Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lightest gallery load for 45/70

Boolit Mold
    45-70 Squib.
    Here's a pic of the Ø.500" round ball pure lead, run though a 45 ACP carbide sizer at Ø.460, then to form a meplat bump the nose against a flat seater punch then push it through a 458 LEE sizer then some LEE liquid lube. 3.5 grains Bullseye, LR primers. I tried with 2.5 gr Bullseye and 5 grains Bullseye, the 5 gr load was more than I wanted and the 2.5 gr not enough pressure to seal the end of the case so the 3.5's are loaded and ready for the Chronotach hopefully tomorrow.

Lost

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwill48 View Post
    I use 2.5gr of 700x and a 405 Cast. Will penatrate to the base of the bullet in a well seasoned oak stump (end grain). Sounds about like a CCI Long CB cap.

James
    Thanks for the idea. I like this. After trying RB loads that looked like shotgun patterns, I tried 3.0 gr of Promo under 405 cast. Three shots touching in the bullseye at 25 yards from my TD. Not much noise. This is going to be fun.

Boolit Mold
    No velocity check yet on the 3.5 gr Bullseye loading but certainly more velocity than the 2.5 grs. Not much more noise and carries up almost as much as the 5 gr load when shot off the back porch in the snow at 40 yards. Almost all in the same hole when tested in the basement at about 35 feet. Just right for Rabbits and Grouse and Squirrels and other furred and feathered game close range using the same cross hair sighting alignment as the 415 gr Magma at 1360 fps. Kinda like this 45-70 cartridge.
    Lost

Boolit Mold
    Velocity from my Oehler 33 averages out at 624 fps, just right for me for this CB
    Lost

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lostknife View Post
    Velocity from my Oehler 33 averages out at 624 fps, just right for me for this CB
    Lost
    What kind of ES and SD did you have?
    I've loaded some with around 3 grains of bullseye and a .490 round ball sized to 458 and they shot pretty decent. I was thinking upping the charge a little would give some more consistency shot to shot.

Did you just load and shoot or tip the barrel up to position the powder each time? Wondering what type of change that makes with a fast easy lighting powder like red dot or bullseye.

Boolit Master

Any updates here?

This makes me wonder about some other galleries loads .

Say for a .223 keep it 22lr velocity's. Bolt Acton.

Or 30-30 30-06.

I shoot at a small indoor range and anything to fast will just damage the range but it would be fun to shoot my larger guns more then a few time a year.

You mean like these

Recipes for "Mouse Fart" Loads in 30-06

Next post will link

I'm just the welder, go ask him>

I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Thanks.

Boolit Master

Don't someone recently have a similar thread on this?
    I thought someone had mentioned the lack of accuracy over 1200 fps and someone else chimed in on how the bullet was going trans sonic and messed with accuracy at 50 yards but the accuracy cleaned up a bit at 100 yards once the bullet was sub sonic again. Any info on that?
    The whole discussion was in relation to the GMDR lever gun load data.

Boolit Grand Master

I was looking for this thread awhile back and I couldn't find it. Glad to see it pop up again.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I was looking for this thread awhile back and I couldn't find it. Glad to see it pop up again.
    Especially since Lyman reintroduced the 145 grain ''collar button'' 457130 bullet mould a few years back.

Boolit Grand Master
    My small game load is 9 gr Unique and a .457 RB lubed and pressed into the mouth of the case. No crimp, just remove the flair and it's off to the races. Quiet and strong enough for game.

In Remembrance

In the book, "original loading for Sharps 45-70" (or somethign like that) author lists a blackpowder indoor galleryload w blackpowder at just over 630fps w no smoke nor noise. i can look it up if you are interested in blackpowder.
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

In Remembrance

From JS and Pat Wolf's, "Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine", they list several gallery loads.
    One smokeless:
    Rapine 460210 Hollow base bullet cast 80-1(lead-tin)= 220-224gr bullet
    5gr Hercules Bullseye
    2gr cosmetic puff over powder
    Winchester or Remington case
    OAL 2.25", crimped
    vel 875fps from 32.6" barrel; recommended for 50-100yd range

and the aforementioned BP load:
    .457 lead round ball seated down onto powder
    4-6gr blackpowder, adjusted for velocity and range/POI as desired with
    5gr FFg = 570fps in rifle
    and
    5gr FFFg = 630fps in rifle
    Winchester cases with flash hole drilled to .096
    Fed 215 magnum primer

Of course, the author disavows all responsibility for you choosing to use this load, etc etc

C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master

NOE Collar Button Mould makes a nice plinking bullet right at 200 grs. 10 grs of Unique pushes it right at 1,000 fps out of my Marlin 1895 SBL. Great plinking round and is thrifty on lead in the big 45-70. They were a PITA for me to try and lube size them in my Star so I just coated them in Hi-Tek Bronze 500.

In the pic below the 3rd bullet from the left and one loaded:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bronze 500.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	243605
    Last edited by Intel6; 06-14-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    +1 on the collar button and Unique (I use 8.5 grains). I had no trouble luring them with my Lyman. Fun to plink with!

Boolit Master
    Hello
    Happy lurker rereading and enjoying this old thread.
    Great stuff! Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on the NOE collar button bullet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast