Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best mold for 30/30 hunting?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    In the cast boolit archives junior wrote a very good article comparing the Lyman, RCBS,LEE and Ranch-Dog boolits. The archives here are very valuable do your self a favor and search them.
    This the link you are referring to?
    http://www.castbullet.com/reload/meplat.htm

Anyone know where the "Ranch Dog TLC311-165-RF" referred to in the above link can be had and for how much?

I scrounged about 50lbs of WW and thinking about getting into casing for a 1894 30-30 carbine. I assume gas checks can be set without a sizer? A sizer is not in the budget right now.
    Last edited by Dannix; 02-02-2010 at 05:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post

Anyone know where the "Ranch Dog TLC311-165-RF" referred to in the above link can be had and for how much?

I scrounged about 50lbs of WW and thinking about getting into casing for a 1894 30-30 carbine. I assume gas checks can be set without a sizer? A sizer is not in the budget right now.
    You'll have to buy it used, custom order it from Lee, or buy one the next time they do a group buy. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=54374
    Last edited by jimkim; 02-02-2010 at 05:54 AM.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

Buy a Lee push through sizer in .309 or .310 that will size your bullets using a regular press and seat the gas checks too. Just putting on the gas checks by hand would not work well they would be too loose. The Lee push through sizers are inexpensive and work fine.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Moderator Emeritus

I'll add the 311407 just so you will be another of the thousands searching to find one.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

There are too many good ones.

After being lost in that wilderness for a short while I decided that I was going cut back to just 2 designs for the 30-30 (Lyman 311041 and RCBS 30-180-FN) in order to keep the load development activity to sane levels.

And I wasn't going to dabble in any other 30-30 molds. But then the NOE/Swede copy of the 311407 came along and I bought one of those too.... It takes a lot of willpower.

-ktw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    You'll have to buy it used, custom order it from Lee, or buy one the next time they do a group buy. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=54374
    Looks like I'm going to have to lurk ebay for a bit and get in on the next group buy if I don't find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
    Buy a Lee push through sizer in .309 or .310 that will size your bullets using a regular press and seat the gas checks too. Just putting on the gas checks by hand would not work well they would be too loose. The Lee push through sizers are inexpensive and work fine.
    Got a vendor recommendation? I'm going to have to read up on how to slug my barrel.

ktw, got a link to the NOE/Swede copy of the 311407?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=53743

-ktw

Boolit Master

Looks like I'm going to have to lurk ebay for a bit and get in on the next group buy if I don't find anything.

Got a vendor recommendation? I'm going to have to read up on how to slug my barrel.

You can order from Lee Direct if I am not mistaken or most places have the lee stuff for sale like Midway or Grafs ect or you can get your local gun shop to order it for ya. I just bought a 309 size sizer with out measuring the bore and mine shoot fine. Others here have said they size their bullets for the 30/30 at 309 also. Others at .310 I think either will work just fine.

OK I see they do not offer the 310 they do offer the 309 or the 311 so I would go with the 309.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata.../lubesize.html

Price is $19.95

If you really want a 310 they will custom make you one for $29.00
    Last edited by jh45gun; 02-03-2010 at 12:18 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post

If you really want a 310 they will custom make you one for $29.00
    If you take your .309 sizer, cover a half dozen bullets with lapping compound and push them through, you will get a .310. It's easy, just remember to keep checking it so you don't overdo it. Remember to clean the die after your done.
    .444 Old Timer, Canadian Shooting Sports Association Life Member - CSSA rocks!
    I support Canada's troops. Always caring, always Canadian, never defeated!

Boolit Bub
    I have the Lee .309 and it shoots great in my 336, I use the Lee 170 flat nose, size at .309 and shoot the heck out of em.(gas checked)

Boolit Master

Yep I use mine sized .309 for my Win 94.

Boolit Master
    You guys do as you please , but FWIW when i was casting and shooting alot of 30-30 stuff I sized them ALL at .312" !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whit Spurzon View Post
    6pt-Sika, how fast are you pushing that Lee 170 grain with the SR 4759?
    It was in the 1550-1700 range . I never ran it over a Chrony but judging by the load tables etc I think thats a safe estimation !

To be honest it shocked the S..T outta me when I shot that deer ! She was about a 100 pound live weight doe at 40 yards . Shot her behind the shoulder and she took maybe 20 steps and rolled over dead !

After that I had similar experiences with the Lyman 311041 , RD 311-165 and the Saeco 30-150 but these were all pushed closer to the 2000 FPS range .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Lyman 311041 and Saeco 316 are two that I use in my Marlins. I bet that there will be another group buy of the NOE RD 311-165. It might be a few more months though. In the meantime I would buy the 311041 for starters.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

311041 with 29.0gr. IMR-4895 1"or so at 100yds.
    Endeavor to persevere

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

45-70 marlin, i use that same load w/lee 170 gc .310. that load will shoot the darn stripes of a skunk @ 100y. ask me how i know. it's not what you got it's -way you give!

Banned

This boolit is a winner. 311041

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suo Gan View Post
    I bet that there will be another group buy of the NOE RD 311-165. It might be a few more months though. In the meantime I would buy the 311041 for starters.
    Yeah, I hope so; I posted another "me too" in group-buy thread. I'm rather busy right now so I don't mind waiting until summer, but I'll go 311041 if a group buy isn't done at that point.

You guys got a good gas cap source? All the prices I've seen put them at more than 1/3 the 6.7cent/rnd 9mm FMJ I buy.

Anyone ever try a Lachmiller 311175FN?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast