the old Croney since 1993 and have fired thousands and thousands of rounds over it with out a hitch so guess it really doesn't owe me anything .
    Facta non verba

Boolit Grand Master

I'm beginning to like the idea of a plexiglass shield to protect against gas checks.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I shot the rod on the 2nd shot. But I haven't hit a unit.....yet.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Killed mine on the 2nd trip out , but it sounds like 30.00 will revive it.

Boolit Master
    "I shot the Chrony , but I did not shoot the deputy" Apoligies to Bob Marly. Muzzle blast got mine years ago.

Boolit Master
    I built a box to hold my chrony....just simple aspenite sheathing with a double layer of 1/8" lexan in front to protect from gas checks, sabots, and shotgun wads. So far so good....Oh yeah, wooden shooting guides.

Boolit Bub

My friend had been trying to get me to go shooting with him along time, everything was going good till he brawt out his chrony, I shot first and took out the 2 rods on the left side, he decided it should still work with no rods or sun shield in place and proceeded to let it have it rite dead center of the screen at 5 paces with his 454.
    Last edited by foxhole; 05-26-2014 at 10:37 PM.
    _ROGER THAT_

Boolit Buddy

I'm beginning to feel really left out of the club here. I've been shooting for over 50 years, and I've never killed a chronograph, or even wounded one.

I guess I'll have to go out and buy one one of these days just so I can join in the fun.

Boolit Master

I use soda straws to hold the sun shield
    Easy to shoot through, easy to replace
    I DO have the T-Shirt
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

I once borrowed one and caught the edge of the left front rod with the first shot. No harm done after taking out the slight bend. That taught me to get my own. So far (13yr) i've kept mine intact.
    The next shot may be the one, but (knock on wooden head) I take lots of pains to avoid it.

Boolit Bub
    Slide over and make room on the bench.
    Joined the club yesterday.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast