RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Marlin 1895m

Marlin 1895m

I have an 1895m in 450 marlin. I know that the 450 is the same as the 45-70 with the exception of the belt. Has anyone had any success with using 45-70 in the 450?
    Inquiring minds wanna know, and I have some 45-70 brass just lying around.

Thanks
    Ratt

I don't see how you could do that. If you turn the heads down, you're still missing the belt.

Just sell or trade your 45-70 brass instead IMHO.
    Endowment Life Member NRA
    Life Member NAHC
    Journeyman WECSOG'er

Boolit Master

Talking

The 450 Marlin was designed to give 45-70 hot load performance right from the factory with brass designed to handle the pressures with out the dangers of older guns like a Trapdoor Springfield's pressure limits. There is confusion with the 45-70 as to reloading it by the fact that hand loading manuals give three pressure levels of loads because of the dangers involved. Supposed I gave you some 45-70's that were loaded to the overall length for a Marlin or Trapdoor Springfield but were loaded to the pressure limits of a Ruger No1 could you tell the difference? The 450 Marlin has never been chambered in a weak action and then chambered in a much stronger action like the 45-70 has. The 450 Marlin was designed with the belt to prevent 45-70 from being chambered causing an accident. Years ago Winchester trying to grab some of the market from Marlin over their 35 Remington, came out with the Model 94 Big Bore chambered for 375 Winchester and people were putting these in 38-55's causing a problem. No you can not shoot 45-70"s in a 450 Marlin do as O.S.O.K. said, sell the 45-70 brass and get some 450 Marlin brass.

Boolit Master
    45-70s will not chamber in a 450 marlin and the reverse wont work either. The belt on the 450 was also made longer than the standard belt so that some nimrod could not chamber one in say a 300 win mag and blow himself up.

Boolit Master

Talking

Also not allow you to chamber it in a 458 Win Mag.