WidenersRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 35 Rem Small Ring Mauser

I have a question for all you mauser experts. I just purchased an Argentine 1891 and an 1895. The 1895 has a pitted bore and I am wondering if I can convert either rifle to a 35 Rem. I would also like to know if they are sm or large ring? I believe they are in 7.65x53mm but are not marked. I was told they were 7X57 but that is not the case.
    Last edited by hicard; 02-15-2013 at 12:33 PM.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Banned
    Both are small ring. The 1891 (7.65X53)is a small ring with a slightly longer threaded shank, the 95 is a normal shanked small ring...no biggie to put any small ring barrel on the 91 or the 95 for the qualified. I have a 35REM sporter on an 1891 ...you are gonna like it. Either the 95 or the 91 action would make a nice 35REM, but that 91 is ooh.... so slick.

The 7.65X53 is a great caliber in it's own right on that 91 action too...you have some decisions to make. The 1895 is most likely 7X57...or 8x57.

Thanks for the info 357 Maximum. I just got off the phone with my gunsmith who gave me the same info. What puzzles me is that the 1895 has a larger bore sthan the 7mm bullet as it slips right in. I guess I will have to shoot it with some 7X57's and see how they shoot.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Banned
    If you are checking the bore at the muzzle it could simply be cleaning rod wear....quite normal for these guns...it also quite normal for the bores/throats/chambers to be quite generous too. The 1891's can be quite big in all the same areas also. My second 1891 in 7.65X53 would almost accept an 8mm bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by hicard View Post
    Thanks for the info 357 Maximum. I just got off the phone with my gunsmith who gave me the same info. What puzzles me is that the 1895 has a larger bore sthan the 7mm bullet as it slips right in. I guess I will have to shoot it with some 7X57's and see how they shoot.
    May have a counter bore. some imports had this done. Had one that a 30cal bullet would drop in at the muzzle for the first inch. Still it was a 7x57. this was a old model 95

Boolit Master
    Yup, shoot them first. If you then want to change midway or er shaw would be my next move. I would get a 35 case and check how much meat is on the extracter yet to make sure it will grap the smaller case. You can get a new extracter which is not that big of a deal if you can change it yourself.
    Look twice, shoot once.

I have an Argentine 1909 in 7.65 and it is a wonderful gun. More or less an old version of a 308. You can make the brass from 8mm Mauser or 30'06 if you can't run across the real stuff. If I had the two rifles you have I would really consider keeping the 91 in 7.65 and going for the 35 rem in the 95.

FWIW, I am still looking for a decent SR receiver. I have an old Spanish 1916, but it is somewhat setback. It is also a super shooter in 7x57, though I don't shoot it much. Anyone have a 93 or 95 that wants to shuck it let me know.

Bill

Boolit Master
    I am just now finishing up a small ring 98 converted to 7.62x39.

Boolit Master
    Can someone say how to make a 95 or 98 mauser feed smaller diameter cartridges out of the magazine?
    How do you make the mauser feed 7.62x39, or, 35rem, or other small diameter brass.?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    Can someone say how to make a 95 or 98 mauser feed smaller diameter cartridges out of the magazine?
    How do you make the mauser feed 7.62x39, or, 35rem, or other small diameter brass.?
    You need to narrow the opening at the top of the mag/bottom of the receiver, and maybe change the angle a bit.

Use a welder to add to the rails, file smooth and then file little by little until it feeds dummies.

Since it is a shorter cartridge you might also need to block the back of the mag and shorten the follower.

-HF
    Last edited by HangFireW8; 01-02-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Super Moderator

.............I have 2 altered small ring conversions I did. One was to 35 Rem and the other was 7.62x39.

The above is the 7.62x39 conversion. At one time GPC offered a kit, which included a chambered barrel, a short follower & spring, and a nylon block to shorten the space in the rifle's magazine. The barrel was perfection. The mag follower was plastic (Probably from an AK magazine) with a funky long aspect coil spring. No issue with the nylon insert other then I had to drill a hole through the rear mag wall. Then run a short wood screw through it into the block to keep it from moving forward, due to recoil.

I finally ditched the plastic follower and modified a steel one. One issue with the mag blocker (and the short cartridge) is that you have to drag the empty case all the way back to the issue ejector. On occasion, due to being dragged back over the next round, the empty would fall off the bolt face to lay atop the next round in the mag. In picture 3 you can see the longer finger I welded to the ejector. The yellow piece atop the follower is a piece of brass I soldered in place, and then modified to take up the room of the smaller case OD. Didn't have to do anything to the claw of the extractor.

The above is the 35 Rem conversion. Both actions were 1894 Brazilian contract models made by FN. Notice that neither action has the thumb cut in the left sidewall. The 35 Rem required no mods to the ejector, extractor, the follower, or the action frame rails.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Buckshot, I love seeing your sporters. I'm currently building a 1926 vintage Oviedo 30-30 Win. Is it ok for me to pick your brain when problems arise? Surely you've done one? I'm glad to hear that x39 barrel is good because that's what I'm using. Best, Thomas.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Buckshot, I love seeing your sporters. I'm currently building a 1926 vintage Oviedo 30-30 Win. Is it ok for me to pick your brain when problems arise? Surely you've done one? I'm glad to hear that x39 barrel is good because that's what I'm using. Best, Thomas.
    ..............Nope, haven't done a Mauser to 30-30 . However you'd be welcome to ask, not that I'd be able to help out. But who knows?

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456