Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Cookie Cutter for 50-90 Boolits in pan lube?

Boolit Master

Cookie Cutter for 50-90 Boolits in pan lube?

I have cast a bunch of .511 dia 695 Gr boolits for my BPCR and since my lubricizer is full of lube for smokeless I will need to pan lube these babies.

However I do not have a suitable cookie cutter to slide over these boolits to remove them and the precious lube from the pan.

Would a .50 BMG case work? 28 Gauge shotgun hull? Any suggestions or a donation of a fired .50 BMG case would really be a help.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    I've tried a number of methods for removing bullets from the lube cake including the cookie cutter method. What I find works best is to line the pan with aluminum foil. Once the lube cake has hardened (say 2 or 3 hours), I remove it from the pan and peel off the aluminum foil. Then I flip it over so that the bullets are resting on their noses and, starting on one corner, push the lube cake down gently until the first bullets come free. I then carefully work my way through the whole thing diagonally. I find that pushing on the large surface area of the lube cake works way way better than trying to push the bullets through, or trying to cut them out.

that's my $0.02 anyway

edit: my best attempt at the cookie cutter technique was to use a copper plumbing connector I bought at home depot. I found that using bullet cases with soft lube caused the bullets to just get stuck inside of the "cookie cutter".

Chris.

I would think the 1/2 COPPER tee would work

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Boolit Master

I finally wised up and did a search under cookie cutters and got a whale of a load of information.

Next I took my butt to a local golf club maker who I have done business with years ago. I walked in and posed my problem.

After a thorough explanation of what I was trying to do and why I needed a clylinder of exactly .512 diameter he scrounged around in his parts bin and found two pieces of stainless steel golf club shafts. Since I had brought calipers we quickly found two excellent candidates.

When I got home I removed the masking tape and clean them up with file inside and outside to get a good sharp surface.

I put it to use immediately and rendered 26 of those monster boolits quickly and easily and they are now resting in a small carboard box in readiness for assembly into loaded rounds.

Another 30 rounds went back into the pan. 26 into the holes in the lube left by the previous occupants and when the lube melted I was able to add 4 more into the soup. I am waiting for the lube to solidify and then repeat etc.

Of course my shooting buddy was told of this adventure and he has claimed my extra cutter and wants to go back there and get some for his 45-90.

My pleasure since he is making me a portable shooting bench and a stand for my drop tube etc.

Next project will be a bullet trap to save our lead for future use. HOW ABOUT AN EIGHTEEN INCH SQUARE BULLET TRAP>

Front edges to be lined with channel steel and sides of thin plywood with a backing plate of 3/8 inche armor plate steel {removable for transport} and a depth of 48 inches and filled with rubber chunks from Lowes.

We have four shooters all using BPCR from 45-90 thru 50-120 and I hate to seel all the lead left in some berm to be wasted.

I figure between us we should be able to transport this to the range in a pick up and take it out to range we want to.

Report to follow.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Corrigan View Post
    I finally wised up and did a search under cookie cutters and got a whale of a load of information.

Next I took my butt to a local golf club maker who I have done business with years ago. I walked in and posed my problem.

After a thorough explanation of what I was trying to do and why I needed a clylinder of exactly .512 diameter he scrounged around in his parts bin and found two pieces of stainless steel golf club shafts. Since I had brought calipers we quickly found two excellent candidates.

When I got home I removed the masking tape and clean them up with file inside and outside to get a good sharp surface.

I put it to use immediately and rendered 26 of those monster boolits quickly and easily and they are now resting in a small carboard box in readiness for assembly into loaded rounds.

Another 30 rounds went back into the pan. 26 into the holes in the lube left by the previous occupants and when the lube melted I was able to add 4 more into the soup. I am waiting for the lube to solidify and then repeat etc.

Of course my shooting buddy was told of this adventure and he has claimed my extra cutter and wants to go back there and get some for his 45-90.

My pleasure since he is making me a portable shooting bench and a stand for my drop tube etc.

Next project will be a bullet trap to save our lead for future use. HOW ABOUT AN EIGHTEEN INCH SQUARE BULLET TRAP>

Front edges to be lined with channel steel and sides of thin plywood with a backing plate of 3/8 inche armor plate steel {removable for transport} and a depth of 48 inches and filled with rubber chunks from Lowes.

We have four shooters all using BPCR from 45-90 thru 50-120 and I hate to seel all the lead left in some berm to be wasted.

I figure between us we should be able to transport this to the range in a pick up and take it out to range we want to.

Report to follow.
    That sounds a little better than my copper fitting idea

Happy new year,

Chris.