Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best mold for 30/30 hunting?

Was anyone able to recover any boolits from their deer?

Boolit Master

Dannix
    Blammer right here on this site sells gator gas checks. send him a PM

Blammer you're just bragging again about another bullet. But I have to say I agree with you on that bullet.
    I have the Rd mold, a 150 grain mold, a 311041 mold and some others the best of the bunch is anything made by NOE. Yea I really do like their molds.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

Unwanted "Bumping Up" of Nose Diameter During Sizing

I noticed that one response indicated that occasionally the bullet nose diameter was "bumped up" during the sizing operation. I have been plagued with that, and found an answer. Get the raw bullets "cold" before sizing. I mean like below 40 degrees F. I'm not sure of the actual point where deformation occurs, but if I keep the bullets cold before and during the sizing operation, they do not "bump up". My experience is with a Lee single cavity gas checked .309-170F. "As cast" nose diameter is .298, but if sized in Lyman Lubri-Sizer while warm, they "bump up" to about .302 on the nose. Too much for several friends' pre-64 Winchester .30-30's. Also, go easy when you hit bottom of the stroke, or you will also "bump up". Hope this helps some.

BTW, the alloy I've been using is 50% WW and 50% pure lead. No leading with Carnuba Red up over 2000 fps. Gas check is Hornady. With my particular mold, the Lyman ones fall off.

Wisdom comes from experience, and a lot of that wisdom comes from bad experiences.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    Dannix
    Blammer right here on this site sells gator gas checks. send him a PM
    Yeah, I'm going to be getting in touch with him once the time comes (I'm flat out right now, not much time for hobbies).

I got the ball rolling on another group by for the 311-165. Here's the active thread if anyone is interested:
    Re-Run of the 311-165gr GCRF Group Buy is Here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123