RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Load Data

Thread: smoke-poles shoot!

Boolit Master

smoke-poles shoot!

Been shooting my .32 steadily all spring, and decided to shoot my .50 yesterday. Aint shot it since last fall. 40 yards off hand, and put 3 into a vertical slot about 1.25 inches long! Made a sight adjustment, and shot 3 more balls that were well inside of 2 inches. Man, dont this thing shoot. I can shoot any of my smoke guns much better than any of my modern smokeless jobs. Next up, need to find an older t/c and get a .40 barrell for it. BTW, load in the .50 was 70 grs of shuetzen fff, lee high lube, blue jeans patch, and homemade .490 lee balls. Like the .32 better though, this load in the .50 slaps my cheek awful!

Boolit Master
    For me I like a bit of weight in a 50.

My plains rifle has a 32" x 1" barrel and my long rifle has a 41" barrel.

I used to have a short rifle with a 30" x 15/16" barrel but it has gone to another shooter.

Who made yours?
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    For me I like a bit of weight in a 50.

My plains rifle has a 32" x 1" barrel and my long rifle has a 41" barrel.

I used to have a short rifle with a 30" x 15/16" barrel but it has gone to another shooter.

Who made yours?
    Mine is an investarms, bought 20 years ago. I think it is similar to todays lyman gun. It has beautiful figured walnut,and a very smooth bore.

Boolit Master
    mainiac, I too am impressed with round-ball accuracy. For plinking and such, the front stuffers will get it done with the best of them! I built some sort of CVA kit back in the '80's, a 45 caliber, and with around 45 grains of Pyro or black it would shoot better than I could hold at about any range that I could see good enough to shoot at. My dad still has this gun, I mostly think of it as part of the family now(I guess I'm just kind of a sentimental old fool when it comes to good shootin' irons.)
    I have gotten away from BP over the years, but recently started working with Pyrodex again in my Ruger Vaquero 45 Colt. I am happy to say the magic is still there, I love this stuff! Reading your post makes me think I need to get out that old 45 front-stuffer and do it right. Thanks for the report!
    lathesmith

.40cal flintlock at 100 metres/110 yards off the bench. Yes, RB guns shoot.

Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    .40cal flintlock at 100 metres/110 yards off the bench. Yes, RB guns shoot.

Thats my next move,,, a .40 Friend has a old hawkin, and want to buy it,so i can put a long .40 barrell on it.They say the .40 is the most accurate,so i want to try one. Question, wouldnt the .36 be just as accurate? My .32 is extremily accurate, AS LONG AS THE WIND DONT BLOW! Another question, what is the diameter of the round ball in a .40? Where can i get a mold? thanks,

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know how anyone can say the 40 is the most accurate. Same principal with the BP guns and a RB is a RB. Personally I would get a cal. that is a little more common(like the 36 you mentioned) unless you really have your heart set on it. 36 should do just as well and I haven't looked but Dixiegunworks has allot of BP stuff and odd size moulds to include allot of RB mould. That would be a good place to look.
    Aim small, miss small!