WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: .25-10 Halsted AKA .25 Stevens centerfire

.25-10 Halsted AKA .25 Stevens centerfire

I had a .25 Stevens Favorite rimfire that ammunition is unobtainable for, so a conversion was in order. The .25 -10 Halsted is the centerfire version of the rimfire and only needed a conversion of the breech block to centerfire to make it work.

Brass can be made from .22 Hornet, but it's pretty involved,

so I opted for turned brass from Rocky Mountain Cartridge http://rockymountaincartridge.com/in...uct%20List.pdf. This is what they look like loaded.

It isn't a high usage gun, so I'm fine with 20 pieces of turned brass and at least it's shootable again.

I did have to buy a shell holder from http://www.ch4d.com/, since the .25 ACP dies work, but the shell holder is too small and the .22 Hornet is too big. I also use a .25 ACP bullet, since the original is heavier than what is made now.

It looks like my typing skills need some honing, since I messed up the title. It should read .25-10, not .24-10.

I made up some a while ago for a 1885 win in 25 stevens
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1771.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	188289

not sure what your doing ,the ones I made from 22hornet did not look like what you have pictured ?
    I just lubed the 22h cases with sizing wax and put the case into seating die without plug and run the cases into it with a flat top shell holder/blank and tapped out case .Cleaned off belt and into full length with proper shell holder then cleanes and loaded

I did a little different, I went and had my chamber reamed to take the 22 hornet and just shorten them to work.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

The .25 ACP die I have leaves a ring of displaced brass at the head. However, I'm also using the carbide sizing die.

Boolit Master
    It ought to put give about the maximum performance the Favorite should be asked to stand, or a bit more in the Ideal. The dies for forming the head area should be quite easy and inexpensive to make. The walls around the primer pocket are so thin, though, that some sort of stud fitting into the primer pocket should be used if you want to size it that far, to prevent reduction of the pocket.

I think the groove in front of the rim of a modern Hornet case is deep enough to make a sharp-edged die to shear off the bump left by the final sizing one.

Here's the Hornet brass a little further on in the process.

that looks a whole lot better!

Boolit Master
    Very good Use of Your Available Tools and Does Bring another Old Stevens 'Back to Life".

You might try finding some 63 to 70 grain Cast Lead Bullets for it though.
    Lyman is still selling their 257420 mold and NOE is being host to a Group buy on a "Ranch Dog TL255" Bullet Molds for .25ACP Planned Use. I have an unanswered Query in to see if NOE will also make the same Style / Design in about 65 Grain Length.
    In the Past "Hunters Supply" has sold a 63 grain "air rifle" .25 CAL bullet that I have used for my reloading of experimental .25 Stevens CF replacement Cases.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 02-19-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Since I already have a .25 ACP mold, I'll probably stick with a proper size bullet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5388 View Post
    The .25 ACP die I have leaves a ring of displaced brass at the head. However, I'm also using the carbide sizing die.
    Paul5388,
    I also have a 'Displaced ring of Brass' just above the rim on my Swaged Down Hornet Cases that I turn off in a Friends Lathe along with thinning the rim and Trimming the Rim diameter down slightly. Hornet Cases Are Lubed Before Swaging.
    This is with Single Stage Swaging the Hornet Cases from about .300" Body/Base diameter to about .276" Body, and about .280 Base, diameters.
    My Swaging of 5.7x28mm Brass in three Stages (four stages works better as of 7-13-2017) down from .314" body diameter to .276" body diameter also leave a "ring of displaced Brass' but it is small enough to shear off in my Swaging process rather than staying on the Case. The rims, at .314" Diameter and .050" nominal, don't need Turning for use. I have not needed To add Lube as the 5.7x28mm case still has the Factory Polymer coating on them and it survives my three stage Swaging Process except for a Short Area at the Base come off in the last stage.
    in both cases I expand the Neck/shoulder before Swaging down so they are 'ready' for .250"-.251" diameter Bullets I use.
    Flash Holes are Reamed to 5/64" (.078") and deburred before Loading.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 07-13-2017 at 03:47 PM. Reason: added info.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul5388 View Post
    Since I already have a .25 ACP mold, I'll probably stick with a proper size bullet.
    Paul5388,
    The .25 Stevens (Long) RF was loaded with a .251" diameter 67 Grain Lead Bullet originally.
    Available .25ACP bullets seem to be between 35 grains and 51 grains.
    There Are some .257" diameter bullets Available in the 60 to 75 grain range that will size down to .251". Lead will Size in one Stage but Jacketed should be done after Lubing in two or three Stages for Best results.
    The reasoning is that because Lead does Not 'Spring Back' as much as Jacket metal, by going the smaller steps keeps the Lead core and Jacket closer to tight fit.
    Also there is less chance of Jacket Metal 'galling' and sticking to the Sizing die bore.
    Lesson Learned early in my 'Swaging Life'.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William