RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Mica coating on Alox loobed boolits

Boolit Grand Master

Question Mica coating on Alox loobed boolits

How many of you apply Mica or some other coating to Alox loobed boolits? How do you apply it?
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned
    I coat a few slower 223, 357/38spcl, 30/30, 35rem plinker designs with LLA and then motor mica to get rid of the stickies and it actually seems to help with accuracy on some loads...splain that one to me if you can.

I simply shake-N-bake it style in a heavy duty zipper bag or cool whip bowl once the LLA is somewhat dry. It does not take much mica either. A little goes a looooooong ways. I bought a large quart paint can of it from ballistic peoducts quite awhile back as I also use it for saboted shotgun loading on the wads....it is still 3/4 full.

I "coat" the LLA and normal lubed bullets [lube still warm & tacky] be tossing them in a plastic pan , after tossing 5 or so bullets in it I give it a shake to coat the new bullets with mica
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Grand Master
    If it is put on thin, it dries to almost like a shell. Never had the need to coat. The give-a-way that you are using to much is if it doesn't dry.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I use mica, even on bullets with the correct amount of LLA. Like 357Max, I have a three-lifetime supply of the stuff and I reason that it cannot hurt and might help a bit; so why not?

I notice or imagine a smoother feed when I dust my cast Makarov bullets with mica. Feeding the first bullet with just LLA seems to hesitate a bit on the feed ramp; not the least bit when mica is added.

I use the same plastic pickle jar for the mica as I do for the LLA, BTW. After the first use, the slight film of lube and mica doesn't get any thicker, and I've done a lot of bullets in that jar!

Boolit Buddy
    I swirl mine in an ice cream bucket with a Lee dipper of mica added. Keeps the bullets from grabbing lint when carried in a pocket afield, or from attracting that funk that accumulates in the console of the truck!
    They do seem to feed better in my semiautos this way, and come to think of it, don't gunk up my seating die as badly, either!
    Andy