Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Shot my chrony today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My turn......

****ATTENTION MODS......WE NEED A DEAD CHRONO STICKY!!!!!****

Sign me up for the "I Killed My Chrony" club......

I was checking out velocities of some .45 Colt shotshells when my unit expired.

You can see in the pics where the impacts were. A total of four #7.5 lead pellets hit the front panel. Two of them skipped over the top without doing too much damage (I think...).

The last two hit right in the guts of the thing. One punched through the LCD display and the other smacked dead on the IC chip beside the LCD.

It wasn't spectacular.....but it's still dead.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1170011.jpg   P1170012.jpg   P1170013.jpg   P1170014.jpg  
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Gun-adian View Post
    ****ATTENTION MODS......WE NEED A DEAD CHRONO STICKY!!!!!****

Sign me up for the "I Killed My Chrony" club......

I was checking out velocities of some .45 Colt shotshells when my unit expired.

You can see in the pics where the impacts were. A total of four #7.5 lead pellets hit the front panel. Two of them skipped over the top without doing too much damage (I think...).

The last two hit right in the guts of the thing. One punched through the LCD display and the other smacked dead on the IC chip beside the LCD.

It wasn't spectacular.....but it's still dead.

Mike

My condolences. Welcome to the Chrony killers club. HEHEHEHE

Bob T

Boolit Master

And here I thought I was the only one! I guess it's not such an exclusive club after all.

My first one from the early '90s was wounded by a 12ga wad, survived with just the replacement of the digital readout screen. It finally met it's doom when it jumped up into the path of a speeding 173gr. .30 caliber bullet. I still suspect suicide.

It's replacement, here, was unscathed until a couple weeks ago. A friend wanted to shoot his .17HMR across it. I had him aim high out of caution but it just wouldn't pick up those itty-bitty bullets. He aimed a little lower...

He felt real bad and wanted to pay for a new one, but it still works fine so I told him not to worry about it.

It has some character now, and it's wound will remind me every time I use it to be a little more careful.
    Last edited by fatelk; 11-04-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm really enjoying this thread.
    Since we spend hundreds of $$ on guns and some more on reloading tools then add to that consumables like powder and primers, a wounded/killed chronograph is just part of it.
    So far not a scratch on mine but I really worry about it. I guess I should just be careful and not worry cause sooner or later it is bound to happen.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Bub
    I feel a lot better now. I used a .45-70 on mine. Stopped in in it's tracks with one shot to the brain. Didn't eat it though. Too tough to chew. My aim is improving.

Got my replacement Chrony today. It doesn't want to come out of the box? The word must be out that I am a Chrony killer!!!

Bob t

Moderator Emeritus

I killed mine awhile back too. One .458 boolit right through the heart. I couldn't have hit the damned thing any more dead center if I had wanted to.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master

There I was having a fine day shooting my Ruger RH .44 Mag with some developmental loads and I was almost there.

I had brought my press to the range and I was upping the powder charge gradually and trying to find the best accuracy.

I was really into it and was very focused on what I was doing. Only this time I had forgotten to slip down the ear muffs over my ears and I had the sights lined up on the target and had just place my finger on the trigger.....

When a new shooter, unnoticed by me, fired off his rifle. My world came unglued and I flinched and yanked the trigger. The round caught the steel rod and put a perfect bend in it but did no other damage. I looked to my left and there was a Couch Commando with his total camo outfit and a .50 Barrett. No sooner than I looked when another missile was launched and I had a close up view of gas and flames spewing from that huge muzzle brake and causing dust to fly up from the ground and paint to fall from the overhead. The sound was beyond belief and it hurt my head.

I rapidly got up and stepped back as far as I could, brought down the ear muffs and watched again as this cannon was fired again.

This guy did not even bring a target. He brought only 5 rounds and fired at the berm and left without a word.

I had ringing in the ears for a few days but I wonder how much permanent hearing loss I got from only two shots. The muzzle blast from that thing felt 15 feet to the side and rear is awsome.

My poor Chrony is still moving along with a bent rod but is still going it's job even though it is over 10 years old.

A more thoughful shooter would have at least given me some type of warning but he was having so much fun I doubt he even gave me a glance before he rode off in his camo humvee.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Amazing.....I wonder how many of these "shooter errors" Chrony fixes in a year? Quite a few looks like....

Yesterday I was at the range when the guy 2 benches down FIXED his with a 45acp. I guess that why they sell them by the gross.

Boolit Buddy
    Probably shot it out of season ta' boot.

Boolit Master

I think we should market chrony Band Aids, instead of little stars on them
    we could have Dumb A$$ go across the little gauze thing.
    The guys at the repair place would laugh there A$$e$ off. But they probably do as it is.
    I know we could have special GRIM REAPER rounds for shooting across the chrony's.
    Anyway this thread is bustin my sides.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    I start to wonder if sometimes the shooter sub consciously actually aims at the chrono?
    You know, one of those brain fart days. I mean like , it is kinda there in your face closer than the other target.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    I start to wonder if sometimes the shooter sub consciously actually aims at the chrono?
    You know, one of those brain fart days. I mean like , it is kinda there in your face closer than the other target.
    Nah that couldn't happen.

Bob T
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 010.jpg  

You ain't the only one who can do that!!

It is not funny but it is. I still can't believe I did it. I have the replacement but I am affraid to use it.

Bob T

Well that will teach them to try and attack an armed person?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 011.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    I have not yet shot the sensors on my PACT but I have shot the arms holding the skyscreens on several occasions! Twice in one day! I used to get upset over it...now I just try to laugh it off. This is a reminder for me to order new skyscreens.
    EG
    Be the bullet...

Cast Hunter

I never would have thought so many chronographs have died such an untimely death. You guys are killing me! The closest I've come is nicking the cardboard screens that came on the ooold model chrony.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rwt101 View Post
    When I get my replacement I am going to find a way to put the rods at a different location also. As was mentioned here , if you hit one it will take out the sensor.
    Bob T
    I became a member of the dead chrony club earlier this year and just got my replacement back...but quess what, had to send it right back because of high readings. Waiting for the fix to come back....soon I hope. It seems they only pickup or ship on Wednesdays.

I use mixed drink straws putting one inside the other. Fit really nice in the holes for the rods and obviously will not hurt the chrony if you hit one.
    Last edited by pt4u2nv; 02-03-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Boy, it sure makes ya' wonder how some folks pass the Hunter Safety Course.

...I'm kidding.

Now watch, I'll shoot mine tomorrow and look like a real dumb-a$$.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast