Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cap and Ball question

I've seen an out of the box Pietta hit playing cards at that distance.

I've never used 2F in a pistol before. I would expect that it would burn a little dirty.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    i have used 2f in my pistols when i ran out of 3f.

Boolit Master

That is what lube instead of candle wax is for. Keeps the fouling soft.

Never tried FF. Always used Pyrodex P in my revolvers and really like it.
    Crisco or Bore Butter, or whatever can get really messy after a few cylinders-full. Never tried wax; seems like it would leave a hell of a mess in the rifling. I bought some Wonder Wads but have not tried them out yet. I'm becoming intrigued with the idea of rolling paper patch cartridges for my pistols; I'm told the paper serves as the wad or grease to prevent chainfires.
    The guys have the gun pegged right; 1858 Remington brass frame Confederate replica. Best of luck shooting!

I've also had good luck with Pyrodex P. Some guys swear by holy black & curse the synthetic stuff, but I've had no trouble with it. I've never had a single misfire & accuracy has been great.

Besides, it's easy to remember which type of Pyrodex to use - P for pistol, RS for rifle & shotgun.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    2F will work but give you lower velocity and more fouling. In Phoenix anything will melt in the summer. I was down that way a few years ago for a BPCR match and had to keep my ammo litteraly on ice before I shot it or the lube would melt. As for the confederates making remingtons of any sort it did not happen. They made some colt navy copies some with iron and some with brass frames as well as some brass frame copies of the Whitney Navy revolver. The Dace Brothers made some copies of the colts dragoon model in Texas and there was at least one original design shooting reloadable self contained cartridges. They also made derringers and other single shot pistols to some extent but not for the army except really very early in the war.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSS View Post
    2F will work but give you lower velocity and more fouling. In Phoenix anything will melt in the summer. I was down that way a few years ago for a BPCR match and had to keep my ammo litteraly on ice before I shot it or the lube would melt. As for the confederates making remingtons of any sort it did not happen. They made some colt navy copies some with iron and some with brass frames as well as some brass frame copies of the Whitney Navy revolver. The Dace Brothers made some copies of the colts dragoon model in Texas and there was at least one original design shooting reloadable self contained cartridges. They also made derringers and other single shot pistols to some extent but not for the army except really very early in the war.
    Clarification; I wasn't inplying the Confeds made the Remington reps, only that many of the imports are tagged as such "being that the Rebs were short on steel, thus used brass in place of steel for the non-stressed parts".....or words to that effect.
    Mostly, the Rebs used whatever they could get their hands on, usually taken from a dead Union soldier when supplies got short due to the blockades.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12