Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Okay,supposing you

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range

Okay,supposing you

spilled some primers of different sizes on the floor.
    You have plenty of time on your hands,so that is no issue.Maybe they were the last boxes of what you did have though.
    Okay,is it safe to seperate them by size and assume that they are all okay.
    Or should I ask are there any differences that you can tell by measuring or looking closely at to determine if it is a large pistol or large rifle primer?
    I have NOT tried this yet,and really doubt that I will,but it is a question I keep wondering about....
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    The .30/06 Springfield,the ULTIMATE cartridge combat,hunting and target cartridge,a .45 single action and a good FLINTLOCK is all I need to be happy!

In Remembrance
    Large rifle and large pistol are the same diameter, but different depths. The pistol primers are more shallow by something like .010" (or so).

Good luck, and do the job with clean, dry, hands.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Thank you Sir.
    Montana Charlie,your byline reminds me of farmers,who usually have to work 3 jobs to support their farming habits!
    The .30/06 Springfield,the ULTIMATE cartridge combat,hunting and target cartridge,a .45 single action and a good FLINTLOCK is all I need to be happy!

Boolit Master
    The large primers can be separated from the small ones by placing them on the segmented tray that they are packaged in. with a little gentle shaking the small sized ones will nestle into the openings and the large sized ones can be poured off. Good luck separating the pistol primers from the rifle primers unless the priming wafer itself is a different color. Maybe a slit sieve that will pass a pistol primer and stop a rifle primer. I think the small rifle and pistol are the same height.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Banned
    Sometimes the priming compound or paper they have in the primers are different looking from rifle to pistol. Sometimes the anvils look different. The size information about was correct. Say you compare two large primers and the one cup is taller...assume that as the rifle and note it's appearance as I stated to the shorter pistol one.

Good luck

Joe

Banned

i'd assume the ones i couldn't tell were revolver primers and use them in medium loads.
    a large rifle primer over/under 8 grs of unique, isn't near as bad as a lp primer under 50 grs of rl-19 when it's 10* and hunting season.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by madcaster View Post
    Okay,is it safe to seperate them by size and assume that they are all okay. Jeff
    Well, after you got them identified I think you'd want to take a close look inside to see if the primer cake has cracked. I was told if the priming compound fractures it's more likely that it won't ignite. Maybe that Lee hardness tester microscope gadget would come in handy.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned

I'd seperate them into the respective sizes and then mark them for plinking pistol loads.

I have a tray they go to to be used as plinkers or messing around primers.2 - 5 gr bulls eye in a rifle case does not seem picky on what primer is used.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

CCI primers (LR) have yellow wafers, Rem. (LP) are orange; I saw a chart somewhere that denoted what primers had what colors of wafers. I will try and find it.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I'd seperate them into the respective sizes and then mark them for plinking pistol loads.
    Yup, that's what I did the last time I dropped any. It's been awhile, though, as my patience is short and I go to great lengths to avoid that.

Boolit Master

I ussually only have one box out at a time, so . . . they would all be the same . . .
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

primers

I have deprimed live primers,many times.my friend loads commercial so he has primers upside down some times.he gives me the rejects and I pull the bullets and
    deprime and return cases.the bullets and powder I keep.I know what the powder is so I use it. the primers I use and they all go off.
    WILDCATT