Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What mold for 357 Rossi levergun?

What mold for 357 Rossi levergun?

Hello guys. I need some advice on a mold for my new Rossi Model 92 Trapper. I've got RCBS, Lyman, and some Lee molds for my other leverguns (30-30, 44 mag, 35 Rem, and 45-70), but oddly enough, my boolet casting hasn't included casting for my 38 Special or 357 mag revolvers. I've always bought SWC boolits for those needs in bulk. I bought the Rossi for a truck gun, to plink with, or to use on the occasional coyote or deer if it was what I was carrying when the opportunity came. I'd kind of like to stay with 158 grains or thereabouts. If I need to use heavier boolits I'll use one of my other rifles--probably 30-30 or 35 Remington (or 45-70 if the opportunity to shoot a dinosaur comes up).

I'd like a mold that would cast something I'd use for my S & W revolvers as well. The Trapper seems to feed 38 sp swc's okay. I've thought about the 158 gr Lee rnfp, or maybe a Lyman or RCBS swc. For this time around I don't think I need anything in a gascheck configuration.

I respectfully solicit your opinions, comments, and suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Banned

rcbs 158 rnfp not the cowboy one either.

Boolit Master

Lyman 358156 GC loaded in 38 cases (you will lose brass with the strong ejector spring) over 12 grns of 2400. Never had to shoot anything twice. Hollow points are a waste at rifle velositys. But I bet you already knew that.........

Jack rabbits lose their togetherness with this load......
    Last edited by Cactus Farmer; 12-30-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: another thought
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    rcbs 158 rnfp not the cowboy one either.
    Thanks for your reply. I just went on the RCBS website and saw 2 molds that were 38 cal rnfp. They were a 140 gr and a 158 gr, both plain base. They both had the designation "CM"--as in 38-158-CM. I didn't see any others. It seems these are "cowboy molds" maybe? Do you have an RCBS part number for the non-cowboy mold? I don't expect to be cowboy shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Farmer View Post
    Lyman 358156 GC loaded in 38 cases (you will lose brass with the strong ejector spring) over 12 grns of 2400. Never had to shoot anything twice. Hollow points are a waste at rifle velositys. But I bet you already knew that.........

Jack rabbits lose their togetherness with this load......
    Hi Cactus Farmer. I've used a 158 gr Lyman plain base, Keith type SWC and it feeds OK through that new carbine. I'll try some store bought ones that I've got on hand. I've got a cast bullet supplier who'll sell me some 358156's to try. I've already got gc's and sizers because I load 35 Remington. I knew about the strong spring thing. I know an old gunsmith who can fix that--in fact I've got to have him do the same for my 44 mag but I just never got around to it. After New Years I'll contact Kiowa Jones for a replacement for that plastic follower, too. As for hollowpoints--yeah, I heard that from another old timer when I first started out. I've never loaded a HP boolet for any of my rifles.

Boolit Master

Hey Pal

Go to lasc.us and read Glenn Fryxell's article on 1894 Marlins for a good starting point. Round nose/flat point is always a good design to start with in lever guns. I was pretty happy with LYMAN 358665 until I got the NIGHT OWL ENTERPRISES 360 180 WFN, in plain base and gas check designs both. The 358156 worked well for me also, but they aren't giving gas checks away. 357446 is good, but discontinued(?) so you have to find a used mould.

The MARLINS like a larger boolit, cast hard, probably gas checked, and at higher velocities. I don't know about similar quirks in the ROSSI.

John Taffin did an article in AMERICAN HANDGUNNER recently on loading for 357 revolvers and lever guns. It's on their web site and there's additional loading data in the "web blast" section.

Banned

the lyman 358665 is very similar to the one i have. the [rcbs] is pretty old and i can't make out any other than 8-158 on it,it predates the cowboy mold but i know the cowboy one works well also.
    the lyman has a flatter meplat than the rcbs. and the cowboy ends up with a longer aol.
    if i had to pick one over the other it'd depend if i wanted to hunt with it, if so it'd be the lyman.
    the rcbs glides through the levergun slick though.

Boolit Master

I have a Rossi too,although not the Trapper. The 358156's feed like greased lightening in mine so it seems like you can use whatever you can find in the way of molds.......
    My old Rossi was the first one to hit town years ago,it was rough to load,many burrs in the recieverand mag tube. I deburred it and a little polishing on the internals fixed it up like an old Winchester 92 would be. It's amazing as to the power increase you get from a rifle with pistol ammo. I have a S&W 44 629 and a Browning 92 copy in 44 as a set. 30-30's don't show me anything in killing power or accuracy out to 150+ yards. 357 Mag is almost as good. These rifle pistol combos are my hands down favs. I shoot them more than any other guns sans
    22lr stuff. My Rossi will be the most used of these four. 38 Spec with 3.5 grns of
    bullseye and 356402 Lymans are like shooting a 22 with a great deal more umph.
    no great noise and recoil with deadeye dick accuracy. If a larger target appears slip in a 358156 with the 12 grns of 2400 and it's DTR. You can't kill 'em but so dead! Did I say I love these guns?
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    My main boolits for my 20" Rossi are:

358156 - I have a DC in PB and a SC/HP-GC. Covers 95% of my shooting.

C358180RF/GC - Covers the other 3% (Medium Game Hunting out to 100yds or so)

I reserve last 2% for other tricks like RB loads & "collar Button" triplex loads
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot the 16" Carbine, and have had really good luck with the Lee 358158RF, over 6.5gn Unique, in 357 cases. They feed great, and accuracy has been excellent. Also used the Lyman 358156 and 358477 with good luck, but hate to use the expensive gaschecks, if I can get by without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmall 1066 View Post
    I shoot the 16" Carbine, and have had really good luck with the Lee 358158RF, over 6.5gn Unique, in 357 cases. They feed great, and accuracy has been excellent. Also used the Lyman 358156 and 358477 with good luck, but hate to use the expensive gaschecks, if I can get by without them.
    Farmall, you and others have said good things about the Lyman 358156--and I guess I'll have to get me a mold. I think I know where I can get one cheap. You're the first to offer an opinion on the Lee 358158RF. I looked at a couple of Lee molds on line. The smaller RF has a bevel base--something I'd kind of like to avoid. The one you mention seems to be flat based--yes? For what the Lee molds cost I may have to get me one of these as well.

I really want one of the 20 or 24 inch rifles, but I'm kinda hung up on the 358429. I absolutely love it.

I can only hope that I can get a rifle that will feed it. I'm no fan of the RF boolits.

I was just out at the range with my Rossi Trapper, levering and firing a few shots, mostly to see how it functions. I had some 38's w/commercial-cast 158 gr swc's, and some 357's loaded with Winchester 158 gr hollowpoints. Both boxes of this ammo had been loaded a while ago, mainly for my revolvers. I had no feeding problems with either cartridge. I didn't shoot for accuracy. That project will have to happen later. I do see why there's so many guys praising those Rossi carbines, though. Pretty handy.

Boolit Master
    I have a six cavity lee mold for their 158 gr RF and it shoots well in my rossi and marlin carbines. I use ACWW and 7 gr of Unique with no leading and good accuracy. I have also used the same bullet with 17 gr of W296 accuracy was acceptable (4 inches at 100 yards) and I got no leading using 50-50 alox and bees wax. I got the six cavity mold because I was looking for a RF bullet for the 357 mag and the lee six cavity with handles cost me less than did a 2 cavity lyman mold with no handles. It sure puts out bullets fast when I am making them.

Boolit Mold
    I'm picking up my Rossi soon, and I just happen to have a large quantity of very nicely made 190 grain flat point non-GC boolits (looks like http://www.dw.co.za/~wrm/GunSite/S6301163r.jpg).

I was thinking of using these with the Rossi but looks like you fellows are all recommending 158 grainers? Was thinking the lower velocity will make sure I don't get leading?

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    I'm picking up my Rossi soon, and I just happen to have a large quantity of very nicely made 190 grain flat point non-GC boolits (looks like http://www.dw.co.za/~wrm/GunSite/S6301163r.jpg).

I was thinking of using these with the Rossi but looks like you fellows are all recommending 158 grainers? Was thinking the lower velocity will make sure I don't get leading?
    Yah. If they aren't dead soft, keep them around 1500 and you should be fine. At least that's how mine acts.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Buddy
    That 358158RF Lee bullet is my favorite for all general purpose 38 / 357 shooting.
    Don't really use the 358156 that much, but it is a good performer.

My Lee has a slight bevel, but not enough to bother with anything. However, it seems the ammount of bevel you get is dependent on who is cutting molds at Lee that day! If it weren't for those Lee 6-Holers, my guns would go hungry!

Andy

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironsights View Post
    Yah. If they aren't dead soft, keep them around 1500 and you should be fine. At least that's how mine acts.
    I'm still learning here...at 1500fps, you'd need a gas check, correct? Regardless of how hard the lead is?

After shooting my 357 a bit more, I discovered I had a really bad jamming problem if I loaded 38 specials with more than 4 in the magazine. After wrestling with this problem, and consulting with my gunsmith (he thought he had the problem licked but didn't) and Nate Kiowa Jones via email, both suggested that for 38 special loads that I load the bullet out for a longer overall length. I then tried this with a Lee 125 gr RNFN bullet, seating and crimping to just below the leading edge of the grease groove. Problem gone. No problem at all though, had I wanted a 4 shooter or if I were going to stick with 357 brass. A neighbor who rents apartments discovered, after a tenant moved out, a box of fired 38 special brass that held over 1000 mixed cases, and asked if I wanted them. That's what got me stuck on using this gun with 38 spl brass more than with 357 cases. These are nice, handy rifles. The 158 gr mold is probably the best choice, with the 125 being an excellent plinker.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by vanilla_gorilla View Post
    I really want one of the 20 or 24 inch rifles, but I'm kinda hung up on the 358429. I absolutely love it.

I can only hope that I can get a rifle that will feed it. I'm no fan of the RF boolits.
    I have 2 Rossi's a 20" and 24". They both will feed the 358429 just fine but you cannot crimp them in the crimp groove in Mag brass, they are then too long. They work just fine crimped in .38 spl brass,or taper crimped about a 1/3 of the way up the front drive band or crimped over the front drive band in mag brass.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast