WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Know How To Turn A Tire Inside-Out?

Anybody Know How To Turn A Tire Inside-Out?

Back when I was a kid 50 years ago I used to see gigantic flower pots on street corners made out of old car tires that were turned inside out.

I tried it using 3/8" trucker's chains, my 30-ton log splitter, and my Cat D4D bulldozer to try pulling the bead through the rim hole, but couldn't get them to roll inside out.

Anybody know how on earth it is done?

rl697
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Grand Master

You take a tire mounted onto a rim. Cut the sidewall about half way from the bead to the tread. Grab the portion of the cut you just made and pull it toward the uncut side of the tire/rim assy.

Usually the rim portion is buried into the ground leaving the tire portion exposed.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned

It has Been Outsourced

Americans dont do that anymore. Just send your old Tires to these guys and they will take care of it for you.

"Abdul the Shoemaker"shows an apprentice lad named Shami the art of crafting quality footwear from discarded American Infidel Automobile Tyres.
    These fasionable qundara flooys will be sold under the Jazmah Brand Lable at finer Souoks everywhere.

Last edited by WickedGoodOutdoors; 01-02-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Boolit Master

WickedGood that is FUNNY! I would think gutting the bead out and the rim thing would sure do it.

Boolit Master

I remember folks doing this on the rim when 50 years ago myself - was probably much easier before steel belted radial tires !

Quote Originally Posted by WickedGoodOutdoors View Post
    Americans dont do that anymore.
    Just wait. Plenty of Americans will be doing all kinds of things "that they don't do anymore" just to survive................

In Remembrance

Some one was using tires for making salt and mineral feeders ( for livestock) and bolting plywood bottom in it. They were really durable an economical.

Boolit Master

They still got plenty of them tire planters in these parts- WV is full of them!
    USMC 1980-1985

Thanks, guys!

The inside-out tire flower pots I saw back 50 years ago didn't have one bead cut off like the Pennsylvania State University Extension article shows, the ones I saw a long time back were totally intact tires turned inside-out and stood about two feet tall. They looked exactly like ancient Greek wine amphoras and were much better looking than the one showed in the extension article, which looks kinda like a crappy old tire turned inside-out. I did see plenty of that kind with one bead cut off down in Tijuana, Mexico, back in the mid 1960s.

During the Vietnam War I had a buddy who was serving in-country in the U.S. Naval Construction Battalion as an electrician. One time on a night patrol around the compound perimeter where their hooches were, his patrol was shot up by VC. They returned fire, my buddy Carl had a selective fire M2 .30 carbine and he unloaded a full 30-round clip at one unlucky VC who showed himself. They cleaned up the mess to retrieve VC ordnance and Carl found one guy was carrying a K-Bar copy made from a Jeep spring and extra sandals made from Jeep tires with inner tube straps, which he brought home and showed to me. The sandals were very cleverly made and I made a pair for myself.

There is a method to my madness, I am trying to find a good way to utilize old tires to make outdoor storage for small size things like paint cans, weed killer, sacks of lawn fertilizer, and other supplies that just waste valuable space in my small workshop but can't be put directly outside without some protection from the sun and rain/snow. Old tires turned inside-out have lots of room inside and are easy to put a lid on made out of cement board or concrete stepping stones.

rl699
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

I think the modern tire's are built a lot better now and with all the belt's and stuff inside them that's there to go only one way, you might be S.O.L.

Boolit Master
    Some, if not all tires are made inside out, Through the tire companies have machines for turning them.

Quote Originally Posted by richbug View Post
    Some, if not all tires are made inside out, Through the tire companies have machines for turning them.

Worked in the tire industry close to 15 yrs in R&D/ Prodcution Engineering and Testing , never saw one made inside out and turned.

Loan it to my son and tell him NOT to turn it inside out!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by phaessler View Post
    Worked in the tire industry close to 15 yrs in R&D/ Prodcution Engineering and Testing , never saw one made inside out and turned.
    I toured a few plants when I used to sell tires. I clearly remember inside out tires. Are they inspected that way?

Boolit Master

Am I missing something??? how is an inside out tire any larger?? the bead will not get any bigger if both are intact. I am not from MO but I want to see one rick
    This is about 12in deep and rim is under ground
    Last edited by shotman; 05-08-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    When I was a young man I watched two guys turn a tire inside out. They used a big vise on a post and big pipe wrenches with cheater bars and pure wrasslin' muscle power. It was near 35 years ago and I wasn't really interested so I can't tell you much - just that they was a lot of grunting and cussing and pure gritty determination but they finally managed to do it. Why? They did it just because they were wondering how people made those planters - and if THEY could do it too.
    <
    Uncle R.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

i was thinking of the same thing but I did see a childs swing made out of a old tire cut all up to lool like a horse main body was the side walls. Oh when my brother was overseas he had a pair of boots made the guy measure his foot and hand sewed the leather use a tire for the soles. But as far as the turning one inside out I feel you age going to have to cut the bead on one side its steal and you need a saw saw and cable cutter well thats what I have used.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Loan it to my son and tell him NOT to turn it inside out!

Kind of reminds me of my oldest son, I always told him he could mess up a crowbar in a sandbox, LOL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast