Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are you guys buying your 44 ammo?

Boolit Mold

Where are you guys buying your 44 ammo?

Recently got a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk. Shot a box of shells so far (50) and love the gun. Now I'm looking for the best deals on ammo. Since I've been looking, I now see how scarce this ammo is. I can't even get it in my town. Only two stores here sell it, Walmart and Big 5 and both are always out. Have to go online to look.

So far the best deal I've seen is here.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...oft-point-ammo

That's actually the best price I've seen by quite a bit from every other link I've visited so far. I already ordered 2 boxes and plan on getting 10 more boxes.

Has anyone seen a better deal than this?

Surely it would make sense to reload?
    44 has to be one of the easiest to do.
    You could get the press/dies/measure for the cost of 200 factory rounds.
    HTH
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning & WELCOME about the place.
    I do not buy any ammo ???? Well I do buy .22 rimfire. Our Wally W. had the Remington HP 550 packs for $15 so I snached 2 having to show my FOID & paying with cash. Then the nice lady handed me the plastic double bagged pachage.
    Reloading IS where the best ammo deals are. You can get a hand opperated Lee Loader & reload those 44's for less than a new 2 boxes. Then all is $'s in your pocket.
    I shoot 41 mag & can reload for $5 a box of 50... 44 mag works out the same. The brass casing is reusable many times.
    Probably there is a Castboolits member near you that can Face to Face get ya moving on a life of ammo independence.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Wow, people actually buy ammo? Not me, ain't sure of the last time I bought any ammo that wasn't 22 rimfire. Reload dude you won't save any money but you'll shoot alot more. Think about going to the range with 500 44mag rounds instead of 50. Dennis

Boolit Master

My full-house .44 Magnums cost me about $5 per box and an hour or so of my time to load.
    I can live with the $5 and I don't have a social life to speak of, so the hour per box is just time that I don't waste watching the teevee.

I was out to the range one time last year with my .308 bolt gun and some of my $7 per hundred cast boolit loads. One of the state police snipers showed up with his rifle and some $45 per box of 20 (that's $225 per hundred) Federal match ammo. We both shot some nice 1-1/2" or so groups at 100 yards. He was surprised. I wasn't. BTW, his scope was worth more than my car.

Even if you spent a thousand dollars getting set up to handload and cast boolits, you would probably break even in a year's shooting. The money that you save on ten or fifteen boxes of ammo will buy a new gun, and a set of dies to load your own. Or you could spend the money that you save on components and have several years of shooting with the savings.

Jack

Boolit Master
    I've been dealing with Midsouth Shooters Suppy for a long time, they have always done right by me. I have 44 mag ammo on back order for probably 6 months but we all know there is a supply shortage everwhere. Cheapest ain't always the best. Midsouth's owner was recently written up in one of the GUN Rags as being a great guy that does his part to further the shooting sports.

Winelover

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

Boolit Master
    I agree. Reload. If I did not reload, I would not be shooting, period. There is also the satisfaction that comes with loading your own ammo. You can buy a Lee Anniversary reloading kit for about $ 100.00. A friend of mine just did. I am not very mechanically inclined and I really enjoy it. Once you get started, be prepared to get addicted to it.

The only ammunition I have bought in the last year was 20 rounds of .41 magnum (I still have 14 rounds left) and a box of .327 Federal (still have 32 rounds left of that) that only because Starline doesn't make the brass yet.

That being said, I have had better luck at small local shops than big retailers, though I cannot imagine buying more than one box.

The only reason I buy factory ammunition now is to put six rounds through a new gun just to make sure everything is functional before I reload for it, and to have one box of factory ammo on hand for self-defense purposes. If the gun blows up with the first round, I don't want the manufacturer saying that it was my reloads that did it.

Join in, you won't be sorry.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Mold
    Damn, you guys have got me mighty interested in reloading now.

Some questions:

I found the "Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit" posted here.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...requestid=2642

What else do I need? Never reloaded before, dunno squat about it, powder, primers, bullets, etc?

How many times can you reload a shell?
    Where do you get your empty shells?
    Last edited by Mike89; 12-31-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have not bought factory ammo (other then rimfire) in a very long time.

44mag would be really easy to start reloading with, just save your brass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
    Damn, you guys have got me mighty interested in reloading now.

Some questions:

I found the "Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit" posted here.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...requestid=2642

What else do I need? Never reloaded before, dunno squat about it, powder, primers, bullets, etc?

How many times can you reload a shell?
    Where do you get your empty shells?
    Before you buy anything see if you can find someone local to mentor you, and give you hands on experience. Not everyone has the mentality to be a reloader. See if you have what it takes, before investing a lot of money.

Boolit Master

First, slug the barrel, although with a BlackHawk, you can mike the chambers. Size to a tight fit.
    You will need large pistol primers, powder that will fit your needs, and a mold that will drop what you are looking for. Sizers are next, and pan lubing.
    The more you ask here, the more you will get for information. What casting, what powder?
    I prefer Lee Molds. They all work for me.
    The more you ask, the more information you will get.
    And welcome.

Boolit Master
    Not quite sure how much money I have “saved” over the last few years by reloading. But I have been able to shoot a TON and still have a few pennies in my pocket.

Boolit Buddy
    I load my own 44mag {same as others here say}
    Best loaded factory ammo for price is at WalMart $32.97
    I have very little 44 bullets left that are jacketed to reload with so looking for a mould.
    Was shooting 210 and 240 weight jacketed

Mike89,
    You don't have anything showing your location but if your in my area would be pleased to help you get started. Have my late brother in law's stuff in storage and could talk to the widow about selling it. Would strongly reccomend your finding someone with experience to get you headed in the right direction. Like others have said you may not save any money but will get a LOT more shots for your dollar. PM me if you need to as I may not catch this thread again for a few days,

Dave
    Ignorence killed the cat---Curiosity was framed.

Friday Jones

Boolit Master
    Mike, only thing I can add is for you to get a recipe book say Speers book it's a good 'en not only will it have recipies for various powders and bullet combinations it also has a basic tutorial on hand loading your own ammo. Get after it Dude you'll only wonder why you waited so long to start. But of cours if you listen to these guys advice you'll end up as broke as me. Dennis

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.

Thumbs up Loading the 44

You might like to look into www.ammodepot.com. Hit product list then scroll down on the left side to the Lee entries. You can get presses, dies and casting equipment for better prices than Cabellas. I've had a number of more expensive presses and couldn't see much benifit over the Lees. (If I didn't reload I could not afford this hobby.)

I'd recommend a 90928 Turret Press Kit over the "O" press Kit. In the long run I believe you'd be satisfied for a longer period of time. I have the "O" press and wish I'd have kept the turret. Helice

P.S. Its nice to see another Californian in the group. Welcome!

Buy ammo?????? You can buy ammo???

Swamprat
    WE DONT RENT PIGS!!!

Boolit Master
    I am proud to say i load for 34 different calibers,and,i buy 22s.thats all just 22s.
    friends keep me in wheelweights...trades abound here.

welcome and good shooting!

Boolit Master

I have a .44 Special by Charter Arms coming to my dealer thru auction arms for 295 bucks. Once I won the auction I immediatly fired off an order to Starline for 250 pieces of brass.

I have a mold {Lee 240 gr LSWC 6 Banger} for when I loaded a .44 Mag for a friends .44 MAG RUGER REDHAWK. He moved away but I kept the mold.

I have Large Pistol Primers, powder up the ying yang and the brass was delivered yesterday. All I am waiting for is the gun.

You have to be insane to buy factory ammo for your gun. It is so easy to load and so much fun. You can buy a Lee Loader and load slowly or spend more bucks and buy a Lee Turret Press, Scale, Lee 4-20 CASTING POT, a set of dies, some primers and powder. Start getting wheel weights and lay ahold of a cast iron duty oven and a turkey fryer with a can of propane. You should be able to get all this for less than $200 and be able to make ammo for about $3 or less a box of 50.

WARNING; THIS CAN LEAD TO A LIFETIME ADDICTION.

Soon you will be spending all your spare time at tire shops looking for WW's and schmoozing up the staff. Next you will be lusting for molds for which you have not a gun. Then scrounging brass again for a non existant weapon. Then you will find yourself shooting just so you can have the brass to reload.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Banned

just go to the top of this page and click on the lee logo it'll take you right to their sight.
    i'd get their o frame press,and maybe a set of their dies.
    to start.
    the very first thing i'd buy though is a book [and read it] then ask questions as you go along.
    i'd start with some jacketed bullets to learn with.
    a good scale not lee's and a good caliper set are a must also.
    read the directions with each piece of equipment you buy,and refer to them when you are using it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast